Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 122

• 25-08-2010 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

- Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara
    - Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Goran Reljic
    - Jason Brilz vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
    - Amir Sadollah vs. Peter Sobotta
    - Kris McCray vs. TBA
    - Dennis Siver vs. TBA
    - Pascal Krauss vs. TBA

Confirmed as a fight night card.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

gravity12 wrote: »

Confirmed as a fight night card.

really? do ya have a source as that would be the first time in ufc history that a main card has been skipped or turned in to a fight night card, its to be in Germany i hear right?

Pretty shocking card so far has to be said, i expect alot more to be added to the main card in the coming weeks.

do you mean to say that it will not be a ppv card as its on at a different time and not that its a confirmed Fight Night card actually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

Sorry not a fight not card, meant to say it will be on versus as opposed to PPV which is the norm for european cards. Thanks for correcting me :-)

Read that Vitor Belfort was offered a spot on the card but he doesn't want to travel so its likely he'll be on ufc 123.

Disappointed myself so far with this and UFC 120. Two poor cards for europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Not a great card by any means, but at least its....

The Return of 'Legionarius'! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

gravity12 wrote: »
    Sorry not a fight not card, meant to say it will be on versus as opposed to PPV which is the norm for european cards. Thanks for correcting me :-)

Read that Vitor Belfort was offered a spot on the card but he doesn't want to travel so its likely he'll be on ufc 123.

Disappointed myself so far with this and UFC 120. Two poor cards for europe.

Bad form that Belfort doesn't want to travel in fairness, hate to see fighters dictate where they want to fight at this level. I am sure Mr White ain't impressed.

p.s. I like the look of 120, but i hear ya that it ain't as good as the rest of the cards we have seen in the last 5 or so events for sure. Don't think Bisping has the credentials to carry a card but Akiyama does i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Its pretty far off so no doubt they'll have a couple of "big" names face off in the main event.

Still though, they're not gonna be A Class fighters. Pretty much like the last German Card. A past his best Wandi v a past his best Rich and a load of uninteresting fights thrown together to fill the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Who in their right mind would go over and pay to see that card. Terrible card.

If Strikeforce put their mind to it they could take UFC's UK fans.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would go over and pay to see that card. Terrible card.

If Strikeforce put their mind to it they could take UFC's UK fans.

This is a good point, i've never thought of this.

Strikeforce could afford to put all their big fighters onto one card.

It still would amount to the equivilant of a UFN card, but still........

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This is a good point, i've never thought of this.

Strikeforce could afford to put all their big fighters onto one card.

It still would amount to the equivilant of a UFN card, but still........

Do you realise how pissed off the UK mma fans with the UFC's European cards are.

It wouldn't be as hard as you think. They already share fighters with Dream. If both FEG and Strikeforce put their mind to it. They easily cut UFC's UK fan base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Names on a card draw punters, but are in no way guaranteed to deliver, and how many times have we seen that in MMA or even boxing for that matter.

If anything I would lean to these being great fights as lesser known fighters tend to want to make a name for themselves and be put higher up the future cards.

That said if I lived in germany I'd go but no way I'd travel for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is Krzysztof Soszynski on a mission to be on the most cards in UFC history? Seems to be on every other show these days.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Is Krzysztof Soszynski on a mission to be on the most cards in UFC history? Seems to be on every other show these days.

Yeah but he has epic kimura's so we'll let him.

Belfort v Okami will Headline

A middleweight bout between top contenders Vitor Belfort (19-8 MMA, 8-4 UFC) and Yushin Okami (25-5 MMA, 9-2 UFC) is expected to headline November's UFC 122 event, which airs on Spike TV.

Multiple sources today tentative confirmed the plans with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Wrestling Observer" first reported the likelihood of the fight.

UFC 122 takes Nov. 13 at Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany.

The event – though not officially announced – airs via same-day delay on the UFC's longtime cable partner.

As MMAjunkie.com reported back in May, Belfort's camp was under the impression that the Brazilian fighter was next in line for a title shot. In fact, Chael Sonnen only got his recent shot at the belt because Belfort was forced to the sidelines due to a shoulder injury that required surgery.

However, Sonnen nearly defeated the champ – he was up four rounds to none before Silva rallied for a late-fight submission victory – and after that UFC 117 headliner, UFC president Dana White said Sonnen deserves an immediate rematch. With that fight now expected to take place later this year or early 2011, Belfort vs. Okami likely will determine a No. 1 contender.

Belfort, of course, hasn't even fought at 185 pounds under the UFC banner. Although riding a five-fight win streak, the only UFC appearance came a year ago and resulted in a first-round knockout of Rich Franklin at a catchweight of 195 pounds. Still, with his recent streak and early UFC success, he remains a marketable contender.

Okami, meanwhile, moved to 5-1 in his past six fights with a recent split-decision win over Mark Munoz. The only loss during the stretch came to Sonnen. Despite his bounty of UFC wins, Okami never has been promised a title shot, and he's even struggled to get featured on some televised main cards.

But afer the Munoz win, even White relented.

"Yushin Okami is one of the best 185-pounders in the world and has been for a while," he said. "This guy's due for a title shot."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20472/vitor-belfort-vs-yushin-okami-to-headlined-spike-tvs-ufc-122-event-in-germany.mma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Even with a Belfort/Okami main event this is a fcukin awful card, how the fcuk is a Belfort/Okami fight a headline fight anyway?

Dana is really takin the piss wit Europe, just hope he pulls something out for Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

unknown13 wrote: »
    Do you realise how pissed off the UK mma fans with the UFC's European cards are.

It wouldn't be as hard as you think. They already share fighters with Dream. If both FEG and Strikeforce put their mind to it. They easily cut UFC's UK fan base.

Strikeforce already has Alistair, Fedor and Mousasi. A European Strikeforce card can do very well if they managed to have those 3 on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Strikeforce already has Alistair, Fedor and Mousasi. A European Strikeforce card can do very well if they managed to have those 3 on it.

Maybe true, but would they bother? They are on shakey ground in the US with their relationship with the TV networks constantly under threat, horrible match making with regards to titles etc. I can't see them trying to crack Europe when they're not even on solid ground in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Maybe true, but would they bother? They are on shakey ground in the US with their relationship with the TV networks constantly under threat, horrible match making with regards to titles etc. I can't see them trying to crack Europe when they're not even on solid ground in the US.

Most likely not for the exact reason you gave. They have some great European talent if they did want to test the waters with a European card [and would probably give an opportunity to some local fighters too] but as you said they should stabilize Stateside first and then look into the possibilities of overseas expansion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Any idea what the nearest Ryanair flight to Oberhausen is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nu-g 2008

No clue man was wondering the same,****ing awkward spot..new main event is okami v nate the great if anyone didnt know

Dusseldorf.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GaryW

Ryanair dont fly there, its AerLingus to Dusseldorf and train from the airport

• Advertisement

GaryW wrote: »
    Ryanair dont fly there, its AerLingus to Dusseldorf and train from the airport

They fly near it.

I remember reading you could even fly to Amsterdam, i think its located on the west coast and a train passes through there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Full card for UFC 122 is up on Sherdog
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/11-Fight-Lineup-Finalized-for-UFC-122-27228

Nate Marquardt vs. Yushin Okami
    Alessio Sakara vs. Jorge Rivera
    Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Goran Reljic
    Amir Sadollah vs. Peter Sobotta
    Dennis Siver vs. Andre Winner
    Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Jason Brilz
    Rob Kimmons vs. Kyle Noke
    Karlos Vemola vs. Seth Petruzelli
    Duane Ludwig vs. Nick Osipczak
    Kris McCray vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha
    Pascal Krauss vs. Kenny Robertson

Personally I like Okami but this really looks more like a good Fight Night card rather than a full UFC event

Advertisement