Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any plans for some sort of "reward system" for helpful posters?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering have the folk that run this website ever thought of setting up some sort of system for rewarding the most helpful posters on this portal?

For instance after 500 or 1000 "thanked" posts something could kick in that would enable you to post in the forum that you have to pay to get into or that your login name turns a different colour or some other posting privileges - this would serve to reward good posts and good and helpful behaviour and would also let folk know posters who were decent guys and gals.

As I said just a thought and was wondering if it's come up before and what were the outcomes?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Not a bad idea, but it might provoke favouritism as well as thanks whoring

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Tallon wrote: »

True but that's why I think a one off target of x thanked posts would work better than a graduated amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I have 965 thanked posts so I support this idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

^^^966

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'm not thanking you in return :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    I have 965 thanked posts so I support this idea
    Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    ^^^966
    :) yea but theres the prob folks. A natural tendency to go Ha! to others even in gentle jest. BTW 10,572 so Har de har de feckin har har to the pair of ye. :) But you see what I mean?

Great idea if you could figure out a way to actually single out really good contributors to the various communities, without oneupmanship, whoring, "political" fallout BS or just getting others backs up. I have no clue how. The old awards notion had some merit, but it was very time consuming for the couple of peeps who had to wade through it. It would also have to work across the whole site, from Gravedigging in Botswana* forum to After Hours. If someone can crack they have the job for the vacant Solomon position.

*may or may not be a real forum. It is, but its secret and a cover for the mod them and us forum.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Aren't people usually just rewarded by their involvement already?

What I mean by that is, you wouldn't be here if it wasn't for nothing. The discussions are their own reward. Granted I can imagine the use for marking valued contributors and whatnot. While we're at it, Legends of the Boards need to get their own Stars and Titles :)

And you're not missing out on Sex and Sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think if a post gets 1000 thanks, the writer of the post should get a free boards mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think the thanks system is enough in itself. If someone 'thanks' me for a helpful post that is sufficient for me.

The only thing I can think of is a 'helpful post' button that would clearly not be used for saying 'good point' or 'I agree'. In other words the suggestion that has been made before of splitting the thanks into 'appreciation of help' and general 'I agree' stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wibbs wrote: »
    BTW 10,572 so Har de har de feckin har har to the pair of ye. :)

pfffffttttt:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Tallon wrote: »

See, it's already happend on this thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Not to me it hasn't.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I can see this one turning into a big thanks-fest, so I'm nipping it in the bud and locking the thread.

OP, there are no plans for what you suggest. Previously Boards had a rep system which was more trouble than it was worth, and a similar system based on thanked posts would only end up going the same way.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It would get horribly gamed. The rep system brought you absolutely NOTHING and it *still* got horribly gamed. Nice idea but it wont work :(

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement