Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tikka T3 Problem

Options
  • 26-08-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi folks was out with a friend bunny bashing tonight only for a problem to arise with his tikka to best explain the situation i made a video. It wont cock when a round has been chambered.

View My Video

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

is that live ammo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 LongRifle

elius wrote: »
    Hi folks was out with a friend bunny bashing tonight only for a problem to arise with his tikka to best explain the situation i made a video. It wont cock when a round has been chambered.

View My Video

Looks like something lodged in the chamber, probably around the shoulder area. A good cleaning of the chamber and the bore would be the first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭steelfixerking

it is like the firing pin hasn't gone back in. take out the bolt and just examine it. it must be something simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

bazza888 wrote: »
    is that live ammo?

Yes gun was pointed towards a door just seen out of shot!! Tried filming outside but couldnt get the picture was to dark!!

Lads he gave the gun a proper cleaning tried regressing the bolt infact we tried everything minus brute force etc. When the bolt is retracted the firing pin is back. No problem dry firing.. It just wont let the bolt come down to cock the gun ready for firing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

View My Video

Try using different brands of ammo first.

the extractor claw might be catching on the way in if it is damaged

Was the bolt dropped, any dents or dings on it.

Try obvious first, then RFD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

not to experienced with centerfires but could it be the ammo?

Yes gun was pointed towards a door just seen out of shot!! Tried filming outside but couldnt get the picture was to dark!!

Lads he gave the gun a proper cleaning tried regressing the bolt infact we tried everything minus brute force etc. When the bolt is retracted the firing pin is back. No problem dry firing.. It just wont let the bolt come down to cock the gun ready for firing..

To elaborate further; Form the video it looks as though the bolt will close, cock and fire on an empty chamber but will not even close fully on a chambered round? If so, this has to be a head space problem which is caused by either a case which is too long for the chamber or something lodged in the chamber preventing the case from sliding all the way to the shoulder. Have you had a look in the chamber with a torch to make sure nothing is in there? The fact that the round can be ejected properly would suggest that the extractor claw and bolt face are ok.

Try using different brands of ammo first.

the extractor claw might be catching on the way in if it is damaged

Was the bolt dropped, any dents or dings on it.

Try obvious first, then RFD

tried 3 differant type's of ammo. He god down to shoot a grey hooded grow chambered around then the sneaky bugger got up and flew of before he could fire a shot he ejected the round stuck it back in the mag. never removed the bolt . 10 mins later he went to chamber a round to shoot a rabbit only for the above to happen. He wasnt impressed at all...

LongRifle wrote: »
    To elaborate further; Form the video it looks as though the bolt will close, cock and fire on an empty chamber but will not even close fully on a chambered round? If so, this has to be a head space problem which is caused by either a case which is too long for the chamber or something lodged in the chamber preventing the case from sliding all the way to the shoulder. Have you had a look in the chamber with a torch to make sure nothing is in there? The fact that the round can be ejected properly would suggest that the extractor claw and bolt face are ok.

Correct spent an hour looking at the chamber and nothing in it. Ran the boresnake down it greased it all up and still know joy. Very odd.

Correct spent an hour looking at the chamber and nothing in it. Ran the boresnake down it greased it all up and still know joy. Very odd.

Gunsmth for health and safety reasons.

I won't recommend taking the bolt apart if you have never done it before, can be a costly affair if you lose a piece/spring/clip

Nearest gunsmith!

• Advertisement

Very odd indeed. I know you've said you've checked but I my money would be on something lodged in either the shoulder or the neck area of the chamber. If you can't find anything you'll have to let a gunsmith at it. Oh, and put me out of my misery when you do find out.;)

Very odd indeed. I know you've said you've checked but I my money would be on something lodged in either the shoulder or the neck area of the chamber. If you can't find anything you'll have to let a gunsmith at it. Oh, and put me out of my misery when you do find out.;)

On a Remington if you hold the trigger back while operating the bolt you can chamber a round without cocking it.

I think Tikka is the same, "safe backstop try this procedure"
    if the round chambers the chamber is ok and the problem is bolt related.

If not it's the latter

Gun smiths asap. As above just for safety more so strange one though.
    Thanks again people...

Gun smiths asap. As above just for safety more so strange one though.
    Thanks again people...

It might be a problem with the ejector pin. Try pushing the pin to see if it goes all the way back into the bolt face, if not then it would cause a head space problem.

It might be a problem with the ejector pin. Try pushing the pin to see if it goes all the way back into the bolt face, if not then it would cause a head space problem.

I pushed this earlier and there was movement ill try again but i think all was alright with it... Thanks again..

