Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ibs grrrrrrrrrrr

Options
  • 26-08-2010 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

hey this is just a question for anyone out their with ibs with any helpful tips or ideas on how to cope with it. as is verrrrrrrrrrrrry annoying.
    any advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I swear by Colpermin and peppermint tea! The tea is horrible I'm afraid but it helps me with cramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

With IBS, it's best to specify what form it is i.e. IBS-D*, IBS-C** or IBS-mixed. If somebody has IBS-D, fibre isn't what should be suggested and vice versa.

I was diagnosed with it and it was mainly IBS-D that ws my problem. It turned out to be part of an overall problem (M.E.) so when I managed my M.E. better, it helped a lot.
    Also avoiding wheat and some fizzy drinks.
    I'm on amitriptyline mainly for sleep but it helps pain of various sorts and I barely notice pains in abdomen these days (unless I am silly and have Tuc or something).
    I also think the amitriptyline may have slowed things down a bit which in my case is good.

*D=Diarrhoea
    **C=Constipation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Each individual will be differant, I try eliminate as much sugary and sweet foods, (i allow myself the odd treat) but I found alcohol (beer) , most sweets, processed meats usually seemed to be followed (sometimes for days) with my symptoms, over the last, well years its been trial and error for me, I tried a few alternative medicines after years of seeing mainstream medicine.It's hard to say if it helped, I'm inclined to think not.I tried eliminating milk and going on different varieties of soya but I feel that didnt really make a significant difference.
    Breads also have sugars so trial and error, I find porridge or ready brek doesnt affect me badly. Some fruits seemed to affect me (apples)
    Another aspect is sleep or stresses from work/life.

How long have you had symptoms? has it been diagnosed (ie by elimination) or yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

New research on gluten free diets and IBS. Basically people other than coeliacs can react to gluten.
    Gluten Causes Gastrointestinal Symptoms in Subjects Without Celiac Disease: A Double-Blind Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial.

Am J Gastroenterol. 2011 Jan 11. [Epub ahead of print]

Biesiekierski JR, Newnham ED, Irving PM, Barrett JS, Haines M, Doecke JD, Shepherd SJ, Muir JG, Gibson PR.

Monash University Department of Medicine and Gastroenterology, Box Hill Hospital, Box Hill, Victoria, Australia.

Abstract

OBJECTIVES: Despite increased prescription of a gluten-free diet for gastrointestinal symptoms in individuals who do not have celiac disease, there is minimal evidence that suggests that gluten is a trigger. The aims of this study were to determine whether gluten ingestion can induce symptoms in non-celiac individuals and to examine the mechanism.

METHODS: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled rechallenge trial was undertaken in patients with irritable bowel syndrome in whom celiac disease was excluded and who were symptomatically controlled on a gluten-free diet. Participants received either gluten or placebo in the form of two bread slices plus one muffin per day with a gluten-free diet for up to 6 weeks. Symptoms were evaluated using a visual analog scale and markers of intestinal inflammation, injury, and immune activation were monitored.

RESULTS: A total of 34 patients (aged 29-59 years, 4 men) completed the study as per protocol. Overall, 56% had human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-DQ2 and/or HLA-DQ8. Adherence to diet and supplements was very high. Of 19 patients (68%) in the gluten group, 13 reported that symptoms were not adequately controlled compared with 6 of 15 (40%) on placebo (P=0.0001; generalized estimating equation). On a visual analog scale, patients were significantly worse with gluten within 1 week for overall symptoms (P=0.047), pain (P=0.016), bloating (P=0.031), satisfaction with stool consistency (P=0.024), and tiredness (P=0.001). Anti-gliadin antibodies were not induced. There were no significant changes in fecal lactoferrin, levels of celiac antibodies, highly sensitive C-reactive protein, or intestinal permeability. There were no differences in any end point in individuals with or without DQ2/DQ8.

CONCLUSIONS: "Non-celiac gluten intolerance" may exist, but no clues to the mechanism were elucidated.

Am J Gastroenterol advance online publication, 11 January 2011; doi:10.1038/ajg.2010.487.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Merch wrote: »
    Each individual will be differant, I try eliminate as much sugary and sweet foods, (i allow myself the odd treat) but I found alcohol (beer) , most sweets, processed meats usually seemed to be followed (sometimes for days) with my symptoms, ................

Beer contains gluten ( from barley )

Have you tried going totally gluten free for ( say ) a month to see how things turn out ? ( not everyone who is allergic to gluten is a coeliac )

How to steer away from gluten contaminated foods ? Have a look at www.coeliac.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement