Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you respond to chuggers??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

just tell them you donated to the other chap chugging up the road (which you clearly didnt).

Then go and spend that money in Burger King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Non-zany type: apologize and politely indicate/say I'm in a rush

Zany/jump-out/persistent type: tell them to fuck off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

did it for 5 years in london either on the street or as a manager. got punched three times, punched someone myself once. the pay was good, started at £9.50 an hour and by the time i left i was on over £32000. Over the 5 years i was there the people i signed up donated a total of £924,000 to the charities i represented, roughly 6 times what I earned in that time, making it a great return for the charities.

Oh, and there is NO COMMISSION involved in chugging at all. just an hourly rate.

worked with some great people, the training where i worked was excellent(2 weeks long) and eventualy i moved into management.

one time some business-type cnut at Liverpool st. spat at my colleague. i walked after him and told him that if he did not go back and apologise, I would follow him, find out where he lived and then fcuk his wife while I spat in his face.

he apologised.

it's a good way to build a career though, i started "chugging" at age 27, due to disillusionment with my choice of career, and now at 37 manage a business in Ireland with a turnover of over €250m per year. You get excellent training, and good advancement prospects, by the time I left the industry I was managing over 150 people. Also some top days out by the seaside drinking instead of working...

that said, i'd never do it again.

the easiest way to avoid them is just say "no thanks" and keep walking. the funniest ones are the people who pretend to be on the phone, and then the phone rings while they hold it to their ears. priceless.

every chugger has their own type of person they target, i always signed up business men or women, easier to guilt trip them, haha. Some of my colleagues targeted 18-25 year old members of the opposite sex, as it was easy to flirt with them, but they only give small amounts. flirt with a MILF in Kensington and you'd get £50 a month easily.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Punch in the face followed by repeated kicks to the stomach usually does the trick i find.....

most chuggers could kick your arse! i worked with some hardcases in my time, who wouldn't take the **** people gave them.

people think they can insult chuggers with no consequences. one time a guy i know(a rugby player from south africa) stayed in Peterborough for three hours after work looking for the bloke who called him a **** and spat at him, and then he hospitalized him with one punch.

people who insult chuggers are pathetic really, would you insult anyone else trying to do a job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

Chugger: Do you have a minute for concern?

Me: Sorry I don't speak English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

summerskin wrote: »
    people who insult chuggers are pathetic really, would you insult anyone else trying to do a job?

I've told them to fuck off before, but only if they do idiotic things like jump out in front of me, try and stop me from walking on by moving in front of me or mutter something smart if you don't want to stop. These situations have all happened to me and it constitutes harassment.

If they approach politely and accept a polite refusal, then I've no problem with them at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I asked one of them one day how much their CEO was on these days?
    120K+ ??

they were not amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dazzacon

When ever a girl chugger comes up to me all smiley and asks do i have a second to talk, I smile back and tell them thanks, i'm flattered, but i already have a girlfriend and walk on.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I asked one of them one day how much their CEO was on these days?
    120K+ ??

they were not amused.

so, who would you like to run a charity?

if the charity has a turnover of around £150m per year, who should they employ to manage the accounts effectively?

Some poorly paid accounts technician? or a professional?

some of you seem to have no idea that a charity has to be run as a business. about 8-12% will cover admin and salary costs, about 20% will go toward fundraising(ie. investing the money to raise MORE money) and the rest goes to the causes.

but those feckers that are "crazy" and jump out at you, yep, they are annoying ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I've never seen a tough chugger.
    I've also never seen so much bullshít from one person in one thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i tried the already giving you money line before, flashed them my make poverty history bracelet a few years ago, told them am already giving them money, they quickly informed me, that campaign was over, and now had a new charity drive.

the head down in phone, no eyecontact, and head phones usally works.

SV wrote: »

+1
    so, who would you like to run a charity?

someone NOT on the kind of salary I referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They shouldn't be there in my opinion.
    If i want to give to charity i will.
    I don't need some gobsheen with a clip board giving me a hard sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Chugger target the friendliest, most helpful people in society and try to fool them into stopping. They are contributing to making our society more unpleasant as it forces everyone to be wary of strangers flagging them down on the street. So, no, I don't think they deserve a polite response and I'm glad to hear life as a chugger is hard.