Sounds like the Bolt is the issue.
    Bring to Gunsmith, he'll take apart, cleam, inspect for damage and reinstall and test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Don't futz around with a 'maybe I've fixed it' solution.

You frightened me enuff with the video.

A stuck firing pin can lead to a round being set off when chambering - in the the partially open action, with dire results.

Precisely this cost a friend of mine his right eye, part of his cheekbone and his entire career in the BA.

If you can make a rifle like the Tikka, fix it yourself - if you can't, take it to somebody who can.

My $0.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Want to try my bolt?
    Will it fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭diveshark

View My Video

had identical problem with cz 452, changed the brand of ammo, problem gone.

Our club secretary found that Privi .270 would not chamber in his Tikka, nor would military surplus 5.56 in his other older Tikka. It would appear to be the thickness of the neck in both cases' cases.

VERY picky tolerances in the chamber on Tikka and SAKO, it seems.

tac

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    Don't futz around with a 'maybe I've fixed it' solution.

You frightened me enuff with the video.

A stuck firing pin can lead to a round being set off when chambering - in the the partially open action, with dire results.

Precisely this cost a friend of mine his right eye, part of his cheekbone and his entire career in the BA.

If you can make a rifle like the Tikka, fix it yourself - if you can't, take it to somebody who can.

My $0.02
    Lad the gun was well pointed away from either of us and had it gone off the round would have been through the table and out the door into a field behind the house.

Problem was fixed an over build up of carbon( Think Thats the name) in the firing pin it! He took to a dealer this morning and they had seen it happen before. He use to put a shim of grease on the pin after cleaning and over the while the carbon had stuck to the grease. He never got a key to clean the bolt properly and he's reluctant to take it apart to. But she's ready to go again. Thanks again for all your suggestion's and offer's (greenpeter)

Cheers

Problem was fixed an over build up of carbon( Think Thats the name) in the firing pin it!

Well, Sir - I'm very glad to hear it. := )

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Well, Sir - I'm very glad to hear it. := )

tac

Tac
    i'm Much impressed with your Smilie Faces!!

Elius

yes it is Carbon, Everything contains carbon, even your and me after we are burnt.

Tell yer mate to steer clear of cotton wool buds, you can get similar buds non fluffy if he wants.
    WD40 is yer only man on a Bolt (and Sold in Aldi ) : - )

http://www.absolutesci.com/shopexd.asp?id=24192

These will see his rifle out for $20

Problem was fixed an over build up of carbon( Think Thats the name) in the firing pin it!

I'm surprised to hear it had anything to do with the firing pin seeing how it cycled fine with no round in the chamber.:confused:
    Anyway, happy to hear you got it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Lad the gun was well pointed away from either of us and had it gone off the round would have been through the table and out the door into a field behind the house.

Ahhh, the magic bullet :D.
    We're looking for an instructor in safe gun handling in our club - you available?

:D

Kramer wrote: »
    Ahhh, the magic bullet :D.
    We're looking for an instructor in safe gun handling in our club - you available?

:D

Smart arse :p:p:p

Smart arse :p:p:p

I could not resist a vide to make you remember SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!

never try and load a live round into a malfunctioning firearm!
    This is where Snap caps or drill rounds are used, in case a slam fire or similar

I could not resist a vide to make you remember SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!

never try and load a live round into a malfunctioning firearm!
    This is where Snap caps or drill rounds are used, in case a slam fire or similar

Well it wasnt malfunctioning just dirty:p

No honestly lads had the gun fired the bullet would have been out the door and ended up in the field behind his house thats if it mad it out of the back garden. No one was in front of the gun only a table and door. If i didnt think it was safe i wouldnt have shot the video..

Well it wasnt malfunctioning just dirty:p

No honestly lads had the gun fired the bullet would have been out the door and ended up in the field behind his house thats if it mad it out of the back garden. No one was in front of the gun only a table and door. If i didnt think it was safe i wouldnt have shot the video..

What happened if it Slam fored and gas & or brass/shrapnel came out the ejection way?
    Gas will follow the path of least resistance.
    This Guy though he was safe!

• Advertisement

What happened if it Slam fored and gas & or brass/shrapnel came out the ejection way?

...and THAT, Sir, is exactly what I mean in my post. The .308Win cartridge case burst open before it was enclosed in the breech and the pieces of brass took his cheekbone off and made his eyeball into a ball of brass-filled mush.

He wasn't so pretty before it happened, but now gets a lot of sympathy and does a good pirate impression with his patch.

tac

[To err is human, but to AAAAARRRRGGGhhhh is to be a pirate]

Advertisement