Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you respond to chuggers??

Options
  • 26-08-2010 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I feel so bad when they're the younger kids, and when they tell you its their first day on the job. So I usually give them something - but, today a guy from the Hanley Centre stopped me, and asked me to support them.

I informed him I didn't have change, and he responded "Thats okay, we give change." and proceeded to stand looking right into my wallet as I checked to see if I had a note on me. :mad:

As it turned out, I didn't have any cash whatsoever, so I ended up telling him I'd "get him on the way back".

I usually just give the concern people my wrong bank information, so thats not a problem.

But yeah -- how do YOU say No to chuggers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Just say no.

(politely)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I don't stop long enough for them to start looking into whats in my wallet for a start.
    Tell them no or ignore them altogether and keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Sorry, I'm not concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I pleasantly say "No thanks". If they keep at it, I say something along the lines of "Look, I said no thanks - you shouldn't harass people like that, it's only going to put them off you even more".

Thankfully there aren't many chuggers in Cork - they're a scourge in Dublin though. Kinda like London and rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

"No, do you?"

And I stand there awkwardly as they try to laugh it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

If it's one of the bigger charities looking for you to sign up just lie and say you already give money to them. If they say 'you can always give more', you can simply respond by telling them to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I am well capable of saying no to them or walking by them, I don't begrudge
    them or build up a lot of pent up anger because I'm afraid of saying no to
    a person. I'm perfectly capable of coming to my own decisions about donating
    and/or volunteering & don't need others to tell me but I do recognise that
    these people make a serious difference.

Nearly every time I walk by I see one of these "chuggers" having a conversation
    with someone off the street or I'll see a person writing on the forms they carry
    commiting time & money to their cause so it's nice to see
    not everyone wants to go online and spout anger at these "chuggers".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I did that for the Hanley center for a while. Actually one day,I had to leave after the end of the day because ive never been told to "**** off you ****" so many times in one day.

Its a job and people are just trying to make ends meet. A polite no thanks usually does the trick and is also the sign of a decent human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

"Do I LOOK concerned?"

It only really works with the concern ones though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ArerA

I actually wouldn't mind, but I'm about 20 euro away from needing some "concern" myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Just slap them...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ArerA wrote: »
    I informed him I didn't have change, and he responded "Thats okay, we give change." and proceeded to stand looking right into my wallet as I checked to see if I had a note on me. :mad:

As it turned out, I didn't have any cash whatsoever, so I ended up telling him I'd "get him on the way back".

I usually just give the concern people my wrong bank information, so thats not a problem.

Why the hell would you even let it get to that point?

Just walk by. Don't make eye contact. It's not that hard to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just say "Sorry, I've already eaten" and leg it while they look confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

a polite no thank you, or head phones in, and look at phone to avoid eye contact.

Grimes wrote: »
    I did that for the Hanley center for a while. Actually one day,I had to leave after the end of the day because ive never been told to "**** off you ****" so many times in one day.

Its a job and people are just trying to make ends meet. A polite no thanks usually does the trick and is also the sign of a decent human being.
    Ok, but it's the way the chugging's done - it can be carried out in a very intrusive and even rude manner. One Amnesty guy said to me something like "What kind of person are you?" one day on Grafton Street when I merely said "No thanks" to his advances. I mean, no need for people to get personal with chuggers if they're being civil, but no need for chuggers to get personal either.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Why the hell would you even let it get to that point?

Just walk by. Don't make eye contact. It's not that hard to do!

At the risk of sounding like a sap, I would be upset if someone was blatently rude to me, so I try be nice to them. They do have a job to do, I understand that, but they are annoying.

Even if I give money to one guy, and another stops me a while later, I feel terrible saying "I've supported it already", in case they think I'm lying. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

If i have loads of change on me i tap my pockets (which makes all the coins clink & rattle) & then say sorry ive no change on me?!

Then as im walking away i might chuck a few coins into the gutter or bin.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

" Hi there! Do you have a minute for concern?"

"Do you have concern for my minute?"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Dudess wrote: »
    they're a scourge in Dublin though. Kinda like London and rats.

Hmmm I gather you don't like London then!:confused::confused:

Master of the Universe

There's one particular guy from PAWs who does my head in on Grafton street as he'll follow you down the road.

'Hi, you look like someone who wants to help cats and dogs!'

'Sorry, no thanks'

/starts walking beside me

'But they need your help!'

'I already have two dogs and they cost me a fortune in vet bills, no thanks'

'What all about the ones you CAN'T save?'
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Doooo

One guy around Temple Bar was using "Would you like to save a childs life today?" as his opening line.

I was waiting for a friend of mine there, and there were 3 chuggers floating around. Two of them approached me once, and the third person apporached me twice.
    ...and they were all working for the same charity. Grrr.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Don't see where I said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Faith+1 wrote: »

Tube tracks full of them, running along the track, my worst nightmare is for a tube to breakdown and to have to walk along the track to the next station :(:(

Master of the Universe

At the risk of sounding like a sap, I would be upset if someone was blatently rude to me, so I try be nice to them.

They're being rude to you by stopping you in the street and making you feel uncomfortable. You don't owe them anything.
    Even if I give money to one guy, and another stops me a while later, I feel terrible saying "I've supported it already", in case they think I'm lying. :(

Seriously? Why would you care what they think? All they want is your money.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Tube tracks full of them, running along the track, my worst nightmare is for a tube to breakdown and to have to walk along the track to the next station :(:(

:eek::eek:

Oh Stop!

The thoughts of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭6stringmaniac

"Qué?"

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Headphones in and avoiding eye contact is usually the best way. I don't like ignoring them, but I don't have spare money to go giving it out to every person who asks:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I should be more sympathetic towards them since I DID work for the Hanley Centre one summer :o

I only lasted a day and a half though. Think I sold six scratchcards. Most humiliating job ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

Grimes wrote: »

See, my problem is that a polite no thanks never seems to do the trick. I've had Hanley centre people follow me after Ive said no, I've had them ask me why not, they just keep going and going, its harassment and it happens 4 or 5 times if I'm walking down Henry Street. And of course I'm not targeting the Hanley crowd the same has happened with Concern, Paws, lots of them really.

I'm curious, since you worked for Hanley, do you know, are workers urged to really go after people you know, follow them around? Its something I've always wondered because some can be really full on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

If caught without headphones/eye contact made, tell them (the Concern guys anyways) with a smile, " I already have a direct debit, thanks", they'll end up thanking you!

Works a treat for me every time, and politeness never killed anyone

Advertisement