Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't turn off auto renewal?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Setup the brothers account with 1 months live! He wanted to give MW2 a go.. :rolleyes:

I wanted to turn off the auto renew but I cant? I can turn it on and off on my account fine..

Any ideas?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

As far as I know in Ireland and the UK atm you have to call to get it turned off, maybe you have an American account. but as far as I know you have to call support to get it turned off.. you could try removing the credit card from the account online too. Sign in on xbox.com and use the drop down menu on the right ("My Xbox") and go to My Account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

you could also ring your credit card company and tell them to take it off/dont let them take money from it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Forgot about this.. My account is an Irish account! I remember several months ago they brought in the option to turn off auto renewal.

This is some hassle now I don't want to go spending 40 minutes on a phone to some idiot at microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Takes around 5-10 mins by phone. If even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Try it on the website they put in a function there recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I am trying it on the website. I might just see if there's an option on the xbox itself. If not ill give them a ring later, but from reading on here it could take awhile to get anything sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

rizzla wrote: »
    Takes around 5-10 mins by phone. If even.

Im on hold for 14 mins so far.

Its a disgrace, they can do that. 1st of all you have to choose auto renewal when you sign up. And they tell you that it can be turned off in account settings.

When I go to account settings it says I have to ring. When I ring a recording tells me that by making this call I am accepting that my info can be stored and used anywhere in the world by microsoft. So basically, the only way to cancel auto renewal is to swap it for my personal info.

Id reckon that just might be illegal according to the data protection act, & Im already looking into making a formal complaint & taking this matter further. Scumbags scamming money & info from everyone on xbox live. I really think Ill sell my xbox & buy a PS3 instead because of this.

Still on hold - 18 mins now.

28 mins - getting seriously p1ssed off.

32 f**king minutes on hold for some robotic sounding yank to tell me he does not have the "tools" to turn off auto renewal.
    I'm to be transferred to a different dept. which has a "long wait."
    I just got very angry, abused the guy & hung up. well that got me nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

You should have been answered :/ got straight through here

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

On the xbox site you have to go to billing history which will take you to a new site, from there select your membership and then cancel my membership. This will cancel the membership on the date of renewal, same as turning off auto renew.

Tried that Dean, still have to ring to cancel account. I went onto a chat window to talk to an agent. Heres how that went..

Please wait for an agent to respond. You are currently '1' in the queue. Privacy Statement
    You are now chatting with 'Fergus'.

Fergus: Hi Jim how can I help?

Fergus: I haven't heard from you for a few minutes. Are you still there?

you: Auto renewal Its a disgrace, they can do that. 1st of all you have to choose auto renewal when you sign up. And they tell you that it can be turned off in account settings. When I go to account settings it says I have to ring. When I ring a recording tells me that by making this call I am accepting that my info can be stored and used anywhere in the world by microsoft. So basically, the only way to cancel auto renewal is to swap it for my personal info. Id reckon that just might be illegal according to the data protection act, & Im already looking into making a formal complaint & taking this matter further. Scumbags scamming money & info from everyone on xbox live. I really think Ill sell my xbox & buy a PS3 instead because of this. Still on hold - 18 mins now. 28 mins - getting seriously p1ssed off. 32 f**king minutes on hold for some robotic sounding yank to tell me he does not have the "tools" to turn off auto renewal. I'm to be transferred to a different dept. which has a "long wait." I just got very angry, abused the guy & hung up. well that got me nowhere.

you: a copy of a post I left on a forum.

Fergus: You can avoid auto-renewal by purchasing a prepaid card in any major retailer such as Tescos.

Fergus: The feature to turn it off online is becoming available world wide today

Fergus: If you would like me to turn it off for you will, I will be more than happy to do so.

Fergus: off you you,*

Fergus: off for you*

you: I should be able to use any card I want to use. Anyway, I was using a prepaid card & now all my credit on it is gone. I know thats my fault for not being in contact sooner, but its still very unfair to any xbox user.
    you: Yes could you turn it off please.

Fergus: Your account is due to downgrade on 09/12/2011. If you wish to use a prepaid card you can do so at anytime. On the 9th of December your account will revert to a free account. If you wish to change the payment method for your subscription you can do so @ www.billing.microsoft.com
    Fergus: If you wish to remove your card from the account you will need to wait for the account to downgrade, or change the payment method on the subscription to a new card.

Fergus: I apologise for your previous experience, and would like to ensure you that this process will become extremely easier over the next two months. It will be available through the website by the end of today, and new methods will become available in the near future.

