Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NB - Lost my thesis in word doc - help needed!

• 25-08-2010 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi. I accidentally pasted over an existing word document which held my dissertaion that I need to get in tomorrow. Is all lost? Is there any way of getting this back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

CTRL + Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

You could try right clicking on the file and properties > previous versions > restore

..but this will only work if you have Windows backup setup and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

D-Generate wrote: »
    CTRL + Z

:D

Or this ^^, if you haven't saved the file yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

JustinOval wrote: »
    You could try right clicking on the file and properties > previous versions > restore

..but this will only work if you have Windows backup setup and running.

I'm afraid i don't have this enabled in Microsoft Word 10

HOw about a system restore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

doesn't affect files afaik...only system settings/programs installed since last point.

there's something in AppData folder as i think i saw in another thread but not exactly sure about how to go about

• Advertisement

whiteman19 wrote: »
    doesn't affect files afaik...only system settings/programs installed since last point.

there's something in AppData folder as i think i saw in another thread but not exactly sure about how to go about

****. So there's nothign that can be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

what exactly did you paste over? did you insert a file with the same name into the folder with the project or copied text into your project doc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Revert back to your last known backup. You do have a backup right, please tell me you have a backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭nc43

can you say what exactly you did?

I have two files called dissertation. one a docx doc the other a rtf doc

They both now have the same content. I accidentally copied the content from the .rtf one to the .docx and must have saved. It's lost now

• Advertisement

if you still have the file open and have not saved it just undo the paste(but maybe you have saved it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

Perhaps there's a .bak or .sav file around somewhere? Do a search.

You could try a file recovery program like Photorec but if it's been overwritten you might not get it back.

qwert2 wrote: »

They both now have the same content. I accidentally copied the content from the .rtf one to the .docx and must have saved. It's lost now

to be honest i'm not really sure how I ****ed up. I got asked a weird question and I pressed yes. The .rft file messed things up I think

and the docx dosent have the pasted stuff AND the orginal text?

nc43 wrote: »
    and the docx dosent have the pasted stuff AND the orginal text?

no I'm afraid not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

See if there are any temp files created. Sadly, I'd say you're banjaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Just to be clear, have you lost everything, or just the formatting? what happened to the RTF document? could you submit that one?

ok so make sure you dont close ms word or the loaded files then go into your temp dir and see if theres any files with a time-stamp that matches now or say 5mins before they might be hidden so you will have to unhide them

ok so make sure you dont close ms word or the loaded files then go into your temp dir and see if theres any files with a time-stamp that matches now or say 5mins before they might be hidden so you will have to unhide them

I'll come clean. It is my sister who's in this situation. She's hysterical, so I don't really understand what she did. She said something about pasting over the .docx doc. She lost her orignal work :(

is that the temp dir in general or the temp dir form MS word?

• Advertisement

Using Windows Explorer, the first place to look is the Windows temp folder, the location of which will be determined by the operating system, but is likely to be either C:\Windows\Temp or Drive:\Documents and Settings\SomeUsersName\Local Settings\Temp. opps! again

Using Windows Explorer, the first place to look is the Windows temp folder, the location of which will be determined by the operating system, but is likely to be either C:\Windows\Temp or Drive:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp.

what are timestamps format? I arranged by date and the latest files are .dat

I was suggesting you look for temporary files created around the time the problem happened I think its .do* files or even .tmp but if the file was saved Its to late

Casey_81 wrote: »
    Just to be clear, have you lost everything, or just the formatting? what happened to the RTF document? could you submit that one?

yeah what about the rtf file?

yeah what about the rtf file?

Sorry I'm misleading you here.

Basically she copied some content into the .docx file which copied over her previous work and saved it. You can forget about the .rtf file.

I found one tmp file but it's for another doc

It looks bad tbh

all I can offer now is this page...... https://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/article/lostfile.htm

all I can offer now is this page...... https://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/article/lostfile.htm

Thanks for all the suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Plebs

It's a hard lesson. I know in my college, it's made crystal clear that data loss is not an excuse for missing a submission deadline.

