Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Galway need a 24hr gym ?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Hi folks ,

Just wondering does anybody else think we need a 24hr gymin Galway ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Count me in, insomniac here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd use it quite late too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Although I'm not living in Galway yet, I love the idea of 24 hour gyms.The only thing keeps me from my going to current gym in Dublin twice a day is that it closes at 10pm:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

For sure. It'd be good to have something to do at 3am other than boozing in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Maybe not a full 24 hour gym but i'd certainly be in favour of opening hours that were more like 6am to midnight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

And a bloody 50m pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Any idea on how we could get one of the gyms to start on a trial basis a 24hr gym ,
    Could create job(s) for staff there and keep people of drink
    It seems a winner all round

No. Galway needs 24 hour shops and more cafes that open after 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

But BABM is kinda right, we need more late opening cafes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

That would be a great idea. my last gym cut its hours shorter which made life hard cus i prefer to go late myself.

• Advertisement

Would it be feasible to have a gym open that late though? I mean take in the factors like having to pay staff to man it and maintain the machines. Would you get enough people willing to go to actually make it feasible enough to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Would it be feasible to have a gym open that late though? I mean take in the factors like having to pay staff to man it and maintain the machines. Would you get enough people willing to go to actually make it feasible enough to do?

Well only one way to know, advertise it and say open on a trial basis for 2 weeks. Maybe not every night , even just 4 nights a week open ?
    Could be a big hit with people working shifts

Well only one way to know, advertise it and say open on a trial basis for 2 weeks. Maybe not every night , even just 4 nights a week open ?
    Could be a big hit with people working shifts

No, you'd need to do your research first. Go into the general public and do surveys, asking them if they thought a 24 hour gym is needed, if they would go if one were available and the like. If you can get hard evidence that there is an interest out there in the public, then gyms might be more likely to do it.

The people you should try to target are:
    Gym members (obviously)
    People that work shifts (so factories like Medtronic, Boston Scientific etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Probably not..................it'd just be a reason to feel even more guilty for not going!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I think a 24 hour gym would be a great idea. if not 24 hours at least have it open til 12 or 1. id rather go to a gym at a late hour, im much more active at night haha!

Yeah, even until midnight would be brilliant. And maybe a few nights a week. I'd be way more likely to go at 11pm than at 8am to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Why not just approach the 091lab guys, ask to bring in a few weights, all you would need is a few dumbbells from argos, prehaps a dip/chinup station from which u cud attach rings.

I work close by and i have often thought how handy it would be to have a few bits and bobs in there

Ha ha, fair play for being industrious, but little rewards like telly with my cardio, and a swim or jacuzzi after are how I bribe myself to go on tired evenings! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Admittedly my days tend to start at an earlier time than most but earlier opening hours would be fantastic. A gym that opened at 5 or 6 am would be great. Definately think later opening would be popular also. I don't know that actual 24hrs is workable but certainly there's a demand there for 5/6am to 12/1am or something, even if gyms only offered it 3 days a week I reckon it'd be in some way popular; tough on the staff tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If an existing gym did it what would be their benefit?
    Would they increase fees for existing members? Or offer cheaper off peak feed?
    Existing members wouldn't want to pay extra if not using it.
    And anyone who changes to off peak would be paying less.
    If new members joined then they could make money.

In relation to late night cafes I picture it being a lot if bother with drunks. Just look at Supermacs and d crowds in there late. extra security, staff nor wanting to work d shift (maybe), insurance costs etc.

I heard that a cafe (near CPs) doesn't open Sat as they're bust enough during d week. So why would d likes of them bother with nights?

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »

I heard that a cafe (near CPs) doesn't open Sat as they're bust enough during d week. So why would d likes of them bother with nights?

I presume you're referring to Javas. As far as I'm aware, there are no problems caused down there, but I could be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

No, not Java.
    I'm sure it could work very well despite my previous post. In cork there used to be a place off Grande Parade (name skips me) that had 2 bouncers and did toastiea, drinks etc.
    Didn't have any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dinneenp wrote: »
    If an existing gym did it what would be their benefit?

That cafe is actually Delight, 'tis a small lunch-bar type place rather than cafe. And since it's under new mgmt, I believe now opening on Saturdays.

Re night opening cafes, there's now:
    Java - open very late, don't seem to have trouble (though I haven't been there late)
    Griffins - open 'til 10.30 Thurs - Sat
    GBC - now open into the evening some nights (sorry, I haven't noticed times)

And my most recent discovery is Puro Vido (something like that), down near Spanish Parade beside Councillor what's-his-names Claddagh Jewellery shop. It used to be a cafe, was some other shop for a while, then re-opened this summer as a cafe. I thought it looked like a tourist trap, but tried it the other week and was impressed. Seriously wicked dessert-things, and a cool little area to sit in upstairs. And I noticed it was still open about 9-ish one night last week, no idea if this is regular.

Re gyms, NRG Bohermore opens at 6am - 10pm, Mon thru Fri.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement