Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FETAC Level 5 and dole?

• 25-08-2010 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I starting a FETAC Level 5 - full time one year course soon and hoping to continue on to third level the year after as I plan on using the FETAC course to get in.

Heres my problem, Im currently on the dole and would like to stay on it if possible while doing the FETAC course and apply for the Back To Education Allowance (BTEA) when going for third level because to be honest, the maintenance grand for third level wouldn't help me out at all in my current situation.

Is there anyway to do this or has anyone ever managed to keep the dole while doing a FETAC course?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you have been on the dole for more than a certain length of time (I think 6 months) you can get BTEA, also if you get BTEA you can apply for the maintenance grant to pay your fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    If you have been on the dole for more than a certain length of time (I think 6 months) you can get BTEA, also if you get BTEA you can apply for the maintenance grant to pay your fees

You can't apply for maintenance grant while on BTEA anymore, but if I apply for BTEA now then I wont get it next year which is when I would really need it because thats when I'm hoping to enter third level.

If its just a FETAC course, i think you can get FAS to pay for it.

I'm very open to correction here, but I believe each FAS office has an amount of money that they can pay towards this kinda stuff for people. As far as I know, regardles of what the course entails, so long as it's got a certificate at the end, or can significantly increase your employability, they will pay for it.

It's been mentioned on here before I think. I' m not sure of the ins and outs of it though, so hopefully another poster with more knowledge can come along and help out.

Its more of a weekly income thing I'm worrying about. If i get BTEA for the FETAC course, I wont get it for third level next year.

I want to have BTEA for third level though and don't know what to do about this FETAC course...

Well in the spirit of my above post, see if you can get FAS to pay for it, then you'll still be on el Dole, and can put in for BTEA when you go back to third level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    You can't apply for maintenance grant while on BTEA anymore, but if I apply for BTEA now then I wont get it next year which is when I would really need it because thats when I'm hoping to enter third level.
    You can - you get the fees only paid and not the maintenance part - why wouldn't your BTEA continue next year?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

If you do not get a job after the FETAC course you may well be eligible for BTEA for third level next year. You should talk to the Facilitator or the BTEA person at the Social Welfare Office.

If you are doing the FETAC course at a PLC institution the fees are negligible (the private colleges cost quite a lot and many of those are not covered by grant for maintenance and/or fees). The Euro 500 from the BTEA would more than cover fee from PLC institution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

If you this fetac level 5 course you have no option but to get BTEA. You cannot stay on JSA whilst on a course as you are unavailable for work. You must get BTEA. If it is a PLC course, you no longer qualify for VEC grant whilst in reciept of BTEA. Lone parents qualify tho.

However next year when on your 3rd level course you will get the VEC grant for registration fees and should still be able to get BTEA seeing as you are doing a higher level course. You won't qualify for BTEA next year if the course you are doing is the same level afaik. I am open to correction on that last part tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

you can get btea for both the fetac and the third level course as long as you are moving up a level you can keep it. what you could do is look into a vtos scheme for you fetac course tho they pay for all your books and exams and give you and extra 30 a week on top of your btea payment

THanks for the replies, your right about being able to keep the BTEA if your moving up a level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement