Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Meesared wrote: »
    WHY IS THERE DUBSTEP

I would be intrigued if the snippet of dubstep heard in the clip was indicative of a departure from the direction Muse have gone in since Absolution.

I like(d) Muse. I like dubstep. Could be good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think that would make for an excellent album intro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Have Radiohead starting doing dubstep yet?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

"Good" dubstep or "bad" dubstep, I can't stand any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Listening to that part again, it sounds like a jam at one of their gigs with effects lumped onto it. The orchestral part should be gig opener too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Denny M wrote: »
    "Good" dubstep or "bad" dubstep, I can't stand any of it.
    Most dubstep I've listened to I didn't enjoy, but one album that is definitely worth listening to no matter what you're into is this:

Burial-Untrue.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

From what I know of Muse, the dubstep thing is probably a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you're going to be watching any of the London 2012 Olympics, you can expect to hear a lot of this:

:eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Sounds like someone threw Queen, Vangelis and Take That into a blender, but I quite like it. :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kess73 wrote: »
    Sounds like someone threw Queen, Vangelis and Take That into a blender,
    Read this and laughed, then listened to the song, scarily accurate!

Can't say I'm mad on it though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's horrendous to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Ah its not that bad, its not fantastic, and lyrically its a bit ropey, but musically it is actually genuinely quite good!
    I think people are expecting a bit much from an Olympic song in the lyrical department, it is going to be cheesy, just go with it!

It is actually a fun song to play along with on Bass and drop a clean jazz line over it.

It also works if you play along using a more standard rock bassline but with a grind tone running through your sound.

I am a sucker for playing along to songs and trying to drop something in to see if it works. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Anyway, the new album is called The 2nd Law. If I understand the concept correctly, it's a reference to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, which describes the notion of Entropy and the idea that there will eventually be no more usable energy. Heat will always move from hot to cold, concentrated energy will be dissipated, and all things will eventually wind down in to nothingness. Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold, and it's all downhill from here. Typical Muse ideas, in other words. :cool:

Yet I read that the songs aren't all as mad as that, with Matt showing a more mellow side, now that he's married to a movie star and has a kid - the ultimate expression of hope for the future. It's going to be a mess, but hopefully a glorious mess. I don't know what to expect, which is just how I like it.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have had a few listens through of the album and I'm really enjoying it. Something a little different. There is a clear U2 rip off and a song that sounds very like Queen though, don't know the names of them. The song that sounds like Queen isn't the olympics by one by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Jofspring wrote: »
    Have had a few listens through of the album and I'm really enjoying it. Something a little different. There is a clear U2 rip off and a song that sounds very like Queen though, don't know the names of them. The song that sounds like Queen isn't the olympics by one by the way.

The Muse song that sounds like Queen?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Far too many melody lines on the new record that are uncomfortably familiar.
    Madness sounds like a slowed down version of George Michael's Faith, there's melodies/arrangements lifted from Queen's Don't Stop Me Now, Radiohead's No Surprises, Michael Jackson's Thriller, Zep's Kashmir....and that's only in the first half of the record.
    Uprising from the last record had the Sabbath/Blondie reference, but I can't get my head around why they have so many really obvious melodic references to other songs on The 2nd Law.

As a fan, it's a huge turn off for me tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Decade of Decadence

How the opening track of the new album, 'Supremacy', wasn't selected as the new Bond theme I'll never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

How the opening track of the new album, 'Supremacy', wasn't selected as the new Bond theme I'll never know!

when I first heard it it absolutely screamed of Bond to me!

Then I remembered that skyfall was out this year, but then I figured I would heard if muse were doing the theme before this so was very disappointed!

hypermuse wrote: »

when I first heard it it absolutely screamed of Bond to me!

Then I remembered that skyfall was out this year, but then I figured I would heard if muse were doing the theme before this so was very disappointed!

Going way back to Showbiz in 99, 'Sunburn', 'Uno' and 'Cave' could ALL have been Shirley Bassey sung Bond classics!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 VINCWM

Best band to some.

I like them but I probably wouldn't go see them live.

VINCWM wrote: »
    Best band to some.

I like them but I probably wouldn't go see them live.

But that's the thing about muse... Even if you don't like them (I know you said you did) you would love their live performances!

Honestly the best band I have ever seen live! I remember when I 1st saw them live, I wasnt mad into them at the time but they absolutely blew me away!!! Just incredible!

You wont find a better live band! You have not got the muse experience until you have seen them live!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Yeah, they are something else live. Even when they were just a band back in the early noughties, before they became a travelling superluminal carnival, they still put a huge amount of energy and spectacle into a gig. But the light-n-sound shows for Black Holes (both the wall-screen one where the drummer was in some sort of Darth Vader chamber and the HAARP array one) were incredible, you could be deaf and still enjoy it. (and I'm sure some might feel you could be deaf and enjoy it more!).

My fave live spectacle was the O.O.S tour, simple stage set up but confetti balloons at the end of Bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

hypermuse wrote: »
    But that's the thing about muse... Even if you don't like them (I know you said you did) you would love their live performances!

Honestly the best band I have ever seen live! I remember when I 1st saw them live, I wasnt mad into them at the time but they absolutely blew me away!!! Just incredible!

You wont find a better live band! You have not got the muse experience until you have seen them live!

The one and only time I saw Muse live, many many years ago they were fairly poor. It was at Dublin Castle as part of a Heineken Green Energy weekend. Absolutely zero interaction with the crowd and no explanations from the band after they had a major technical fault midset that silenced them for about 15 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Muse but this was just one of those dud performances that lingers badly in the memory.

It didn't help that the previous act was The Hives who were hilarious, and despite the fact that they are very much a 2-chord, 1 trick pony of a band they were very entertaining to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Have seen them twice in concert, once in the O2 which was great and then subsequently saw them in Marlay Park which I thought was terrible, no interaction with the crowd at all, I might as well have plugged headphones in , flicked on Muse on shuffle and gone for a walk in the park!!!

MIght give them a second chance though.

I personally don't care for interacting with the crowd..

I paid to listen to live music, I hate bands that fill valuable set time with generic nonsensical drivel! Bands only have a set amount of time on stage before the next act/curfew, I'd much prefer to hear another song I like than listen to people talk crap!

From all the times I have seen muse live they have never done much crowd interaction and personally that pleases me very much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I have mates that are mad for Muse, they even dragged me to a show in The Point. Their live show was boring, lots if flashing lights and massive stage props are great if that's what you're out to see but I went to see a band play their songs.
    I guess they felt their songs weren't strong enough on their own and as such had to create this spectical to bump the live show.
    They sounded boring live, as they do recorded.

Muse are ****, only to be surpassed in their ****ness by their fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I cannot get into the new album at all. It is terrible.

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    I have mates that are mad for Muse, they even dragged me to a show in The Point. Their live show was boring, lots if flashing lights and massive stage props are great if that's what you're out to see but I went to see a band play their songs.
    I guess they felt their songs weren't strong enough on their own and as such had to create this spectical to bump the live show.
    They sounded boring live, as they do recorded.

Muse are ****, only to be surpassed in their ****ness by their fans.

Someone ban this piece of sh*t

Advertisement