Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A bit of nostalgia

• 25-08-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

For the sentimental amongst you, here's a couple of pictures of how it used to be.

The first one is of my mum and dad on their bikes on St. Patrick's Day, 1955. My dad tells me that Paddy's Day was always the start of the racing season, so I don't know what he was doing mooning over my mother in the park. He built the bike she is riding in the picture and he claims this was instrumental in persuading her to marry him. I particularly dig the handlebar-mounted twin bottle cage.

The second picture shows how strong the social scene was around cycling in those days. Mum and dad were both members of St. Brendan's Cycling Club in Donnybrook. There were dances regularly (when dad could tear himself away from the rollers upstairs according to mum) and they met each other in the club. The picture was taken on 6 September 1953, probably to mark the end of the season. I notice that mum and dad are both with different partners, so make of that what you will! Sorry for the quality on this one - it's taped into a cardboard frame and I don't want to damage it by taking it out.

They are both in their late seventies now and have been married for 50 years. A long running love story on two wheels.

MumandDadPatricksDay1955.jpg

StBrendansCyclingClub1953.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

The top one is really nice. Glad they've been together and happy for so long!! I'm guessing the bikes aren't still knocking around the garage though!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Funnily enough, a couple of my dad's old bikes were unearthed when my grandparents' house was cleaned out after they died in the eighties. I think they met a fairly unsentimental end (the bikes, not my grandparents!).

Advertisement