Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you respond to chuggers??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

I should be more sympathetic towards them since I DID work for the Hanley Centre one summer :o

I only lasted a day and a half though. Think I sold six scratchcards. Most humiliating job ever.

I did that job many many moons ago for a Charity, ah, the naivete of youth, worst experience ever. Utterly horrible. Lasted to the end of the day...made a whole £7 for my days humiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

If it's concern or the like I tell them i'm only 16 so I can't.

Have a purposefull scornfull look on my face down henry and grafton street and usually walk with speed and purpose.

I'm not a miser, just broke most of the time. I do find they try and target specific people....i.e. me....(geeky glasses wearing skinny guy) But no, your fake tan and overfully nice attitude is not enticing me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Kick them in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Kick them in the face.

Your not facekicker ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

"Oh right Ted."

*walk off.*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Crow92 wrote: »
    Your not facekicker ;)

And you're not really a crow, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

I give them a quick slap of the jaw and say "the game".

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

MMD wrote: »
    I did that job many many moons ago for a Charity, ah, the naivete of youth, worst experience ever. Utterly horrible. Lasted to the end of the day...made a whole £7 for my days humiliation.

I can't remember how much I made, I think it was about €15. They told me to come in the next day and collect it, but I'd already spent more than that on my buses! Basts :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

"What? Were you saying something? Look I dont speak Spanish"

On the headphones, the problem I have with them is sometimes they say something to you or make a gesture, and I'd take them off then to hear what they're saying to be polite, only to find out they're a charity worker

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

o1s1n wrote: »
    There's one particular guy from PAWs who does my head in on Grafton street as he'll follow you down the road.

'Hi, you look like someone who wants to help cats and dogs!'

'Sorry, no thanks'

/starts walking beside me

'But they need your help!'

'I already have two dogs and they cost me a fortune in vet bills, no thanks'

'What all about the ones you CAN'T save?'
    :mad:

Got 'hounded' by him a few months back..
    bought the bloody toy .. Never again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Doooo wrote: »
    One guy around Temple Bar was using "Would you like to save a childs life today?" as his opening line.

Haha. Does he actually get results with that line?

I wonder what he says when he's trying to chat up a girl...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

tell them to fuck off or you'll rape their granny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Tell them to work voluntarily and maybe I'll consider it.

Fuck them and their €13/hour wages :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Running clothesline!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Actually now that I think of it, someone ages ago told me to rabble off some nonsense to them to leave them standing there for a second thinking, rather than following you down the street...

Something along the lines of: I'm sorry, my keys are in my pocket, or I like skinless sausages :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Dudess wrote: »
    I pleasantly say "No thanks". If they keep at it, I say something along the lines of "Look, I said no thanks - you shouldn't harass people like that, it's only going to put them off you even more".

Thankfully there aren't many chuggers in Cork - they're a scourge in Dublin though. Kinda like London and rats.

I do the same 'no thanks' but they can be so pushy, that pisses me off big time. The truth is, I don't want to have make friends with someone at the bottom of a damn conveyor belt. I'm often stressed to bits and dont want the fuss. I'd be far more likely to donate to the bucket thats left at the end of the conveyor belt, rather than someone having interferred and packed my bags and made awkward conversation with me.

I have to admit, I won't go anywhere I know there will be bag packers now. If Im gonna go out and get a few things, I'll hit Lidl. Fire things into the trolley on the other side, no questions asked.

Why is it you can't leave your front door and go about your business without people at you all the time?

Chuggers... I feel a Falling Down moment coming on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I've been accosted by these feckers countless times. I try to be polite and fob them off but other times I have to stand there for a minute listening to them waffle on about what good work they are doing and why I should give them my bank details.

Only ever lost it once with them, poor girl caught me on a very bad day after I managed to sneak past the rest of her posse on shop street, Galway. I'm sorry to say that I flipped and went totally ape****, I gave out to her for a few minutes while she just stood there in shock, always felt a bit guilty about that because I know she was just doing her ****ty job.

Perhaps the reformed chuggers on here can answer a few questions:

What do guidance/training do the companies that hire give before they set you loose on the streets?

Do they tell you to look out for any particular type of person? I've heard that they tend to target the quiet, meek looking one's.

Any good stories about some memorable encounters you had while chugging?

Are their many people stupid/timid who will actually sign up to the charity?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Grimes wrote: »
    I did that for the Hanley center for a while. Actually one day,I had to leave after the end of the day because ive never been told to "**** off you ****" so many times in one day.

Its a job and people are just trying to make ends meet. A polite no thanks usually does the trick and is also the sign of a decent human being.
    If only a polite no thanks would get them to fúck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

cournioni wrote: »
    If only a polite no thanks would get them to fúck off.

It should be banned, you don't see this crap in most countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I find that " Fack off and get out of my face you greedy cant " is enough to make them leave me alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've been accosted by these feckers countless times. I try to be polite and fob them off but other times I have to stand there for a minute listening to them waffle on about what good work they are doing and why I should give them my bank details.
    Why? Do they glue you to the ground? Tie you up? Activate some extreme gravity device?
    Why don't you just get a backbone and keep walking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Tap my wrist as if to say 'Short on time'.

Or if i'm cranky i say "Sorry, i'm a heartless bastard."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

"Sorry I can't hear you over the massive amount of change jumping about in my pockets."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

One ask them for the loan of a smoke bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

ArerA wrote: »
    today a guy from the Hanley Centre stopped me, and asked me to support them.

I remember being plagued by these people from the Hanley Centre in Galway about 6 or 7 years ago, went down for the races and they were everywhere. In fact they put me off stopping for life, now I usually have my MP3 player in so I either pretend I don't hear them or else I just say, "Sorry I can't stop, in a rush" while finishing off the sentence in my head with "you cnut!"....bit harsh I know but there you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I work in Dublin city and every singe day without fail at lunch time i get asked by the same people on my way to the sandwich shop, and on the way back again ' Hi have you got a minute for concern?'

It used to really get my back up but I've kinda come to admire their massive brass balls.
    On how to get by them. Simples just smile and say no thanks and KEEP ON WALKING!
    Who gives a fvuk what they think of you.

Never heard the name chuggers before, where does that come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I usually buy tickets to support the Hanley centre. There was a really pretty girl selling them last week, was surprised I knew what the place did. She had a pretty umbrella too :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thanks for reminding me about concern!

I have had a direct debit with them for ages. Did it through their website. I was walking down henry st the other day and some chugger from concern tried to stop me. I said I had a direct debit but that didn't stop her. She was trying to pressure me into donating more money for pakistan and guilt tripping me over my existing donation.

Time for concern to lose a donation over those tactics :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

weiland79 wrote: »

Never heard the name chuggers before, where does that come from?

charity muggers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I just tell them, im on social welfare, i could do with a donation myself, always works a treat.

Advertisement