Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Choosing a Camera.

• 25-08-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭

The regulars who post here are probably sick of this question at this stage but I really need some advice on this topic.

I'll start by saying that I have NO clue when it comes to cameras. I would go in to a store and ask in there but I'd worry that they would try and sell me something for the sake of them getting a sale rather than actually getting what I need, so I trust you guys more :pac:

I've had a good read of the FAQ thread and have ascertained that I'm looking for a camera that I can use for snaps of family and friends and places and sometimes nights out, that I can carry occasionally with me. I also want to be able to produce decent quality prints and emails.

I'd only go for a digital camera and I haven't the money, time, inclination or interest in having them developed.

My brother uses a Canon 550D, and while I LOVE it, it's WAY out of my price range, and frankly, I wouldn't use half of the stuff that it can do so it would be a waste. I'd like a cheaper version of this.. but I doubt that's really possible :pac:

At the moment, I have a fuji finepix yoke that is grand but the focus unadjustable, the picture quality is meh (alright for facebook and the likes) and prints are fairly awful.

Having read the FAQ I guess I'm wondering what the main differences (and if anyone had any examples it'd be even better) are between the Sophisticated Compact cameras and Electronic Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras? I *think* either of these probably suit my needs best.

I have a MAX of €300 to spend (but I'd really prefer closer to €250) so if anyone has a recommendations based on the above I'd be really appreciative.

Also, I can't order online as I move abroad on Tuesday and need it before then :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The main difference in the top end cameras is that they give a photographer control over the exposure. This will allow the images to improve if the person operating the camera knows what they are doing to acheive the desired results. If you get a more expensive camera & just set it to Auto then it will be just a larger version of the Point & Shoot you have already. You may see a slight improvement in quality but I would predict that generally you will be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Having read the FAQ I guess I'm wondering what the main differences (and if anyone had any examples it'd be even better) are between the Sophisticated Compact cameras and Electronic Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras? I *think* either of these probably suit my needs best.
    First of all I can't help you with your camera choice as I don't have the experience with any recent model. But I'm sure there are lots here that do and a quick search will find the answers that you need, as this question pops up at least once a week.

Taking budget out of it, its important that you get "hold" of the camera before buying it. The feel, the weight, the shape of it, are all vital. You might get 100 recommendations for a certain camera, or brand, but its down to you whether you are comfortable with the thing itself.

There are alot of differences between Compact cameras and DSLR's. But the line is blurring with the introduction of some of the latest DSLR's, that aren't quite a DSLR. But anyway...I'm not sure how detailed an answer you were looking for, so I'll mention the basics.

Compacts tend to have smaller sensors and the lens is alot closer. This has an effect on the over all quality of the image. How this effects your final result completely depends on what you intend to be photographing and what you want to do with your images. But compacts are easy to use, packed full of features, they are light and are far less fiddly than a DSLR.

DSLR's are (used to be) bulkier, they have interchangeable lenses which allow them to be adapted to almost any situation - as long as you are willing to splash out the cash. You also can take control over what the camera is doing, which allows you to have a real effect on how the final image looks. But you will buy into a brand and there is always something else that you want/need to add to your bag of tricks.

By the sounds of what you are saying you are looking for more of a compact, especially if you want to be able to bring it almost anywhere - like on nights out. And if you "haven't the money, time, inclination or interest" in developing the prints, then chances are you won't go beyond the basic DSLR kit - which again points to a compact simply because you want something to take photographs with and don't see this as a hobby.

If I were you I'd look towards the creative compact. While they have the "look" of a DSLR they have the features of an all-in-one package.

Hope this helps in some way.

(Good luck in your move)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi Michellenman, I had a fuji finepix S5600 before I moved on to my first DSLR, and I liked it a lot, maybe the next Fuji Finepix would suit more what you wanted, and if you know their menu it would definitely help wouldn't it ?
    Anyway just to say, in case that helps, if you go to Flickr, you can do a search on pics taken with a particular type of camera. It's great to give you an idea what to expect, and what can be done with the model you are looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Anything by Panasonic with the word Lumix on it that is within your budget.

To be honest, I think you should also look at some of the better phones with cameras around. I can personally recommend the Samsung Jet S8000 and Wave S8500. If you don't need a zoom, these just might do what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

CabanSail wrote: »
    The main difference in the top end cameras is that they give a photographer control over the exposure. This will allow the images to improve if the person operating the camera knows what they are doing to acheive the desired results. If you get a more expensive camera & just set it to Auto then it will be just a larger version of the Point & Shoot you have already. You may see a slight improvement in quality but I would predict that generally you will be disappointed.

Well I don't really plan to just set it on Auto. While I know nothing about cameras, I do plan to learn (to a certain extent - how the camera operates, what settings are best for the situation etc). Now, I'm not going to be a super photographer, I know that. But I'd like to be able to take good quality photos that I can send home to family and friends, and be able to do it easily.
    K_user wrote: »
    First of all I can't help you with your camera choice as I don't have the experience with any recent model. But I'm sure there are lots here that do and a quick search will find the answers that you need, as this question pops up at least once a week.

