Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHD Boards Query

Options
  • 25-08-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hey guys!
    New to surfing only been doing it a few weeks during the summer and seriously thinking about getting a DHD board which I saw it in a shop...just wondering if any of ye have ad any experiences with this good/bad etc?
    Thanks in advance
    Ak51535

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Swaine55

really nice boards, if your starting dont get a short one though

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭aongo

come from darren handley's (DHD = darren handley designs) factory in oz, he shapes for pros like mick fanning etc... good boards though pricey, but would not be recommending one as a first board esp if you've only been at it for a few weeks!??

why don't you talk to a local irish shaper about a board that can be made to suit your needs at the moment, and save the DHD until you have a bit more experience?
    with an irish shaper you'll still get a great, unique, individual board that will suit you, and chances are still cheaper than the DHD one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eoin_murphy

I'd never surfed below 7' and I went into <a well known cork surfshop> and the salesman assured me that a 6'6" (really 6'4") narrow DHD would suit me fine.

If you've never really surfed before don't go below 7 foot (ideally 8). What you want is a board which will work even in smaller conditions. This allows you to go out when the conditions are quieter and catch more waves (as a beginner you should catching as many waves as you can and worry about quality/technique later). With a smaller board you'll miss waves and it's easy to get disheartened if you're just sitting on your ass for an hour or two.

Now I was dumb enough to struggle on for a few months before I picked up a 7'4" board from shallow reef . After 6 months or so with that (moving up from the smaller board, you'll find you catch absolutely everything you go for because you'll be used to paddling harder) I'm finally getting into paddling shape and I'm starting to have fun with the short board.

Yes they're great boards but god it's hard work to get them moving through the water fast enough.

Advertisement