Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting dole cheats, Yay or Nah

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I said No, but I am no dole cheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Well the fückers in government break the law to give themselves and their buddies access to tax breaks, cheap loans, waivers for zoning laws, insider information etc. etc.. They fleece out the exchequer to pay for their "expenses". They play fast and loose with banking regulations which make their buddies vastly rich and when it all goes tits up what do they do? They pass the bill onto the taxpayer. They cut services and pensions and healthcare for the old dears. The introduce "austerity" measures targeting the guy on the dole.
    If that guy on the dole works a few days washing dishes or painting fences more power to him. You want him to go to the big house but not the cünts in Dail Eireann who are responsible for his predicament?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

If that guy on the dole works a few days washing dishes or painting fences more power to him. You want him to go to the big house but not the cünts in Dail Eireann who are responsible for his predicament?

I don't get this. Who says we don't want people in Dail Eireann to go to prison? One doesn't exclude the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robw017

easyeason3 wrote: »
    2) I think if someone is defrauding the state then they will eventually get caught all by themselves.
    was in my dole office recently waiting in the queue. girl ahead was signing off to start a fas course or summit. she owed the dsfa over €1k cause she claimed while she was in college until she dropped out. Doubt she was even in her 20's. such stupidity.
    I also read somewhere that about 5% of claimants are actually claiming less then they are entitled to., and i reckon thats partly down to errors in the dsfa office.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robw017

Johro wrote: »
    I know of a social welfare inspector who employed a local handyman to do a few jobs on his house, knowing he was on the dole, and when it came to paying the guy he pulled some bits of old furniture from the attic and offered them as payment.
    This handyman reckoned he couldn't argue about it coz the inspector kinda 'had him over a barrel'.
    I think that would work both ways.
    I also think you shouldn't judge people when you know nothing about their circumstances.
    So the inspector is abusing his position for his own gain, at the expense of the state?! Sounds like corruption to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

femur61 wrote: »
    so someone cheating on the dole is depriving someone in another area.

Hardly.
    No matter how many people qualify to sign on, they will get their dole.
    There is no such practice to deprive one area becasue another area is 'hogging all the dole'.
    Likewise, if every dole cheat in this country was exposed, do people think that taxes are going to suddenly plummet?

Well, they wouldn't.

Furthermore, if the dept. of social welfare wasn't forking all this money out to unemployed people, legitimate or otherwise, do people think that the health or education systems will suddenly perk up.

They wouldn't.

Though if these people were exposed, I'll bet the govt. could afford a new fleet of state cars every year, as opposed to every second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Hardly.
    No matter how many people qualify to sign on, they will get their dole.
    There is no such practice to deprive one area becasue another area is 'hogging all the dole'.
    Likewise, if every dole cheat in this country was exposed, do people think that taxes are going to suddenly plummet?

Well, they wouldn't.

Furthermore, if the dept. of social welfare wasn't forking all this money out to unemployed people, legitimate or otherwise, do people think that the health or education systems will suddenly perk up.

They wouldn't.

Though if these people were exposed, I'll bet the govt. could afford a new fleet of state cars every year, as opposed to every second year.

To extend this argument to its logical conclusion, we should then keep the same people in power because changing something changes nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

He calls them double standards which are rather different...

Anyway, I'd say most of us would behave this way, he's just being honest about it.
    Speak for yourself, don't include me. It's not my business how other people make ends meet. It would only be my business if I was a welfare inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

dvpower wrote: »
    'fraid not. I think you may be confusing dole cheats with people who live on dole money alone (and who actually are in need). Dole cheats are people who aren't deemed eligible for the dole.
    As in working and claiming, yeah I know that, read post again. I'm not saying dole cheats are in need of money, that bit is supposed to be separate from me saying the government are handing money to people who don't need it. Ah wtf just read it properly. Or don't bother. Too argumentative. You may be confusing me with someone who's stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

I don't have a job and don't qualify for Job Seekers Allowance due to my age (I'm 23) and I'm living at home and my parents professions (they're both not high class professionals but earn €100 over the means test cut off point). I'm not entitled to anything (absolutely 0, not even 20 or 40 quid a week!) even though if and when I get a job I will probably be taxed at a high level.

In this respect I would report dole cheats as it is unfair to the system and the rest of us who aren't 'entitled' to receive any benefits!

Cheating the system is cheating the system as far as I'm concerned.

I would also be inclined to consider the same with lone parents sharing houses with their partners. I don't feel that the tax payer should be paying the rent for those who are abusing the system either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Snakeblood wrote: »
    To extend this argument to its logical conclusion, we should then keep the same people in power because changing something changes nothing.

Exactly.
    In the context that I presented, nothing changes.

Advertisement