Just to say thanks to those who answered this emergency the other night. Unfortunaley the original doc wasn't retreivable. Interestingly enough I even went to a data recovery place who examined the hard drive with some machine and still there was no sign of it.

Anyway the thesis was sorted in the end and submitted on time. Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,243 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Revert back to your last known backup. You do have a backup right, please tell me you have a backup.
    Windows Shadow Copies (Vista/7)

Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions

Here are answers to some common questions about previous versions of files and folders.

[URL="mshelp://"][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] What are previous versions?[/URL]

Previous versions are either copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup or copies of files and folders that Windows automatically saves as part of a [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=790a349a-0777-43fc-af3d-31b00a164977#gtmt_restore_point_def"]restore point[/URL]. You can use previous versions to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. Depending on the type of file or folder, you can open, save to a different location, or restore a previous version.

[URL="mshelp://"][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] How are previous versions created?[/URL]

Previous versions are automatically saved as part of a restore point. If system protection is turned on, Windows automatically creates previous versions of files and folders that have been modified since the last restore point was made. Typically, restore points are made once a day. If your disk is partitioned or if you have more than one hard disk on your computer, you need to turn on system protection for the other [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=75f2da20-91f7-4f31-8e17-798cce2c38c1#gtmt_partition_def"]partitions[/URL] or disks. Previous versions are also created by Windows Backup when you back up your files.
    Note

• If you modify a file several times in one day, only the version that was current when the restore point or backup was made is saved as a previous version.

To turn on system protection

System protection is automatically turned on for the drive that Windows is installed on. You can turn it on for other drives by following the steps below.
    1. [URL="shortcut:%25systemroot%25%5Csystem32%5Ccontrol.exe%20/name%20Microsoft.System"][IMG]mshelp://help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ShellExecuteTopicIcon[/IMG]Click to open System.[/URL]
    2. In the left pane, click System protection. GetContent.aspx?assetID=18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b&documentSet=en-US&Prod=WIN700&Market=US If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. Click the drive, and then click Configure.
    4. Do one of the following:
      • To turn on the ability to restore system settings and previous version of files, click Restore system settings and previous versions of files.
      • To turn on the ability to restore previous version of files, click Only restore previous versions of files.
    5. Click OK.
    To turn off system protection

If you don't want Windows to keep previous versions of your files, you can turn off system protection. When you turn off system protection, you are also turning off the ability to restore your computer's system files using System Restore.
    1. [URL="shortcut:%25systemroot%25%5Csystem32%5Ccontrol.exe%20/name%20Microsoft.System"][IMG]mshelp://help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ShellExecuteTopicIcon[/IMG]Click to open System.[/URL]
    2. In the left pane, click System protection. GetContent.aspx?assetID=18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b&documentSet=en-US&Prod=WIN700&Market=US If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. Click Turn off system protection, and then click OK.

[URL="mshelp://"][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] How do I view or restore previous versions of a file and folder?[/URL]

1. Right-click the file or folder, and then click Restore previous versions.
      You'll see a list of available previous versions of the file or folder. The list will include files saved on a backup (if you're using Windows Backup to back up your files) as well as restore points.
      Note

• To restore a previous version of a file or folder that's included in a [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=90ce43ee-33ac-4913-868c-3130e8c62416#gtmt_library_def"]library[/URL], right-click the file or folder in the [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=3960fc8d-ec0e-4618-854c-170a74f3bed6#gtmt_location_def"]location[/URL] where it's saved, rather than in the library. For example, to restore a previous version of a picture that's included in the Pictures library but is stored in the My Pictures folder, right-click the My Pictures folder, and then click Restore previous versions. For more information about libraries, see [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=1bded105-9107-4987-adc0-a9132a619798"]Include folders in a library[/URL].

GetContent.aspx?assetID=1febb176-70a8-4ea2-b8f4-3cf1d98fa8e8&documentSet=en-US&Prod=WIN700&Market=USThe Previous Versions tab, showing some previous versions of files
    2. Before restoring a previous version of a file or folder, select the previous version, and then click Open to view it to make sure it's the version you want.
      Note

• You can't open or copy previous versions of files that were created by Windows Backup, but you can restore them.
    3. To restore a previous version, select the previous version, and then click Restore.
      Warning

• The file or folder will replace the current version on your computer, and the replacement cannot be undone.

