Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting dole cheats, Yay or Nah

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The point is . . . how do you know for a fact that they are cheating?

You wouldn't.
    The department if social welfare would investigate this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I voted "No, Im a lousy dole cheat as well" in protest of the revival of a boring zombie thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Of course I would - they're probably the same people complaining about the government and the economy all while stealing from the rest of us honest people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Ronin247 wrote: »
    the "single mum" living in the council flat with her three kids and the father of the three kids who she refused to name when the kids were born so she would get single mothers allowance and a flat.
    Maybe the father of the kids is a useless waste of space? Plenty of them out there.
    I personally don't waste any time thinking about who might be getting benefits they're not entitled to, the welfare dept. have their own people to sniff out dole cheats, also, it wouldn't particularly make me feel any better.
    I know of a social welfare inspector who employed a local handyman to do a few jobs on his house, knowing he was on the dole, and when it came to paying the guy he pulled some bits of old furniture from the attic and offered them as payment.
    This handyman reckoned he couldn't argue about it coz the inspector kinda 'had him over a barrel'.
    I think that would work both ways.
    I also think you shouldn't judge people when you know nothing about their circumstances.

Do you guys realise you're playing right into the hands of the government?
    While people are blaming other people for what's wrong with the country it deflects attention away from what they're up to.
    They actively encourage it by talking about getting tough on dole cheats, while simultaneously handing out money to the people who don't need it.
    Wage cuts, pay freezes, cuts on services and rooting out benefit cheats won't pay the debts. Creating jobs, taxing the rich and making the banks lend to businesses will. The more money you take from people the less they'll be able to spend, and people spending money is what makes the economy.

• Advertisement

Johro wrote: »
    They actively encourage it by talking about getting tough on dole cheats, while simultaneously handing out money to the people who don't need it.

Dole cheats don't need it; they're, well, dole cheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

110 million was saved last year because there was a crackdown on dole cheats, the quicker
    we come down on these lowlife, layabout, gutter scum the sooner this nation can get out of this
    recession and we can catch up with the rest of the world markets by quickly getting our Economy
    back to 2006 levels and rejuvinate our property economy. simple as that folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Yep, i would not even have a second thought about it, freeloading scum should have to pay back every single cent and then some, its a disgusting culture that should be/must be stamped out.

Regarding the reward, simple you are going to save the welfare about 200euro a week, so there you go 200 yoyos for "Ratting out" ( i hate that term "Ratting out", usually used by scumbags who think there is some misty eyed code amongst scum, who are usually the first ones to turn on their mates anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Not everything is black and white. If someone was earning good enough money and still cheating the system yes I'd report them. But if it was someone that just did the odd job to earn extra money for themselves then no I wouldn't report them, I'd do the same in their situation probably, we all need to keep our heads above water.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If I was sure of my facts, I wopuld report, absuletely. (Unless it's a friend, then I would have a not so quiet word in their ear first).

Supporting/ignoring cheats and frauds (perhaps even secretly applauding them for getting one over on "the governement) is exactly what got us into this mess in the first place.

No moral backbone, no sense of community and no sense of what's right and wrong. Today it's Joe cheating on the dole, tomorrow it Seany cheating on the books and the "authorities" letting him away with it and then we end up with everobody on the take in some shape or form.

As a society we've been winking and nodding for so long, we're half blind and half brain dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

I aint a rat

I aint a rat
    JohnnyTightlips.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

No one likes a RAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

nachoman wrote: »
    110 million was saved last year because there was a crackdown on dole cheats, the quicker
    we come down on these lowlife, layabout, gutter scum the sooner this nation can get out of this
    recession and we can catch up with the rest of the world markets by quickly getting our Economy
    back to 2006 levels and rejuvinate our property economy. simple as that folks.
    Your joking right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Warper wrote: »
    No one likes a RAT

Rattus Rattus= Who cares, just put a trap out.
    Scumbag Rattus= kill them all (bit harsh i know and just a phrase), scum are scum either way, Human Feaces:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Warper wrote: »
    No one likes a RAT

Yes, no one likes a Right Auld Tinker :rolleyes:

IMO if people are getting €200 a week and getting €300-€400 plus on top, they should be stung. But the thing is people on disability can work 19.5 work hours a week, earning up to €150 more without any hassle form the goverment. Still getting €100+ rent allowance and the medical card.

