Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you respond to chuggers??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    iPod, iTouch or iPhone, three easy solutions.

wow, is there nothing the apple brand cant do

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Sorry to giveaway the secret, but yes, I am Steve Jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

summerskin wrote: »
    funnily i saw plenty of "tough" punters on the street who ran a mile when you confronted them.

very similar to the keyboard warriors on here, like yourself, who show their ignorance when confronted with facts.

as for not paying 120k, what do you think you would get for less? someone who is not used to dealing with large accounts and would therefore waste more money.

the FD at the company i work at now(in the oil trade) earns well over 150k a year for managing a turnover of 250m. if he was to take over as CEO of a charity he would look to be paid at a similar rate as to what he would receive in any other industry.

I work in business and don't agree. Charities are non profit organisations and there is no reason for them to pay any individual that type of money.

did it for 5 years in london either on the street or as a manager. got punched three times, punched someone myself once. the pay was good, started at £9.50 an hour and by the time i left i was on over £32000. Over the 5 years i was there the people i signed up donated a total of £924,000 to the charities i represented, roughly 6 times what I earned in that time, making it a great return for the charities.

Oh, and there is NO COMMISSION involved in chugging at all. just an hourly rate.

worked with some great people, the training where i worked was excellent(2 weeks long) and eventualy i moved into management.

one time some business-type cnut at Liverpool st. spat at my colleague. i walked after him and told him that if he did not go back and apologise, I would follow him, find out where he lived and then fcuk his wife while I spat in his face.

he apologised.

it's a good way to build a career though, i started "chugging" at age 27, due to disillusionment with my choice of career, and now at 37 manage a business in Ireland with a turnover of over €250m per year. You get excellent training, and good advancement prospects, by the time I left the industry I was managing over 150 people. Also some top days out by the seaside drinking instead of working...

that said, i'd never do it again.

the easiest way to avoid them is just say "no thanks" and keep walking. the funniest ones are the people who pretend to be on the phone, and then the phone rings while they hold it to their ears. priceless.

every chugger has their own type of person they target, i always signed up business men or women, easier to guilt trip them, haha. Some of my colleagues targeted 18-25 year old members of the opposite sex, as it was easy to flirt with them, but they only give small amounts. flirt with a MILF in Kensington and you'd get £50 a month easily.....

Lower life-form way of making a living...

most chuggers could kick your arse! i worked with some hardcases in my time, who wouldn't take the **** people gave them.

people think they can insult chuggers with no consequences. one time a guy i know(a rugby player from south africa) stayed in Peterborough for three hours after work looking for the bloke who called him a **** and spat at him, and then he hospitalized him with one punch.

people who insult chuggers are pathetic really, would you insult anyone else trying to do a job?

It's not a job, it's a type of harrassment that's worse than begging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I generally don't mind them as most of them are the "wave at you half a mile away and when you get close ask for a moment" I just say no, sorry and continue walking.

BUT....I have noticed these annoying young wans on Grafton Street lately, working for some alchoholics rehab place who don't wear any obvious bibs and they pretty much sneak up on you and start talking. I say "No, sorry" and keep walking and they continue walking beside you and continue talking......seriously annoying. I had to tell one of them to f*ck off last week, first time I have done that with a chugger, but they left me no choice....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's guilt-tripping on a very basic level.

"I should've stopped. But I give to charity already. Now I look like a tosser."

Suppose that's the general train of thought when dealing with chuggers.

Depends on the mood you're in too. I was p*ssed off (can't remember why!) and must've shown it as one approached me on Grafton St (Dublin :pac:) and I gave him the "evil look", he didn't bother continuing his approach.

Even if I'm in a decent mood, I'll just go "no", a little wave and continue walking. I've never had any of them chase me, although I'd probably go postal if they did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

What they did in my hometown is they wait outside the post office with a table, directly across form the door so you have to run into them, on pension day and try to get old people to sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

In Wicklow there a few weeks ago, they'd actually set up bockades on the road forcing cars to slow down and be chugged at

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ArerA wrote: »
    But yeah -- how do YOU say No to chuggers.

