Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV remote for MS sufferer

Options
  • 25-08-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi, I know this is a lot to ask but my sister in law is a long time sufferer of MS but has now lost the ability to operate the remote for her only daily interaction with the outside world ie her TV, does anyone know of any devices on the market that would help her regain control if only to flick through the stations which we all love to do!!! I know this is a lot to ask but any help would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I wonder if this would get a better response on a more tecchie board?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I was listening to this morning's Ray D'Arcy show and caught a bit of discussion about a buttonless universal remote control that seemed to rely more on gestures to change channels etc. I think it may have been called something to do with a wand.

I'm not sure if a gesture-based controller would be suitable or not, but I think you can listen to past shows on the TodayFM website if you want more information, it was mentioned about 20/30 minutes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

The Kymera Magic Wand - it was one of the successful pitches on Dragons Den this week:

http://shopping.blogs.ie/2010/08/25/magic-wand-remote-control-from-dragons-den/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DavidKay

Thanks to you all for your help, I dont think there is an easy answer to this prob, saw the `wand`but I believe it is still a long way from being put into production and getting to the shops. The fact that my sister in law has lost the use of her fingers and wrists shuts down so many tech options including the wand but will try a techy forum, no harm in trying! Thanks again for all your input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DavidKay

Sorry LisaO should have looked at your link, did`nt think it was out there yet but having looked I cant see her being able to manage it. Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

I don't know anyone who has used this product - http://www.rteq.co.uk/acatalog/voice_control_light.html but it seems like it could be very useful for your sister in law. It could take time to set it up to do exactly what she needs but her Occupational Therapist should be able to help do this. Not sure if you have contacted the MS Society, they may have further information. They have offices in different parts of the country:
    http://www.ms-society.ie/

I am sure there is something out there that will do the job, it just may take time to find it but I would definitely keep pushing for help from people who work in this area. Hope it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Your sister-in-law might benefit from eye-tracking technology. There are lots of companies out there doing it. It's generally used on a PC but she could either watch TV on her PC (with a TV card installed on the PC) or I would imagine there is a basic TV control option also.

The devices generally consist of a piece of hardware connected to your PC, with a camera that tracks the glint in your eye (the reflected shine of the ambient light). Once you have it callibrated correctly, the camera system can track where you are looking on a screen and then sends that info to the computer. You use blinking to tell the system that you want to click (i.e. make a change).

Eye tech are one company and tobii are another, but you should really speak to an Occupational Therapist. If your OT isn't aware of it, you could point them to a new innovation in Ireland called www.try-it.ie which is a lending library for technology like this. Unfortunately, it is generally only available to professionals and there is a fee to access the materials within it.

Advertisement