Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elevated view of Dublin bay

Options
  • 25-08-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing a timple lapse tomorrow. It's going to be of Dublin bay with shipping traffic Etc etc. I need a good view point of the bay where I can see a decent bit of the bay and at least some if the port. Near sutton dinghy club would be ideal but there is a lack of elevation. Help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Howth Head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Ye i tried howth head last week but from the circular car park you can really see the port. If I walked down from there could I see it?? Google maps suggestions could help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Dun Laoghaire, top of the old shopping centre, you can see all the way to Howth and the ships coming into both Dublin and Dun Laoghaire. You might have to just ask the centre management can you set up your cam but one of the best views of the bay in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Howth head, right up at the very top beside the transmitters. Go onto windgate road, when you see a quarry yoke drive in there and follow the track up by foot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.373234,-6.069507&num=1&t=h&sll=53.321299,-6.26704&sspn=0.015996,0.038418&ie=UTF8&ll=53.373274,-6.06959&spn=0.000983,0.00327&z=19

Can you drive up to that spot on the map? The lane has a stone at the start with some name..? Looks private no??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I got a good view from Howth head 2 weeks ago. I parked in the summit car park and walked down a path.

This was taken from East side of Carpark but if you move around to about 100yards and look accross the bay you have quite a good view. Let us know how you get on I intend paying a visit back here soon. Boats and ships quite close as they arrrived and left Dublin port

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4905938156_20774cf980.jpg[/EMAIL]">

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Above stepaside village. You can see the whole bay, port, and across to howth

alexlyons wrote: »
    Can you drive up to that spot on the map? The lane has a stone at the start with some name..? Looks private no??

I haven't been up there in years but my Dad used to bring me up for the view - parked at the gate of the quarry-like yoke and walked up a gravel path. Not sure if it's still a quarry though or whether it's accessible but can't do any harm to walk up. If nothing else it's probably a right of way.

LeoB wrote: »
    I got a good view from Howth head 2 weeks ago. I parked in the summit car park and walked down a path.

This was taken from East side of Carpark but if you move around to about 100yards and look accross the bay you have quite a good view. Let us know how you get on I intend paying a visit back here soon. Boats and ships quite close as they arrrived and left Dublin port

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4905938156_20774cf980.jpg[/EMAIL]">

any chance of putting a link to a pin on google maps? not sure i know exactly where you mean, iv a fair idea though.
    sdonn wrote: »
    I haven't been up there in years but my Dad used to bring me up for the view - parked at the gate of the quarry-like yoke and walked up a gravel path. Not sure if it's still a quarry though or whether it's accessible but can't do any harm to walk up. If nothing else it's probably a right of way.

Ye went up there, drove right up, through the gates of the quarry and parked where the tarmac loops around in a hairpin, nobody said anything. Gorgeous up there, haven't much to show for it as the haze and shipping traffic wasn't great.

any chance of putting a link to a pin on google maps? not sure i know exactly where you mean, iv a fair idea though.

Ye went up there, drove right up, through the gates of the quarry and parked where the tarmac loops around in a hairpin, nobody said anything. Gorgeous up there, haven't much to show for it as the haze and shipping traffic wasn't great.

I came via Baldoyle (Coast Rd) over the level crossing to Sutton Cross and instead of taking left for Howth or right for Dublin I headed straight. Keep on that road and eventually you will come to Summit Pub on Right hand side. Turn right and the up a little road which brings you into car park

• Advertisement

I came via Baldoyle (Coast Rd) over the level crossing to Sutton Cross and instead of taking left for Howth or right for Dublin I headed straight. Keep on that road and eventually you will come to Summit Pub on Right hand side. Turn right and the up a little road which brings you into car park

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.370762,-6.05498&num=1&t=h&sll=53.373274,-6.06959&sspn=0.000983,0.00327&ie=UTF8&ll=53.3708,-6.055071&spn=0.001965,0.006539&z=18

sdonn wrote: »

Thats it ok. I parked and walked down path but had 2 kids with me one of whom you cant take your eyes off.

Thats it ok. I parked and walked down path but had 2 kids with me one of whom you cant take your eyes off.

God yeah, there's been some nasty accidents on those cliffs. They come upon you fast enough so keep a clutch of the babbies for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

While a bit late, there's 2 spots I would recommend:

Top of Shielmartin Hill is almost the highest point on Howth and has uninterupted views of the whole bay (and to the north):

53°22'13.11"N 6° 4'58.85"W
    Accessed from Carrickbrack Road at 53°22'15.35"N 6° 5'11.34"W
    It's a bit of a climb.

or

Top of Red Rock which isn't as high as Shielmartin, but is much less of a climb:

53°22'1.10"N 6° 5'17.68"W
    accessed from little path 53°22'10.84"N 6° 5'4.63"W

There's also some potential spots on the Cliff Walk between the Baily lighthouse and Drumleck Point which are accessible from the bottom of Ceanchor Road (to the left).

Problem with the quarry is that Shielmartin is in the way a bit too much.

that's exactly what I wanted, a way up that side of the head. Thank you!!

Advertisement