Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slingshot pellet moulds

Options
  • 25-08-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭

Can anyone advise where I might buy such a mould either in Ireland or a reputable place online? I'm looking for one for my father to make lead ammo for slingshots. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]
    Moved from Hunting to Shooting.
    The subject is still rather tenuous in Shooting to be honest, but I'm pretty certain that Hunting is probably the last place it should be. :D
    [/MOD]

The blackpowder people have been moulding spherical bullets for centuries, perhaps something like this might be suitable?:
    http://muzzleloadingandmore.com/products/accessories/molds_round_balls/index.htm#Lee%20Round%20Ball%20Bullet%20Molds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

just get a bag of m16 nuts they fly true and hit hard ;) in my time we used 3/4 in ones far better than lead balls or stones/pebbles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

landkeeper wrote: »
    just get a bag of m16 nuts they fly true and hit hard ;) in my time we used 3/4 in ones far better than lead balls or stones/pebbles

m16:eek: you must have arms like pop eye:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Bag of 750x 9mm steel balls for less than 20 quid, thats what i use and they work a treat;) link below

http://cgi.ebay.ie/750-x-3-8-9mm-Catapult-Slingshot-Ammo-/230513496829?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

You can buy them in the outdoor shop in Waterford was tempted to buy a slingshot and ball bearings last time i was in there regret it now..

• Advertisement

I have serious crack with mine, loads of pigeons, the odd squirrell and the very odd rabbit if ya can get close enough! Not great this time of year with all the cover on the trees but october to may its great ya can knock out of the trees all day long!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Thanks a lot for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Check the Countryside news[?] that UK newspaper style mag in Easons
    .A couple of weeks ago I saw a slingshot ammo mould for sale in there.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Which slingshots ye using lads? I used to have a black widow but those cobras look the biz. What other brands are there? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

I have the Barnett black widow and cobra - great toys :D the aiming joke on the cobra looks cool but is useless. Use 9mm-10mm steel ball bearings ;)
    I was told that these are illegal in Ireland - is this true :eek:

• Advertisement

I have the Barnett black widow and cobra - great toys :D the aiming joke on the cobra looks cool but is useless. Use 9mm-10mm steel ball bearings ;)

No

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Is the cobra much better if any than the back widow? I see that there is a new pro diablo 2! That must be the rolls in the slingshot world:D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

kay 9 wrote: »
    Is the cobra much better if any than the back widow? I see that there is a new pro diablo 2! That must be the rolls in the slingshot world:D

Yes, shoots better and more accurate. The black widow though is handy to carry with you as it folds small, whereas the cobra is quite bulky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Tut Tut

Sling shots indeed!:p
    Dennis%20the%20Menace%20Beano.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Going to buy one of these the weekends the endless joy they use to give me in my youth. Going to go with the daddy the black widow...:D

elius wrote: »
    Going to buy one of these the weekends the endless joy they use to give me in my youth. Going to go with the daddy the black widow...:D

Youth is wasted on the young :D

Be VERY careful with sling shots, I know of a lad who lost firearms licences over one!

Not to be used on game (pidgies are classed as game)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

did you ever try to use suitable fishing weight moulds, somthing like this

http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=1520&CATID=59

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Youth is wasted on the young :D

Be VERY careful with sling shots, I know of a lad who lost firearms licences over one!

Not to be used on game (pidgies are classed as game)

i assume rats etc would be ok, i dont see the point in getting a firearm and then using a slingshot for game, tbh he deserved to lose his licence if thats what he was doing

jap gt wrote: »
    i assume rats etc would be ok, i dont see the point in getting a firearm and then using a slingshot for game, tbh he deserved to lose his licence if thats what he was doing

he was killing birds in a grain yard with mates and the gardai raided thought there was a party or something.

Short story shorter.

They all go done!

Black widow is the one to go for, only about 13 quid but make sure you invest in some spare bands because they break the whole time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

This is the job!

Have a great Warrener dvd showing travellers poaching with this type of sling shot!
    By jasus they were good!:D

Watched all that lads videos before, he makes some serious sling shots!! I think its crazy that wrist straps are illegal in germany but ya can carry a pistol:confused:

ANY type os slingshot is now illegal in Germany.Courtsey of the anti nuke,and commune wars in the 1980s.Rioters used them against the riot police,with glass marbles,to pretty devasting effect.
    Carrying a pistol,unless it is a blank firing and you have whats called ia "little gun liscense" in a public place is a no no.It is a hard job to get a carry liscense for a real pistol over there.Unless you are an endangerd person.IE you would have to be in the Steve Collins in Limerick category of things,before they would consider it.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ANY type os slingshot is now illegal in Germany.Courtsey of the anti nuke,and commune wars in the 1980s.Rioters used them against the riot police,with glass marbles,to pretty devasting effect.
    Carrying a pistol,unless it is a blank firing and you have whats called ia "little gun liscense" in a public place is a no no.It is a hard job to get a carry liscense for a real pistol over there.Unless you are an endangerd person.IE you would have to be in the Steve Collins in Limerick category of things,before they would consider it.
    Didnt no that, this guy says in a few of his videos he cant use the wrist strap as they are illigal in germany, if the slingshots are also illegal why would he not use the strap 2??? or is it only recently they were made illegal? I may go and talk to the german car valeter in work and ask him again, he's into shooting aswell and showed me pics of his toys back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

4gun wrote: »
    did you ever try to use suitable fishing weight moulds, somthing like this

http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=1520&CATID=59

That's exactly what I wanted to pick up but was hoping to find somewhere in Ireland / UK / Europe to get one. Cost of postage from America is more than the item costs.

Didnt no that, this guy says in a few of his videos he cant use the wrist strap as they are illigal in germany, if the slingshots are also illegal why would he not use the strap 2??? or is it only recently they were made illegal? I may go and talk to the german car valeter in work and ask him again, he's into shooting aswell and showed me pics of his toys back home.

They have been illegal since around the mid 1980s.
    He can check it under paragraph 1.3.7 of the German weapons laws.[Waffengesetz,verbotne gegenstande]

Precision catapults [IE like Barnett Cobra,Black widow etc]with a wrist brace,or simmilar devices.OR the capability of having such installed.[IOW the mounts or holes drilled for taking a wrist brace]

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    They have been illegal since around the mid 1980s.
    He can check it under paragraph 1.3.7 of the German weapons laws.[Waffengesetz,verbotne gegenstande]

Precision catapults [IE like Barnett Cobra,Black widow etc]with a wrist brace,or simmilar devices.OR the capability of having such installed.[IOW the mounts or holes drilled for taking a wrist brace]
    sorry i read your original post wrong grizzly, i thought you were sayin all slingshots were illigal!!

My bad:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

hotspur wrote: »
    That's exactly what I wanted to pick up but was hoping to find somewhere in Ireland / UK / Europe to get one. Cost of postage from America is more than the item costs.

Any decent tackle shopshould have these molds for making lead shot for fishing, definitely the ones in UK

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I got gang moulds for making round fishing weights from "Ronnie Sunshine's" on the E-Bay.

Flatband catties using gold theraband are the business, Fish makes a good one!

http://huntercatapults.co.uk/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement