Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can two appliances vent via one chimney

• 25-08-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all,

My oil burner in the garage is venting (5"/125mm?? dia ) via the chimney which is a 8"/200mm diameter internal clay liner.

I would like to install a workshop stove ( or any cheap stove) into the garage.

Assuming the stove vent is around the same size or smaller, is there any reason why I couldn't vent both appliances through the same chimney.

Chimney would only be approximately 5m from where the vent entrance to the the top of the chimney. There would also be an access hatch where both appliances would join the liner.( if this matters)

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

page 4 here
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1650,en.pdf

suggests u can but I always thought this related to open fires or stoves and not appliances with forced expulsion of exhaust gases.
    Chimney would only be approximately 5m from where the vent entrance to the the top of the chimney.

What do u mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭good one

Thanks for the reply.

I mean that the length of the chimney from where the boiler vent goes into the clay flue liner to where it exits out the top of the chimney is approximately 5m. i.e. the overall chimney length is arounfd 5m.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

While it might be technically possible to do it, a lot of boiler and stove manuals tell you to install one appliance per chimney only. It might be worth your while looking at a metal stove pipe for it. (ie. single or twin wall flue depending on your building). This would be an easy install and it wouldn't have to be too long.

Advertisement