Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armagh Gaol photo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i can see what they mean, but in reality it was taken by a professional photographer, who would obviously know his way around photoshop. You;d probably have to have a look at Armagh Gaol itself as a business and what its marketing objectives are. Maybe it wants to sell itself like Wicklow does.

I know it sounds cynical, but you'd have to look at more than just the photograph to size up the likelyhood of it being genuine or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im sorry but all I can see when I look at that photo is my future wife and I will thank you not to stare.

Also coming this Winter to a screen near you "Wicklow Gaol 2: The revenge of corporate spiritualism"

look right down the hall (not right down her dress)

Also that article is dated from tomorrow's paper. Future news...

But yes I can see the photoshopped (or possibly second model) ghost right behind the really attractive model promoting the gaol as a business venture and haunted location. What luck !!

Grimes wrote: »
    Also coming this Winter to a screen near you "Wicklow Gaol 2: The revenenge of corporate spiritualism"

I actually really 'LOL' at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Armagh Gaol has already been sold, and will be developed into a hotel.
    Leaving aside the integrity of the photographer and accusations of photoshopping,
    are there any other possible explanations?

There's a much better close up on the front of the gazette, I'll try and
    scan and upload it if I can. I can see the outline of what seems to be
    a woman's figure, though it's probably more likely to be a combination
    of light and dust.

Armagh Gaol has already been sold, and will be developed into a hotel.

On the contrary, I think the timing of this is impeccible:

"This summer the historic gaol will throw open its gates on a number of occasions so people can explore the Grade B listed building before plans to transform the building get under way." (from the belfast tele)

Throw open its gates, get some publicity and get people to visit.
    Leaving aside the integrity of the photographer and accusations of photoshopping, are there any other possible explanations?

i cant think of any.

Leaving aside the integrity of the photographer and accusations of photoshopping, are there any other possible explanations?

Looking at the complexity of the image and the fact that its obviously staged I wouldnt say its anything other than a publicity stunt. I do a bit of photography, not much but im alright. Its not the photographer claiming to capture a ghost here, its the gaol.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭daredevilfan

There would be no complaints from me if that lady in the pic was standing at the end of my bed late at night folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Grimes wrote: »
    But yes I can see the photoshopped (or possibly second model) ghost right behind the really attractive model promoting the gaol as a business venture and haunted location. What luck !!

Note the bold; this is the first thought that entered my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Is it just me, but does the 'figure' in the backround look more like Mr.Softie (softmints fame) than a woman in veil, and is casting a shadow??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Let me tell you some things about this gaol:

There is a graveyard out the back of this gaol for people who passed away plus their children/babies who did not make it.

I have worked on a project in this Gaol and I'll tell you my story:
    I entered the Gaol through the front door - the one closest to the Mall. I was met by a co-worker who was one of those who had been working for a while within the disused Gaol. I've never been inside a Gaol except for tours and at this time no tours were organised for the Gaol. When you walk thru the door there are offices left and right and then an area which I was told was were visitors were searched. Beyond this was an area that would allow you to access the wings. So I went off walked around, noticed how small the cells were and also how heavy the doors were to close. These were solid doors very, very heavy to move and the cells were so small that by stretching out your arms you touched both walls.
    Anyhow I walked around and then went back to the initial area. I was talking to my colleague when I heard a door closing from the area from where I came from. I asked who else was up there because I didn't see anyone and I was told ah sure thats the ghost up there - it happens sometimes.
    You have to understand how small the cells and how heavy the doors were.
    So then I found out there was a graveyard and that there was an area where former prisoners were hung. The remains of the foundations of the building that housed the Price sisters are still there.
    I am a skeptic but I have to say that day changed my attitude towards ghosts etc.... I do know that the Gaol was featured on a Norn Iron ghost programme but as true as I'm sitting here typing this it did happen and in a way I'm glad it did. I've lost loved ones and I'd like to think I'll meet them again in whatever form.
    It is true they are thinking of changing to a hotel - first of all I'd remove the spirits. The building did not feel weird and there have been tours since.
    But to hear what I heard was something else - I will never forget it.

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but when you heard the sound did you check the area it came from and see if there was any logical reason for the sound you heard?

Advertisement