Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting dole cheats, Yay or Nah

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Anyone ever see those Dole fruit pots? I find them funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Wouldn't report anyone ,but I hate "professionals" who go missing on a tuesday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

What an ass to wrote those two options! No I wouldn't report dole cheats nor am I a "lousy dole cheat" I have and always have had a full time job but I'd rather see some bloke earning a sh!tty wage somewhere get the dole than ivor callely or some other ass hole politician claim it in fake expenses anyway!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

snyper wrote: »
    "Dole cheat" is very broad.

On one side you have the lad thats never worked a day in his life yet does day a week cash jobs

on the other you have a guy worked for years, paid his taxed, lost his job, has a family to feed and does a day here and there where he can get

In my opinion, they're not the same person

Who called the 2nd guy a cheat? He paid his dues, he fell on hard times, thats not a "cheat"....

The first one though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Yep. Same as I'd report someone for tax evasion.

I'm sick of this puerile attitude of "don't grass 'em up" - grow the **** up.
    When people are defrauding the state it's everyone's business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Copper23 wrote: »
    Who called the 2nd guy a cheat? He paid his dues, he fell on hard times, thats not a "cheat"....
    Of course he's a cheat. Just a less serious one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

I recently started a thread in PI about reporting a dole cheat. Surprisingly a lot of the responses were very negative. I’m just wondering what the general consensus is. Would you report someone claiming the dole, who also had a job?

What do you mean by very negative responses, yes they would squeal or no they wouldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nah, I'm not into curtain-twitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

I recently started a thread in PI about reporting a dole cheat. Surprisingly a lot of the responses were very negative. I’m just wondering what the general consensus is. Would you report someone claiming the dole, who also had a job?

i would due to:

your in the situation your in, if you dont like it. Tough.
    the moneys a hand up in life, not a fcukin hand out: businesses are still hiring, if you cant find a job, get education.
    The money is given on a " you shouldn't be on this for long, if you are... get checked out " basis

honestly, i dont mean or intend to bust genitailia but f*** me is ireland getting lasy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 banjo.splunker

InTheTrees wrote: »
    When I was a young irresponsible lad I would have said go for it.

Now i'm older i can appreciate that a proportion of my day is spent working to earn enough to pay taxes to go to the cheats, and that aint right...

So turn'em in.

Er, is that not a contradiction, or am I misunderstanding you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

there was this one man that to this day when i think about him it annoys me.

About a year ago he came into the store to hire some gear, essentially building tools, whacker plate, concrete poker..

In the course of general conversation i was asking him what he worked at, he said to me, im unemployed, i havnt worked for 10 years.. i wasnt taken in by the boom and to be honest, this getting up at 8am and working till 5 doesnt appeal to me.. i get the dole and do a few jobs a couple of days per week

Now im looking at this man and thinking to myself, if i kick the face off him, how much jail time will i get an will it be worth it? Im working for a pretty humble wage, but if i and the rest of the country was to have the same attitude as this man, where would the money come from to pay for us?

No to mention, that if you are able to work abd choose a life like his, in my eyes.. your not a man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't particularly like the idea of people never working a day in their lives - and I think there are less of these people than the general perception- but I'm on an OK wage and I could never set myself up as judge to somebody who takes nixers here and there to supplement their income if they find themselves on the dole. Basically the sort of people that would jump at a better paid job if they got the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I want the poll option for
    depends on the person
    Or
    Yeah i'll shop me mate right now bastard skipped his round last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

As pointed out there is lots of diffrent ways to look at this.

I would consider a person who has worked hard all his life and is on the dole and doing the "odd day here and there" for cash to be ok, As he has helped society with his taxes that he has paid over the years, And will probably find full time work at some stage so this will be counter balanced.

on the other hand, the typical 40yr old male in a council house with family with medical card benifit and child benifit who has no interest in working and has been on the dole for years instead of living like a normal human being and works an odd day here and there for cash, He should 100% be "squealed on" as this type of person is giving nothing back, Just taking and taking and should not be part of society. This type of person should be shup off, house taken off then all benifits stopped until he has built up 10 years of tax credits from working.

This is just my personal opinion of course!!

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Simple one, without question yes. These leeches are are about take, take, take.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

if they are as scummy knack then report them, if they are a decent normal person trying to earn a few extra Euro then I wouldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

sealgaire wrote: »
    if they are as scummy knack then report them, if they are a decent normal person trying to earn a few extra Euro then I wouldn't

Lol, wut? Same end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Before the weekend, I would have said Nay. I know people who do the odd job and claim dole, but if they could get a full time job would take it in a flash.

So at the weekend I'm at a friends "hOLIDAY hOME" (cARAVAN) having a great time, loads of us there and a fewof the neighbouring cravan folk. Then this guy, who I know is on the dole and pulling every scam possible, starts slagging off my car subtly, by comparing it to his. He went on to slabber about how we're all mugs working and he lives stress-free, like a lord etc. Now he also owns one of these caravans (which cost €35,000 to buy and €2500 p/a in fees) and spends 6 months of the year at it, while drawing the dole. He drives home in his 05 BMW.

