Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IV line.

• 25-08-2010 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

What level do you have to be to put in a line ,Becuase I seen and RNLI life guard put one in ,in England.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

What level do you have to be to put in a line ,Becuase I seen and RNLI life guard put one in ,in England.

PHECC registered Advanced Paramedic.

Ambulance Paramedics can in England....alot of Lifeguards with the RNLI are ambulance personnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tango November.

Cheeres NGA.

That's what i tought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Would an RGN be covered to insert a line, say at a cardiac arrest where they might be in attendance with just paramedics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

eireal wrote: »
    Would an RGN be covered to insert a line, say at a cardiac arrest where they might be in attendance with just paramedics?

In theory if they are trained and competent in gaining IV access then yes they could. They would have to ensure they work within their scope of practice, and are authorised and insured to perform such an intervention in the pre-hospital setting.

It's not something I have ever encountered myself...in fact having IV access gained by anyone but an AP in the pre-hospital setting is a rare event.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

Nurses would be allowed perform the procedure in their workplace and I doubt many of their workplaces will extend that insurance to outside the confines of the workplace or off duty hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Nurses would be allowed perform the procedure in their workplace and I doubt many of their workplaces will extend that insurance to outside the confines of the workplace or off duty hours.

This is the exact same with NAS is it not......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

NGA,
    According to our bosses we're covered to work within our scope of practice on or off duty by the National Ambulance Service which for the AP's would include cannulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

This is the exact same with NAS is it not......

We are covered full time 24 hours as Buzzman says; unless you are with a voluntary or private service or been employed in some other capacity. Also the management would recommend that you ring the control and let them know you are on scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

I think Nurses are also insured with the INO outside there workplaces so they could be covered to do but they cant give saline ect without it a prescription

Advertisement