Walk past them, don't acknowledge them. If they try to get in your way walk through them. You shouldn't be getting embarrassed or wasting your time making up complicated excuses, treat them as if they don't even exist. I'd move aside to avoid a pigeon, but chuggers mean nothing to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

When one came up from behind me last week and grabbed the strap of my bag to get my attention, I lost any and all sympathy I'd ever had for these a**holes. Everything was fine until he laid his hands on my possessions. How bloody dare he!? I get angry just thinking about the cheek of that **** :mad:

SV wrote: »

funnily i saw plenty of "tough" punters on the street who ran a mile when you confronted them.

very similar to the keyboard warriors on here, like yourself, who show their ignorance when confronted with facts.

as for not paying 120k, what do you think you would get for less? someone who is not used to dealing with large accounts and would therefore waste more money.

the FD at the company i work at now(in the oil trade) earns well over 150k a year for managing a turnover of 250m. if he was to take over as CEO of a charity he would look to be paid at a similar rate as to what he would receive in any other industry.

jokettle wrote: »
    When one came up from behind me last week and grabbed the strap of my bag to get my attention, I lost any and all sympathy I'd ever had for these a**holes. Everything was fine until he laid his hands on my possessions. How bloody dare he!? I get angry just thinking about the cheek of that **** :mad:

you should have complained, that would be a sackable offence. the bloke sounds like a tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

funnily i saw plenty of "tough" punters on the street who ran a mile when you confronted them.

very similar to the keyboard warriors on here, like yourself, who show their ignorance when confronted with facts.

as for not paying 120k, what do you think you would get for less? someone who is not used to dealing with large accounts and would therefore waste more money.

the FD at the company i work at now(in the oil trade) earns well over 150k a year for managing a turnover of 250m. if he was to take over as CEO of a charity he would look to be paid at a similar rate as to what he would receive in any other industry.

lol, I'm not a keyboard warrior.
    I've nothing to prove to anyone on the internetz!

You still work as a chugger don't you?

not worked in the charity sector for over 5 years now. enjoyed it at the time but wouldn't do it again.

chuggers can be a pain in the arse, but they are there because the charities want them to be. complain to the charities, not to the chuggers themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ArerA

I remember this one time, coming out of the credit union, there was some charity guy sitting right outside, and was hurling abuse at those who walked past him without contributing.

Anyhow, just as I was walking out, a garda passed by, and heard him yell abuse at some passer by.

The garda informed him any donations should be voluntary, and he had a good mind to revoke the permit that he was using to collect.

Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭28064212

"Have you got a minute..."

"No thanks" - Keep on walking, don't break stride, no need to hurry up either. If they follow (sometimes they do) just completely ignore them, don't respond in any way. If they want to waste their time following you up the street, let them. It's their time they're wasting, I don't change what I'm doing one tiny bit.

The only exception is if they touch you or try to stop you in any way. Tell them if they try that again, you'll report them to their head office. And if they do try it again, report them

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

iPod, iTouch or iPhone, three easy solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

feh, seen too much into the inner workings of these charities to be bothered with them. no, sorry usually works fine for getting rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

i normally just say "no thanks" and keep walking.

But about 3 weeks ago i was walking down Grafton St and i was having a very serious phone conversation and i was clearly very upset. And one of those bast ards comes out of nowhere and starts walking beside me asking me to help "insert charity".

I told him no, and then he called me a snotty bit*ch! I nearly punched him.

Ignorant tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Dord wrote: »
    "Do I LOOK concerned?"

It only really works with the concern ones though. :pac:

"Do I look Hanley?" Meh, works for me!
    I usually buy tickets to please the really pretty girl selling them last week, was surprised I knew what the place did. She had a pretty umbrella too :P.

Fyp.

not worked in the charity sector for over 5 years now.

I cannot accept that a charity should be just another sector. If you are asking ordinary people on the streets to donate freely yet have a CEO that would require such a bloated salary doesn't sit right with me. I know plenty of extremely clever and willing people who work with charities and even full time people are on minimal salaries, they are no less talented and clever than corporate big shots who run a charity like concern and maybe they won't get as far because they're not as ruthless but they are the charities I will be donating to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    iPod, iTouch or iPhone, three easy solutions.

Do Apple now have a tazer app? Sweet!

Summer, 1 word - Bollox.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I just blank them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I always pretend I have tourettes and I start shouted "PISS", "PISS COMIN OUTTA MY ASS", it usually freaks them out and I continue walking

Advertisement