Fergus: Would you like a reference number?

you: No its OK, I'll wait until 9/12/11 Thanks.

Fergus: You're welcome Jim, is there anything else I can help with?

you: No thats it, thanks fergus.

Fergus: Have a nice day Jim, and should you have any issues in the future just come straight back to us.

Fergus: Thank you for contacting Xbox Customer Support. To end your chat session please click the green X above the chat window: chat_window_icon_close.png

Not a whole lot better, but at least auto renewal will be available online from today onwards.

• Advertisement

No harm but theres no need for that carry on, people are only doing their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tampler

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/325821/microsoft-finally-lets-you-cancel-xbox-live-auto-renewal/

I was able to finally turn it off from xbox.com. Log in, go to "My Account" then go to "Manage payment options". you should be able to turn it off from there.

Yeah the one day I finally ring them & they tell me it'll be available online a few hours later.
    I'll have to go pick a fight somewhere else!

Why pick a fight with the people who have no control over anything?
    Its pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Meesared wrote: »
    No harm but theres no need for that carry on, people are only doing their jobs

just not very well....

Some lessons to be learned here for the rest of us...

DONT set up any sort of repeat payment on your credit card. Its not like a standing order or Direct Debit on a current account, its what is called a CPO or continuous payment order. The only one who can switch it off is the company who you have the agreement with...ie the people who are taking your money !!!! And dont think that cancelling your "normal" credit card or closing the credit card account will work either, the card provider (Bank, Building Society, Credit union, etc) can and probably will be oblidged to pay the due amount and then has the right to get the money from you.

The only bit of good advice that was given was to use a pre-paid card, even if it wasnt the most sensible thing to say to someone who has had their funds cleaned out ! But isnt in ridiculous that a huge company such as this treats its customers in such a way ?

Meesared wrote: »
    Why pick a fight with the people who have no control over anything?
    Its pointless

If you are dealing with the representatives of a company who has treated you very badly, hasnt complied with your instructions, has ignored previous messages , has continued to take your hard earned money, who are you meant to deal with ?

Of course they have control over it, In any well run, customer focused business they would have the option to refer it up the line to management with a recommendation for a refund and immediate cancellation....

Dont take that "its against company policy" b*llsh*t as an excuse, any company that is faced with a mistake made by their staff or by a systemic error/issue that causes problems/financial cost for their customers is morally oblidged to ensure that those customers are refunded/compensated...But then morals have very little to do with big business these days !

From what you have said previously..."You should have been answered :/ got straight through here "... it would appear that you either work for that company or in a similar operation ? So I am sure , while understanding what it is like for those who deal with the public, you can also understand the immense frustration of those of us who have to deal with lax customer service and a company who dont give two damns about their customers !

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

280special wrote: »
    Some lessons to be learned here for the rest of us...

DONT set up any sort of repeat payment on your credit card. Its not like a standing order or Direct Debit on a current account, its what is called a CPO or continuous payment order. The only one who can switch it off is the company who you have the agreement with...ie the people who are taking your money !!!! And dont think that cancelling your "normal" credit card or closing the credit card account will work either, the card provider (Bank, Building Society, Credit union, etc) can and probably will be oblidged to pay the due amount and then has the right to get the money from you.

The only bit of good advice that was given was to use a pre-paid card, even if it wasnt the most sensible thing to say to someone who has had their funds cleaned out ! But isnt in ridiculous that a huge company such as this treats its customers in such a way ?

Isn't ridiculous when people buy things without reading any of the information?

Phegasus wrote: »

Yep ! But in fairness , in some cases, the information is that well hidden that it is almost impossible to find, and you can have situations where you have to opt out rather than opt in for these renewals.

Oh My F**KING GOD!

Those shower of fookers are still taking 7euro off my card every month.
    I swear to god, Im gonna pull my hair out, I feel like Im being bullied, handing over money against my will by a huge company & I cant do jack sh!t about it.

Solicitors letter seems to be the only option at this stage.

• Advertisement

Phegasus wrote: »

Man if I started reading the info last year when I set up the account, Id still be reading.
    I read the info on auto renewal, it said I can turn it off online.
    It turns out I cant & I have to ring.
    When I ring, Im told that by ringing I accept the Microsoft can give 3rd party companies my info.
    And you stand up for the company? Grow a pair will you, its cos of people like you that we can be treated like this.

Advertisement