This guy has (i think) 3 kids and a girlfriend to keep. I work 40+ hours per week, I'm single, and I haven't the nails to scratch me arse compared to him. I looked at my payslip today and seeing all the deductions that I know are going to fund him and people like him makes me sick.

WTF?

I say grass em up, all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

gleep wrote: »
    Before the weekend, I would have said Nay. I know people who do the odd job and claim dole, but if they could get a full time job would take it in a flash.

So at the weekend I'm at a friends "hOLIDAY hOME" (cARAVAN) having a great time, loads of us there and a fewof the neighbouring cravan folk. Then this guy, who I know is on the dole and pulling every scam possible, starts slagging off my car subtly, by comparing it to his. He went on to slabber about how we're all mugs working and he lives stress-free, like a lord etc. Now he also owns one of these caravans (which cost €35,000 to buy and €2500 p/a in fees) and spends 6 months of the year at it, while drawing the dole. He drives home in his 05 BMW.

This guy has (i think) 3 kids and a girlfriend to keep. I work 40+ hours per week, I'm single, and I haven't the nails to scratch me arse compared to him. I looked at my payslip today and seeing all the deductions that I know are going to fund him and people like him makes me sick.

WTF?

I say grass em up, all of them.

Rat that fcuker out to Social Welfare !!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Rat that fcuker out to Social Welfare !!

Martin Cahill aka the General used to claim the dole.
    From what I see in the papers a lot of the criminal sorts claim the dole, some of them pretty heavy gun totin' chaps.
    Have to think twice about reporting them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

nah dont report.I generally mind my own business

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

rats out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Snitches get stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

pmcmahon wrote: »
    rats out.
    Snitches get stitches.

The hard man brigade is here...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

The hard man brigade is here...

clearly a tongue in cheek statement :rolleyes:,looks like the haters brigade be in this club

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Midlander1

Don't know about you but I went to HSE offices in Tullamore and outside the Community Welfare Officers office were 4 black couples, as they sat there they pretended not to know each other yet they all went away in 2 cars where they were later seen having coffee together in a hotel ( with HSE money no doubt). While at the HSE offices they shouted and were abusive to the officers attending them in order to get what they wanted. One of the black guys works as a merchantiser and is regurarly seen in Dunnes Stores in Tullamore. His wife/partner works as a cleaner and does 5 days a week...again this is not done through the books. Would I report them or Irish people who do this......yes I would and I have and I also supplied evidence and what did welfare do about it...Sweet Fanny Adams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Midlander1 wrote: »
    Don't know about you but I went to HSE offices in Tullamore and outside the Community Welfare Officers office were 4 black couples, as they sat there they pretended not to know each other yet they all went away in 2 cars where they were later seen having coffee together in a hotel ( with HSE money no doubt). While at the HSE offices they shouted and were abusive to the officers attending them in order to get what they wanted. One of the black guys works as a merchantiser and is regurarly seen in Dunnes Stores in Tullamore. His wife/partner works as a cleaner and does 5 days a week...again this is not done through the books. Would I report them or Irish people who do this......yes I would and I have and I also supplied evidence and what did welfare do about it...Sweet Fanny Adams.
    News just in, black man spotted in Dunnes Stores.

Call the guards, now!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Midlander1 wrote: »

Why do you go out of your way to point out that they were black? How do you know that they weren't Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Why do you go out of your way to point out that they were black? How do you know that they weren't Irish?

Because they're quick enough to point it out whenever they don't get their way and say thats why the don't get it.

Its this lazy shyte attitude that is on this thread that is letting so many away with it. grass everyone up thats DEFRAUDING the welfare system. Most of them are lazy dole hounds that were let away with being lazy when times were good. i say cut all welfare (dole & rent allowance) by another 10%. Get rid of the welfare bus pass & make them pay €5 per G.P. visit and/or prescription on the medical card.

Or my favorite. community service. make them work for it. Everyone on the dole goes out 2 days a week sweeps their local streets or park at about 8 in the morn when the rest of us tax payers are going to work, paints the local businesses to remove graffiti or help out by portering in hospitals. if you don't show up for one of the days you only get half your dole. you miss both you don't get anything the next week. not like they have much else to do. and no more double weeks come Christmas.

Yo don't get welfare unless you've been living in the country for the last 5 years and paying taxes for at least half that. I wish I was in charge of the welfare system. I 'd sort it right out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

If you knew someone was getting the dole underhandedly then why wouldnt you say so, especially if asked,?
    The dole is there for people who are between jobs, aka not working, thats it. And it shouldnt be a life choice tbh, a few years max on it is fine imho.

Advertisement