Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Moon through my binos

Options
  • 25-08-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Not the most impressive of pictures but this was my best effort at getting a photo of the moon through my 15x70's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Nice picture but i thought you'd see more detail with the binos?

I took these two with just a canon sx200 IS camera

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

finipops wrote: »

You can with the binos, my camera is crap though. It was my first attempt at getting a pic through them and I was strangely proud of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Drake66 wrote: »
    You can with the binos, my camera is crap though. It was my first attempt at getting a pic through them and I was strangely proud of it!

Fair enough then. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

finipops wrote: »

Granted, his focus was off a bit but the main reason is he was taking a pic of a full moon. Ain't no shadows to highlight the craters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Good photos guys. It is very true what Calibos says about full moons and craters. Waxing or waning moons always have better views of the craters, especially the craters near the terminator. For those that don't know, the terminator is the name used for the edge of light and dark on a waxing or waning moon. As you'll see from any such photo, those are the craters that really get highlighted. Full moons are too bright to show the craters at their best. Even on a waxing or waning moon, you will see how the brighter areas facing the sun don't show much detail compared to the areas near the terminator, as this photo I took a few years ago shows:

Moonhalf1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Had a look at the terminator tonight myself. Took a picture with my phone camera through the scope. Cranked up the magnification to as much as possible.

This is the result: Terminator!

That's not the full moon. that's the rounded image produced by pointing a crappy camera phone up to an eyepiece :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Took these a few nights back.

dscf0369moon1.jpg

dscf0369moon2.jpg

Advertisement