Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christchurch - Thomas Street

Options
  • 26-08-2010 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

got a nice apartment on the mains street very near to vicar street.

is it a safe location? i hear theres some junkies in the area, and some council flats not too far away... it's third floor and bedrooms aren't facing the street, so i hope it will be quiet enough to sleep at night...

should i have found somewhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

That part issafeenough, though you will get drunks on the street at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I love that area OP and if I were to buy a place in Dublin it would be around that area. Its got a good community vibe, some nice funky shops and its very close to town.
    I've never lived there and but my experience of it is that there are a few scobies knocking about. However they are not the worst compared to some other areas I know tbh.
    There is lots of public drunkenness in the area at weekends, Vicar street will be hopping and all that jazz. But you'd expect that anywhere that is fairly close to the city center.

All in all if you like cheap city living then I'd say you've made a good choice.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Great part of Dublin.

If i could afford to buy there, i would sell my current and move there straight away.

i am sooooooooo jealous :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I live around the corner and its a great area to live on..

In the 2 years odd I have been in my place neither I nor a room mate has ever had a problem..

TBH yea there are drunk people around, but show me an Irish street or town without the odd drunk person [Ghost estates excepted!]

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think it gets bad press because it can be very quiet at night, except for the odd junkie or drunk, whereas down onto Dame Street you will have a good number of other people that the junkies and drunks are simply mixed into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

My friend lived there for years. Yeah, she was mugged by a junkie and there were break-ins in the block, but the real horror show was walking down the stairs in the apartment block to bump into 2 girls no more than 15 cooking up on the stairs, delighted they'd managed to get someone to let them into the block. People were always trying to get in there tbh.

I've noticed an increase in the junkie population around the area, but I can't say that it's necessarily dangerous. As long as you keep aware, don't cut through the back of Vicar St in the dark and avoid the shops with the fruit stand near the door (Spar?) it should be fine. It's not amazing, I don't like the area, but in terms of facilities it's improved quite a bit with new cafes and so on around the college. It's extremely convenient tho.

• Personally I think it's a horrible location. One of the last places I'd ever choose to live in Dublin. It's very charming and all, but crawling with junkies. Getting bumped into (physically), hassled for change constantly, watching out for needles and worrying about who's trying to get into the building behind me isn't my idea of a good quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Having worked in the area for several years, I really, really, really would not move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Icarian wrote: »
    got a nice apartment on the mains street very near to vicar street.

is it a safe location? i hear theres some junkies in the area, and some council flats not too far away... it's third floor and bedrooms aren't facing the street, so i hope it will be quiet enough to sleep at night...

should i have found somewhere else?

Unless you have the "right" accent and appearance, I'd avoid the local pubs if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

it's too late for me to move :( me and by brother have already put up the deposit and 1 months rent, and signed a 1 year lease

i'm a little worried, i kind of stand out, being from wexford, being a guy with long hair, not a tracksuit wearer and stuff, though i don't have fancy clothes or anything worth stealing

it's not directly opposite vicar st, it's down the road a little bit, but i can see it from my living room, if i look out the corner to the right.

i just want a place i can study peacefully, and sleep at night, with a short walk to college tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Just keep an eye out on the street OP, and keep yourself to yourself and you'll be fine, more than likely. No need to be too afraid. And be concious of security in the flat with locking up and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Jeez whats with all the negativity! I'm from this area, still live there only 2 mins walk from Thomas St and tbh...yeah there are alot of junkies and knackers walking around the place but I've had no trouble with them ever. Just dont look at them, keep walking and sorta keep an eye out...like alot of places in the city centre really.

At night you'll get people coming out of pubs singing but that's alright :) And dont worry just because you've long hair! I had too, still the same...no problems sure I go around now wearing cons, combats and non-brand name t-shirts, listening to death metal:p

Enjoy your stay, dont let a few nay-sayers put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

tis a kip, but alas so is most of innercity dublin.
    keep yer wits about ya. you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭richiebceltic

I lived there for a year or so. If you keep yourself to yourself you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

it's too late for me to move :( me and by brother have already put up the deposit and 1 months rent, and signed a 1 year lease

i'm a little worried, i kind of stand out, being from wexford, being a guy with long hair, not a tracksuit wearer and stuff, though i don't have fancy clothes or anything worth stealing

it's not directly opposite vicar st, it's down the road a little bit, but i can see it from my living room, if i look out the corner to the right.

i just want a place i can study peacefully, and sleep at night, with a short walk to college tbh

Ah ffs, it sounds like you're taking the pi$$. You won't stand out cos you don't wear tracksuits... I live beside the spar there and have never had a problem. It's a great location, you'll love it. Everything's on your doorstep, and no not everyone is out to get you and no not every 2nd person on the street is shooting up - despite what all the scaremongers might say.

Here's a similar thread posted recently in the Dublin forum..

Don't stress OP, you'll be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Jaysus man, if culchies with long hair were reason enough to get beaten up Dublin would be a warzone!

The area is a bit dodge but absoutlely fine for two sturdy country gentlemen like yourself and your brother. Besides, Dame Street and the rest of Dublin is 2 minutes away so it's not like you are stuck there - in that regard the location is great. Just take it easy in local pubs (i.e. avoid them), don't give any back-chat to undesirables and you'll have a ball.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

All accomodation is a trade off.

What is most important to you?

If you want quiet and safety the suburbs are a better choice, but lack the proximinity to the city centre and can be somewhat lacking in nightlife. If you want a nice area you have to pay more or else accept a lesser standard of accomodation.

Ultimately if you are not sure about moving there (although it seems you've already signed the lease so you may just want reassurance) then it might help to write out what factors are important to you and in what order e.g.

1. Central Location
    2. Price
    3. Nice place
    4. Safety
    5. Night life
    etc

Advertisement