Note

• If the Restore button isn't available, you can't restore a previous version of the file or folder to its original location. However, you might be able to open it or save it to a different location.

[URL="mshelp://"][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] How is restoring previous versions from restore points different from restoring previous versions from a backup?[/URL]

When you restore a previous version from a restore point, the file is already saved on your computer, so you don't have to do anything additional. If you want to restore a previous version of a file or folder from a backup, after you select the previous version and click Restore, Windows opens the Restore Files wizard, and then you follow the steps in the wizard. The drive or media that your backup is stored on needs to be available for you to restore items from a backup.

[URL="mshelp://"][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] Why can't I find previous versions of some files?[/URL]

There are several possible reasons:
    • The file has not been changed. Previous versions are only available for files that have been modified.
    • A restore point or backup has not been made since the file was changed.
    • System protection might not be turned on for the drive those files are stored on. If system protection is not turned on, Windows can't create previous versions.

4. Click Restore system settings and previous versions of files, and then click OK.
    • If your computer is on a workplace network, your [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=5122fb88-217f-4206-8cf4-0a3b64e54873#gtmt_system_administrator_def"]system administrator[/URL] might have turned off the ability to use previous versions.
    • The file or folder is required for Windows to work properly. Examples include the system folder (the folder that Windows is installed in) and files in the system folder, which is usually C:\Windows. Windows provides a way to restore system files using System Restore. For more information about restoring system files, see [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=517d3b8e-3379-46c1-b479-05b30d6fb3f0"]System Restore: frequently asked questions[/URL].

[URL="mshelp://"][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] Can I restore a file or folder that was deleted or renamed?[/URL]

If you accidentally delete or rename a file or folder, you can restore a previous version of that file or folder, but you need to know the location where the file or folder was saved. To restore a file or folder that was deleted or renamed, follow these steps:
    1. [URL="shortcut:shell:::%7B20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D%7D"][IMG]mshelp://help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ShellExecuteTopicIcon[/IMG]Click to open Computer.[/URL]
    2. Navigate to the folder that used to contain the file or folder, right-click it, and then click Restore previous versions.
      If the folder was at the top level of a drive, for example C:\, right-click the drive and then click Restore previous versions.
    3. Double-click a previous version of the folder that contains the file or folder you want to restore. (For example, if a file was deleted today, choose a version of the folder from yesterday that contains the file.)
    4. Drag the file or folder that you want to restore to another location, such as your desktop or another folder.
      The version of the file or folder is saved to the location that you selected.
      Tip

• If you don't remember the exact file or folder name or its location, you can search for it by typing part of the name in the search box in the Computer folder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Just to say thanks to those who answered this emergency the other night. Unfortunaley the original doc wasn't retreivable. Interestingly enough I even went to a data recovery place who examined the hard drive with some machine and still there was no sign of it.

Anyway the thesis was sorted in the end and submitted on time. Thanks again :)

I'm glad your sister managed to get (her Masters thesis, I'd guess) all sorted out in the end.

Please give her a message from me: "Back up your data!" :D

Overheal wrote: »
    Windows Shadow Copies (Vista/7)

Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions

Here are answers to some common questions about previous versions of files and folders.

[URL="mshelp://"][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] What are previous versions?[/URL]

Previous versions are either copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup or copies of files and folders that Windows automatically saves as part of a [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=790a349a-0777-43fc-af3d-31b00a164977#gtmt_restore_point_def"]restore point[/URL]. You can use previous versions to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. Depending on the type of file or folder, you can open, save to a different location, or restore a previous version.

[URL="mshelp://"][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] How are previous versions created?[/URL]

Previous versions are automatically saved as part of a restore point. If system protection is turned on, Windows automatically creates previous versions of files and folders that have been modified since the last restore point was made. Typically, restore points are made once a day. If your disk is partitioned or if you have more than one hard disk on your computer, you need to turn on system protection for the other [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=75f2da20-91f7-4f31-8e17-798cce2c38c1#gtmt_partition_def"]partitions[/URL] or disks. Previous versions are also created by Windows Backup when you back up your files.
    Note

• If you modify a file several times in one day, only the version that was current when the restore point or backup was made is saved as a previous version.

1. System protection is automatically turned on for the drive that Windows is installed on. You can turn it on for other drives by following the steps below.
    2. [URL="shortcut:%25systemroot%25%5Csystem32%5Ccontrol.exe%20/name%20Microsoft.System"][IMG]mshelp://help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ShellExecuteTopicIcon[/IMG]Click to open System.[/URL]
    3. In the left pane, click System protection. GetContent.aspx?assetID=18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b&documentSet=en-US&Prod=WIN700&Market=US If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. Click the drive, and then click Configure.
    5. Do one of the following:
      • To turn on the ability to restore system settings and previous version of files, click Restore system settings and previous versions of files.
      • To turn on the ability to restore previous version of files, click Only restore previous versions of files.
    6. Click OK.
    To turn off system protection

1. If you don't want Windows to keep previous versions of your files, you can turn off system protection. When you turn off system protection, you are also turning off the ability to restore your computer's system files using System Restore.
    2. [URL="shortcut:%25systemroot%25%5Csystem32%5Ccontrol.exe%20/name%20Microsoft.System"][IMG]mshelp://help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ShellExecuteTopicIcon[/IMG]Click to open System.[/URL]
    3. In the left pane, click System protection. GetContent.aspx?assetID=18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b&documentSet=en-US&Prod=WIN700&Market=US If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. Click the drive, and then click Configure.
    5. Click Turn off system protection, and then click OK.

[URL="mshelp://"][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] How do I view or restore previous versions of a file and folder?[/URL]

1. Right-click the file or folder, and then click Restore previous versions.
      You'll see a list of available previous versions of the file or folder. The list will include files saved on a backup (if you're using Windows Backup to back up your files) as well as restore points.
      Note
      • To restore a previous version of a file or folder that's included in a [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=90ce43ee-33ac-4913-868c-3130e8c62416#gtmt_library_def"]library[/URL], right-click the file or folder in the [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=3960fc8d-ec0e-4618-854c-170a74f3bed6#gtmt_location_def"]location[/URL] where it's saved, rather than in the library. For example, to restore a previous version of a picture that's included in the Pictures library but is stored in the My Pictures folder, right-click the My Pictures folder, and then click Restore previous versions. For more information about libraries, see [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=1bded105-9107-4987-adc0-a9132a619798"]Include folders in a library[/URL].

GetContent.aspx?assetID=1febb176-70a8-4ea2-b8f4-3cf1d98fa8e8&documentSet=en-US&Prod=WIN700&Market=USThe Previous Versions tab, showing some previous versions of files
    2. Before restoring a previous version of a file or folder, select the previous version, and then click Open to view it to make sure it's the version you want.
      Note
      • You can't open or copy previous versions of files that were created by Windows Backup, but you can restore them.
    3. To restore a previous version, select the previous version, and then click Restore.
      Warning
      • The file or folder will replace the current version on your computer, and the replacement cannot be undone.

Note

• If the Restore button isn't available, you can't restore a previous version of the file or folder to its original location. However, you might be able to open it or save it to a different location.

[URL="mshelp://"][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] How is restoring previous versions from restore points different from restoring previous versions from a backup?[/URL]

When you restore a previous version from a restore point, the file is already saved on your computer, so you don't have to do anything additional. If you want to restore a previous version of a file or folder from a backup, after you select the previous version and click Restore, Windows opens the Restore Files wizard, and then you follow the steps in the wizard. The drive or media that your backup is stored on needs to be available for you to restore items from a backup.

[URL="mshelp://"][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] Why can't I find previous versions of some files?[/URL]

There are several possible reasons:
    • The file has not been changed. Previous versions are only available for files that have been modified.
    • A restore point or backup has not been made since the file was changed.
    • System protection might not be turned on for the drive those files are stored on. If system protection is not turned on, Windows can't create previous versions.
      4. Click Restore system settings and previous versions of files, and then click OK.
    • If your computer is on a workplace network, your [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=5122fb88-217f-4206-8cf4-0a3b64e54873#gtmt_system_administrator_def"]system administrator[/URL] might have turned off the ability to use previous versions.
    • The file or folder is required for Windows to work properly. Examples include the system folder (the folder that Windows is installed in) and files in the system folder, which is usually C:\Windows. Windows provides a way to restore system files using System Restore. For more information about restoring system files, see [URL="mshelp://windows/?id=517d3b8e-3379-46c1-b479-05b30d6fb3f0"]System Restore: frequently asked questions[/URL].

[URL="mshelp://"][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] Can I restore a file or folder that was deleted or renamed?[/URL]

If you accidentally delete or rename a file or folder, you can restore a previous version of that file or folder, but you need to know the location where the file or folder was saved. To restore a file or folder that was deleted or renamed, follow these steps:
    1. [URL="shortcut:shell:::%7B20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D%7D"][IMG]mshelp://help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ShellExecuteTopicIcon[/IMG]Click to open Computer.[/URL]
    2. Navigate to the folder that used to contain the file or folder, right-click it, and then click Restore previous versions.
      If the folder was at the top level of a drive, for example C:\, right-click the drive and then click Restore previous versions.
    3. Double-click a previous version of the folder that contains the file or folder you want to restore. (For example, if a file was deleted today, choose a version of the folder from yesterday that contains the file.)
    4. Drag the file or folder that you want to restore to another location, such as your desktop or another folder.
      The version of the file or folder is saved to the location that you selected.
      Tip
      • If you don't remember the exact file or folder name or its location, you can search for it by typing part of the name in the search box in the Computer folder.

Ouch. I use rsnapshot on Linux. My files are backed up hourly, daily, weekly and monthly. All I need to do is look inside ~.snapshot/hourly.0/file.txt to get at a file I've accidentally overwritten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Plebs wrote: »
    Ouch. I use rsnapshot on Linux. My files are backed up hourly, daily, weekly and monthly. All I need to do is look inside ~.snapshot/hourly.0/file.txt to get at a file I've accidentally overwritten.

If there was ever a stronger justification for learning LaTeX, it's now. Horrible article. @OP - Sucks, but some Windows guru should be able to work something out. I remember someone complaining to me that they could not open their 200+mb word file once:pac: Needless to say, I don't use word anymore. Too much hassle and bother tbh. Glad to hear things worked out OP:)

it's all very well using rsnapshot, but for someone who doesn't even practice the most basic of file backup with arguably their most important document is hardly going to go to the trouble of installing linux let alone use install rsnapshot :pac:

it's all very well using rsnapshot, but for someone who doesn't even practice the most basic of file backup with arguably their most important document is hardly going to go to the trouble of installing linux let alone use install rsnapshot :pac:

What? Like installing Ubuntu and enabling your favourite backup program? You'd need a degree in CS for that...

• Advertisement

BLAH! All of you: blah.

:E

My point being if you lose your document and are in such a panic about it, you're not even doing to basics like storing a duplicate copy somewhere, like on a seperate flash drive, or nightly uploads to your email. Or whatever. The Windows Shadow Copy being that enabled-by-default last ditch defense against eggregious losses of important files.

The wonderful thing about it is this is enabled by default so if you've bought a new computer in the last 3 years and havent done something silly like downgraded to XP, you've already got it going on.

What? Like installing Ubuntu and enabling your favourite backup program? You'd need a degree in CS for that...
    well for someone who can't back up a file then yes installing ubuntu would be the equivalent of obtaining a degree in CS.

well for someone who can't back up a file then yes installing ubuntu would be the equivalent of obtaining a degree in CS.
    No need to be insulting. Computers are at this point used in every field and degree, not just IT degrees.

That's is funny as I do have an IT degree and have installed ubuntu. I'm not good at given advice to siblings though about backing up stuff :rolleyes:

Saying that I put it down to complacency and slopiness rather than lack of IT knowledge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

I think if you have to stick with Windows then something like Comodo Time Machine is the best option. You'll get snapshots and you can roll back to an earlier when you get infected. No need for AV!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

The point, people, is to back up your files. Doesn't matter how you do it, just do it. :rolleyes:

Advertisement