I was once asked to buy a rehab scratch card for some alco awareness yoke...

...I said... well what if I was a gambling addict?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

What they did in my hometown is they wait outside the post office with a table, directly across form the door so you have to run into them, on pension day and try to get old people to sign up

Are you serious ? Which charity did that ?

That is just vile if it's true, intentionally targetting vulnerable old people like that is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

I just say I'm already a donor. Cos I am! Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Yep, do the same near where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I remember one time some girls stopped me to ask for money for some Rape charity thing, I was listenin to my headphones so took them out for a sec and said I cant help and walked off, Its only after i put them back in and started to walk off i realised as she stopped me i was listening to "Stripped, Raped & Strangled" by Cannibal Corpse. ah irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Always think its slightly mad that you'd give your bank details to some stranger on the street. I wouldn't in a million years.

I'd never give any money to charity collectors actively appraching people on the street after seeing a 16 year old working for a certain charity harrassing old women on Grafton Street for money. That said, I have no problem donating to charity people who just stand there with their buckets. I'm sure they don't make as much but at least they're not harrassing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I give them a few coins and they put a sticker on my shirt that's like a forcefield for the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

when going back to work via temple bar, came across one. she came up to me, had a few cards with her, i told her i was in a hurry etc. but she then proceeded to follow me for a bit as i walked off.

usually i spot them , at the end of the street in their concern vest , but this girl looked like anybody else going through temple bar.

the worst was when they callled to my house last year, 2 guys with their forms and asked them for my bank details, took me ages to get rid of them, i told them i'd sign up online but they kept asking me to fill out my details on the forms they had with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

as for not paying 120k, what do you think you would get for less? someone who is not used to dealing with large accounts and would therefore waste more money.

You can justify it till your blue in the face. The thing is, why should even a small percentage of your donation go towards lining some rich persons pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I just say loudly "Sorry I'm gay" and walk on. Puzzles most, arouses the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Miss Ogyne

What we need is these running up Grafton street and saying "FLUCK YOU DOWLFINS, FLUCK YOU WAWLS, FLUCK YOU CHUGGARS!!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 baby fingers breen

yeh my friend and i got stopped by the Hadley Centre people n we said no then we kept meeting them along Grafton Street and we said 'we've already talked to one of you guys' thinking that was that but your man just said ' what was his name?' He was quite surprised when i remembered his name.talk about persistence. i no they must get so annoyed when everyone says no but then again they did sign up for the job and they must've known what they were going to be putting up with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

I usually just smile, say 'no' and keep walking.

They're just doing their job and it's all a bit of a game at the end of the day.

I usually just smile, say 'no' and keep walking.

They're just doing their job and it's all a bit of a game at the end of the day.

probably one of the worst games ive ever played so

probably one of the worst games ive ever played so

Let me get this straight, you've got a hot member of the opposite sex trying to lure you in for a chat and this is "bad"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Sorry, not today......smile politely and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

I usually ask them would they like to make a contribution to my monthly mortgage payment. Its classic, the look of shock on their faces, seriously though I need a contribution;)

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    I usually ask them would they like to make a contribution to my monthly mortgage payment. Its classic, the look of shock on their faces, seriously though I need a contribution;)

That reminds me of a friend of mine. He says he'd love to hear about their charity, but would they mind if he talks to them for a few minutes about Jesus first?!

That usually ends the conversation pretty quickly. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I usually say to them, "tell you what, you put something in and I will match your contribution" it's usually followed by a blank stare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

them hanley centre fcukers are so annoying they stalk you up the street then stop to be met by another one who begins to stalk you.
    i just ignore them, but them concern people what do they be smokein they seem to be whacked out on jolly joe pills or something dancing infront of you like you've just won the lotto or something, its like calm down there bud, relax for a few minutes stop getting excited over noting :D

• Advertisement

Let me get this straight, you've got a hot member of the opposite sex trying to lure you in for a chat and this is "bad"?

No its absolutely fantastic, i especially love the part where i get to wonder how the hell i know this person thats acting like my long lost best friend, nearly as much as when she looks for my bank details

Advertisement