Taking budget out of it, its important that you get "hold" of the camera before buying it. The feel, the weight, the shape of it, are all vital. You might get 100 recommendations for a certain camera, or brand, but its down to you whether you are comfortable with the thing itself.

There are alot of differences between Compact cameras and DSLR's. But the line is blurring with the introduction of some of the latest DSLR's, that aren't quite a DSLR. But anyway...I'm not sure how detailed an answer you were looking for, so I'll mention the basics.

Compacts tend to have smaller sensors and the lens is alot closer. This has an effect on the over all quality of the image. How this effects your final result completely depends on what you intend to be photographing and what you want to do with your images. But compacts are easy to use, packed full of features, they are light and are far less fiddly than a DSLR.

DSLR's are (used to be) bulkier, they have interchangeable lenses which allow them to be adapted to almost any situation - as long as you are willing to splash out the cash. You also can take control over what the camera is doing, which allows you to have a real effect on how the final image looks. But you will buy into a brand and there is always something else that you want/need to add to your bag of tricks.

By the sounds of what you are saying you are looking for more of a compact, especially if you want to be able to bring it almost anywhere - like on nights out. And if you "haven't the money, time, inclination or interest" in developing the prints, then chances are you won't go beyond the basic DSLR kit - which again points to a compact simply because you want something to take photographs with and don't see this as a hobby.

If I were you I'd look towards the creative compact. While they have the "look" of a DSLR they have the features of an all-in-one package.

Hope this helps in some way.

(Good luck in your move)

I think you've got in a nutshell there.
    Excuse my ignorance but is a compact camera pretty much the same as what I have now? I can't really afford to buy in to a brand, buying pieces of kit and lenses and the likes is just something I don't have the momey for.

I like the sound of these creative compacts. I had a read of this and it seems to be the ideal thing for me.

If I were to go in to a shop to ask about these - what would be the important questions to ask?
    Hi Michellenman, I had a fuji finepix S5600 before I moved on to my first DSLR, and I liked it a lot, maybe the next Fuji Finepix would suit more what you wanted, and if you know their menu it would definitely help wouldn't it ?

I'm not particularly crazy about the fuji fine pix cameras tbh. I have no problem getting used to new menus and the likes.
    Anyway just to say, in case that helps, if you go to Flickr, you can do a search on pics taken with a particular type of camera. It's great to give you an idea what to expect, and what can be done with the model you are looking at.

Excellent idea, thanks! :)

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Anything by Panasonic with the word Lumix on it that is within your budget.

Something like this? I haven't checked out how much that would cost though.
    To be honest, I think you should also look at some of the better phones with cameras around. I can personally recommend the Samsung Jet S8000 and Wave S8500. If you don't need a zoom, these just might do what you want.

I'd really like a zoom. I also have no need to buy a new phone really, thanks though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

Buy one of these. That's the best price around too.

That last site is handy for checking prices but is UK oriented.

That looks like the previous model of the one I posted above (which I've since realised is about €500 - eep!) so might be a goer! Is there anywhere in store I can see/buy it? I can't risk ordering online as if it's late then it'll go to my old Irish address..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Anyone who can manage multi-quoting on a forum should be well able to get to grips with manual controls. I find that multi-quoting stuff more complicated :D;)

Not sure how much they go for, but something like a Canon G9 second hand perhaps? they are pretty tough and good quality.

Haha! Thanks!

I don't know if I have time to source a second hand camera before tuesday in between packing up my life tbh. I assume you can't buy a Canon G9 new in shops no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, if you really scraped the bottom of the barrel and got an extra €55 euro, you could get one of these as per Tal's link... which would be a great camera to kick off with, and it works out rather handy if you're heading out of the country :)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Well, if you really scraped the bottom of the barrel and got an extra €55 euro, you could get one of these as per Tal's link... which would be a great camera to kick off with, and it works out rather handy if you're heading out of the country :)

That looks rather handy. Although I don't know if I can really afford it. Is that a creative compact too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Nope, it's an SLR like your brothers Canon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

If you don't mind used equipment, keep an eye on adverts.ie [link at very top of this page] for the likes of Canon 400D bodies. You might get one for around €300 if seller wanted a quick sale. that way you can borrow your brother's lenses and save a bundle down the line that way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 barreller

hi
    was thinking of buyig a cannon 1000d package from pixmania,including-ef 18-55mm lens 75-300mmlens,slr camera case 8gb sdhc memory card and panoramic tripod....all for 651euro!!! i am thinking of getting in to wedding photography and like sports photography,could anybody tell me if this package would suit.thanks.:):):)

Just in case anyone was wondering, I ended up buying this in the end. Absolutely delighted with it and having loads of fun finding out all the fun things it can do :P

Cheers for all the help and input, I really appreciate it :)

Advertisement