Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firefox catching up on text

• 25-08-2010 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

just noticed a problem in the last few days that seems to be increasing in frequency. i'm finding it happening on a couple of sites, not just boards.
    i be writing something. it stops and then catches up with what i've written. i haven't been fiddling around with any settings and though i'm not sure if it's just limited to firefox.

thanks for any help :)

EDIT: version 3.6.2 btw

Another EDIT: it's not just when i'm typing. firefox seems to be doing this even when moving the mouse over the drop-down menus at the top of boards. takes a sec or two for it to respond sometimes. d/ling 3.6.8 now to see if it solves anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

In Linux Flash runs like such a dog it has the same effect i.e. typing is slow and unresponsive.

I would suggest that something is using up the cycles.

Look in task manager and see if something is using a lot of CPU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

running windows 7. nothing else in Task Manager that's taking up the CPU. staying mostly at 10-15%. windows isn't slowly down at all ie the cursor's not moving slow at the same time. though firefox is taking up about 500MB of RAM. not sure if it's always taken up that much but i've 4GB ram so it shouldn't really dent into it much.

the circle in the tab that says it's loading pauses for a while as well.

And did you try the newer version of Firefox?

Perhaps temporarily disable any addons to see if one of those is doing it.

You could also try the beta version of Firefox and/or Chrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

updated to 3.6.8. testing testing to see if this works or not. hmm seems to have stopped now. hopefully it'll stay that way now. :) it was getting annoying when writing long posts and then i see loads of spelling mistakes when it's caught up

i don't like chrome or testing betas. just in case something went wrong and the whole data-mining by chrome. i prefer my privacy but that's another topic to discuss.

thanks for your help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

same was happenning to me last week, was ready to get a sledge hammer to batter it but low and behold by sunday it was getting back to normal , but when i was trying to typ stuff there was no responce untill few seconds later , when i tryed to scroll stuff it froze completly. now its ok .

whiteman19 wrote: »
    updated to 3.6.8. testing testing to see if this works or not. hmm seems to have stopped now. hopefully it'll stay that way now. :) it was getting annoying when writing long posts and then i see loads of spelling mistakes when it's caught up

i don't like chrome or testing betas. just in case something went wrong and the whole data-mining by chrome. i prefer my privacy but that's another topic to discuss.

thanks for your help :)

Although it's a beta I hear on the grape vine it's pretty stable. I only suggested to try them to find out where the problem is, not necessarily as a long term change.

I agree on Chrome. I used Chromium for a while, less privacy worries there.

You're welcome.

Advertisement