Should the people not entitled to 19.5 hours a week, but doing a small bit, be crucified?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

CorkMan wrote: »
    Yes, no one likes a Right Auld Tinker :rolleyes:

IMO if people are getting €200 a week and getting €300-€400 plus on top, they should be stung. But the thing is people on disability can work 19.5 work hours a week, earning up to €150 more. Should the people not entitled to 19.5 hours a week be crucified?

Women on single parents allowance are also entitled to work under 20 hours per week once the income does not exceed a certain amount.

Theres a balance needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

If its a friend then no

If i have an axe to grind then screw you. Im not working so that people i dont like can smoke and drink their way through life. Yes i would report

Double standards yes but as a taxpayer (quite a heavy one - just gave said sponges €1300 last month) I feel like i am entitled* to have these standards

* I hate using the word entitled as it generally has negative connotations what with the greedy fekcs using it lately. Unions, Ivor and dubvious claimants that i dont get on with, im looking in you direction

If its a friend then no

If i have an axe to grind then screw you. Im not working so that people i dont like can smoke and drink their way through life. Yes i would report

Double standards yes but as a taxpayer (quite a heavy one - just gave said sponges €1300 last month) I feel like i am entitled* to have these standards

* I hate using the word entitled as it generally has negative connotations what with the greedy fekcs using it lately. Unions, Ivor and dubvious claimants that i dont get on with, im looking in you direction
    If I like ya, carry on, if I don't, f#ck ya?
    You call those 'standards'?

dvpower wrote: »
    Dole cheats don't need it; they're, well, dole cheats.
    You know well what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

If I like ya, carry on, if I don't, f#ck ya?
    You call those 'standards'?
    He calls them double standards which are rather different...

Anyway, I'd say most of us would behave this way, he's just being honest about it.

You know well what I mean.

'fraid not. I think you may be confusing dole cheats with people who live on dole money alone (and who actually are in need). Dole cheats are people who aren't deemed eligible for the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

No, anyone who defrauds the State gets my admiration. It does not deserve our loyalty or taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I'd demand half the dole cheat's loot or else rat him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Tbh it would depend on who the "dole cheat" was.

If it was someone I didn't particularly like, I probably would report them. But I wouldn't report someone I did like (or who I thought needed the money really badly.)

....actually, on second thoughts, I'm downright lazy and wouldn't be arsed reporting anyone unless it was someone I really hated (or someone who had loads of money and was just taking the piss.)

ILA wrote: »
    No, anyone who defrauds the State gets my admiration. It does not deserve our loyalty or taxes.
    The state IS us, you <expletive deleted>.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

If you knew the person was a proper dole cheat, not looking for work, working on the side, Then Yes,

If it was a single parent who was cleaning house's to feed the kids and also claiming the dole then no.

allanb49 wrote: »
    If you knew the person was a proper dole cheat, not looking for work, working on the side, Then Yes,

If it was a single parent who was cleaning house's to feed the kids and also claiming the dole then no.
    If they're cheating the dole then they're cheating the dole. Parent or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Is the irish mentality to let people away with corruption. "Sure they're not doing anybody any harm". Dah! Yes thats one of the reasons for our debt, not the dole cheats but we let smart arses ruin our country with dodgy lending deals and dodgy building practices. But we can't afford to educate our kids, look after the sick in hospitals so someone cheating on the dole is depriving someone in another area.

• Advertisement

femur61 wrote: »
    Is the irish mentality to let people away with corruption. "Sure they're not doing anybody any harm". Dah! Yes thats one of the reasons for our debt, not the dole cheats but we let smart arses ruin our country with dodgy lending deals and dodgy building practices. But we can't afford to educate our kids, look after the sick in hospitals so someone cheating on the dole is depriving someone in another area.
    Agreed. Apparently it's also OK to be a criminal if you're a parent too :rolleyes:

Advertisement