Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frustration with 8month beagle

Options
  • 26-08-2010 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

im feeling very frustrated !! as much as i love my puppy shes so mischeivious and sooo bold she will NOT do as told and continues to pee in the house:( when shes called she wont come back!! i took her for a 40 min walk tonight we drove to this walkway and when we got there shes walked around sniff etc then gets into my car to go home and pees!!!!!

help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What training methods have you been using with her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 skyla24

as a beagle all d research online has suggested treat based teaching, praise when shes good when shes bad told no, when she goes to pee in house told no and brought outside when she pees treat and or praise given had a border collie prior to this dog and all techniques seem to work! i know each dog s different!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Beagles are very stubborn and notoriously hard to toilet train. I'd reccommend confinement for toilet training. Don't allow her free access to your house. Using a crate is one method. The idea of confinement is to allow acess to only one room till she realises this room is her home, she won't want to soil her own house, when she gets to the stage where she won't pee or soil in that room give her a bit more access, if an accident happens reduce the area she has access to again, it may take time but persist with it. Don't let her out to the toilet, take her out to a specific area where you want her to go. Take her out at the same times every day and when she goes you can use a command (eg wee-wee) and use it when she goes so she associates the word with the action, the aim is eventually she will go when you give her the command. With other training go back to complete basics and do lots of basic obedience training, just use the sit command till she gets it, then move on to lie down. She will probably never have 100% recall as a beagle will pick up a scent and follow it to the ends of the earth :rolleyes:. The idea of the basic training is that it's an easy way of asserting yourself as pack leader and once this is established you should find everything much easier. I've found clicker training excellent myself, you don't need a fancy clicker you can just make the sound with your tongue. I've found a dog whistle good as well for really getting their attention when you need to if she ignores you when told to stop doing something. When you tell her to 'leave it' or 'get off' and she complies give loads of praise (really over do it).

The main thing is to persist with any method your using untill what you want her to do clicks with her. If you think it's not working and give up to try something else it will just confuse her. Good luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

skyla24 wrote: »
    im feeling very frustrated !! as much as i love my puppy shes so mischeivious and sooo bold she will NOT do as told and continues to pee in the house:( when shes called she wont come back!! i took her for a 40 min walk tonight we drove to this walkway and when we got there shes walked around sniff etc then gets into my car to go home and pees!!!!!

help!!!

OMG ! this sounds exactly like my dog !! i know how you feel! please let me know if you find a solution to your problem, id love to hear of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I am minding a 10 month old Beagle and he is such a likkle brat hehehe,love him to bits though :)He could walk for Ireland,never seems to tire,ate my armchair,ate through wires etc (they werent plugged in).He will also pee in my house!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 skyla24

thank you adrenaline junkie thats really good advice! ill try anything at this stage, i love her to bits im jus feelin a bit frazzled! breakfast roll i feel ur pain ha ha ha ha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Typical beagle....I have always had beagles at home. Once she is food motivated it makes training very easy. Beagles really really respond well to clicker training.

Advertisement