Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noisy neighbours

Options
  • 26-08-2010 6:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

hey guys

just need advise on something. me and my boyfriend are currently renting a flat, in this complex there is 2 flats. the second flat is above ours and a couple live in it. me and my partner are working professionals and we are both 25. they are young, and basically its like kid playing house! we have had conversations with them over nothing so they are nice to talk to but they are rough around the edges so i get the feeling if i confront them over anything they will jump down my throat!

the walls are thin, we can hear them fight and the way she screams at him is vicious and violent. i have a few problems, he has made local friends which hang around outside our shared front door, they dont give me hassle when i approach but i am ashamed to bring anyone up to my house as it looks like the local hang out spot for a dodgy crowd!!! another thing he blares his music all the time so its hard to watch tv or relax, pity they dont put it on when they are rowing!!!! the friends stay all day and all i can hear at night is running up and down the stairs, loud talking oh and a smell of cigarette smoke in our share hall.

and to take the biscuit last night(wed) they had a party that involved loud dance music on repeat, karaoke with girls who couldnt sing, loud talking, the strongest of common Dublin accents that goes through your head. im a dub myself nothing against the accents but the strong one at 3am in the morning is another story!!! i went to bed at ten and woke up at 12 to the noise. i work at 6am monday to friday and they are aware of this as i brought it up in conversation a few times on purpose. i have nothing against people like they had a party on saturday which i wasnt bothered about at all as it was the weekend!!! the party went on til 3am, didnt want to say anything with everyone on drink. the way they go on is selfish and aggregant!!! like they ran up and down the stairs screaming and shouting then i heard one of the tenants go sssshhhhh you might wake them! how considerate of them!!!

i am sitting in work with 1 hour sleep and im ready to pop!!! it just seems that they have the run of the place, and we feel invaded with the noise outside. we are private people who want our home to be a home and this childishness outside our flat is to much, dont say students are bad until you spend a week in my flat!!!!

i want to confront them but afraid of them bitting my head of and making things worse, they seem like they will make more noise to spite me!

i can mention it to the landlord as they are in breach of their contract of desturbing the piece by themselves and also with their guests! but this can get worse aswell as since we are the only people in the flat it wont be annonomous and again i could face the head getting eaten of me!

i dont feel comfortable in my home and i am thinking of moving but my lease is for a yr and im only there 4 months!!!

can someone advise? thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Fight fire with fire.

Have a few noisy sessions when thy're asleep (as they must sometimes) and when they come complaining, as they will, as you seem to be well outnumbered, invite them in for a cup of tea, keep your voice low, and discuss the situation.

If that doesn't work, well just cut your losses and walk. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Unfortunatly the easiest, quickest, cleanest solution is to leave yourself.

However, you shouldn't have to. Have a word with them. Tell them it's not on. Ring the Guards and make a formal complaint. Ring their landlord and make a formal complaint. Ring your landlord explaining exactly what you've said above and explain unless the matters (all of them) are resolved you're moving out.

You've let them have the run of the place, if you don't want to leave, you'd better face up to the problems, and take swift STRONG action.

Pussyfooting around has got you where? ...exactly: nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

PS: you've picked the wrong forum to post this thread. Property or some such would be better suited. After 9 expect a lot of negative comments telling you to cop on, that people can hang around doorways etc. if they like; its a free world, blah blah.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Only 2 options really.
    1. Move
    2. Try to reason with them and have them change their behaviour.

As for option 2, just based on your post they do not really sound like people you can have a nice little chat with,if the subject of that chat is their anti-social behaviour.

So moving is probably the easiest and fastest solution. All you have to hope for is that you then dont end up again next to some inconsiderate, brainless twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

have you tried actually talking to them?

They might not realise they're being anti-social and actually be quite embarrassed about it. If you don't ask, you don't get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

A possible solution:

You say you work at 6am Monday to Friday and have had parties going on next door until 3am and beyond.

I'm sure we've all partied until 3am in the morning and know that the next morning there be a hangover. Therefore, when you leave for work you blare your radio as high as it will go until you come home making it impossible for them to sleep off their hangover.

If and when they approach you to complain about the noise just ask them what time they went to bed at and if they decide to party again until 3am they can expecvt the same thing the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

was onto my boyfriend this morning to talk, he is the voice of reason. orourkeda he said he was tempted to do what you suggest, i finish at 2pm so i will be on my own to face them so its only a good idea if both of us are there. i understand there are only two options move or try to talk with them. we are going to speak with them later, looking at past forums who had this problem who contacted the landlord and was told to sort it out themselves first

we share the same landlord who you can confront. we are going to speak wit the couple later and see where that gets us. if the party thing happens again after this talk then i will raise it with the landlord. give them the benefit of the doubt?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

http://www.prtb.ie/act.htm

This link will let you know the correct procedure for dealing with this form of behaviour.

Fighting fire with fire may not be the most appropriate strategy here as I'm sure they could escalate it to a totally different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

Trashbat wrote: »
    have you tried actually talking to them?

They might not realise they're being anti-social and actually be quite embarrassed about it. If you don't ask, you don't get.

try this ! just call up to them and ask them to keep it down. you cant really try anymore after that as you have confronted them then. if that fails id probably move myself. sleep deprivation is the worst thing ever

might try leaving for work at 8am and putting something like "welcome to the jungle on full whack, and on loop" that'll learn um :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

jjjade wrote: »
    but i am ashamed to bring anyone up to my house as it looks like the local hang out spot for a dodgy crowd!!!
    the strongest of common Dublin accents that goes through your head.

I recommend a reputable and reassuringly expensive boarding school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

At least you can talk to them, I got seagulls outside my window every morn at around 5am screeching and waking me up, it's driving me nuts, I'm thinking about getting a pellet gun or some baking soda :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Earplugs mothertrucker

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Sounds like a great party, get the Jaeger bombs in and rave til work time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

hey guys

just need advise on something. me and my boyfriend are currently renting a flat, in this complex there is 2 flats. the second flat is above ours and a couple live in it. me and my partner are working professionals and we are both 25. they are young, and basically its like kid playing house! we have had conversations with them over nothing so they are nice to talk to but they are rough around the edges so i get the feeling if i confront them over anything they will jump down my throat!

the walls are thin, we can hear them fight and the way she screams at him is vicious and violent. i have a few problems, he has made local friends which hang around outside our shared front door, they dont give me hassle when i approach but i am ashamed to bring anyone up to my house as it looks like the local hang out spot for a dodgy crowd!!! another thing he blares his music all the time so its hard to watch tv or relax, pity they dont put it on when they are rowing!!!! the friends stay all day and all i can hear at night is running up and down the stairs, loud talking oh and a smell of cigarette smoke in our share hall.

and to take the biscuit last night(wed) they had a party that involved loud dance music on repeat, karaoke with girls who couldnt sing, loud talking, the strongest of common Dublin accents that goes through your head. im a dub myself nothing against the accents but the strong one at 3am in the morning is another story!!! i went to bed at ten and woke up at 12 to the noise. i work at 6am monday to friday and they are aware of this as i brought it up in conversation a few times on purpose. i have nothing against people like they had a party on saturday which i wasnt bothered about at all as it was the weekend!!! the party went on til 3am, didnt want to say anything with everyone on drink. the way they go on is selfish and aggregant!!! like they ran up and down the stairs screaming and shouting then i heard one of the tenants go sssshhhhh you might wake them! how considerate of them!!!

i am sitting in work with 1 hour sleep and im ready to pop!!! it just seems that they have the run of the place, and we feel invaded with the noise outside. we are private people who want our home to be a home and this childishness outside our flat is to much, dont say students are bad until you spend a week in my flat!!!!

i want to confront them but afraid of them bitting my head of and making things worse, they seem like they will make more noise to spite me!

i can mention it to the landlord as they are in breach of their contract of desturbing the piece by themselves and also with their guests! but this can get worse aswell as since we are the only people in the flat it wont be annonomous and again i could face the head getting eaten of me!

i dont feel comfortable in my home and i am thinking of moving but my lease is for a yr and im only there 4 months!!!

can someone advise? thank you

I would bet anything they don't realise to what extent noise filters down. We moved into an apartment just over a year ago and would have people over during the week to hang out / watch tv, drinks at the weekend etc. Then new people moved in under us and one night one of our mates was telling some story to which we all burst out laughing and we heard a *bump bump bump* on the floor. That happened a couple times throughout the next two weeks until they came up and said it to us - then we realised the place wasn't as soundproof as we thought, and obv the original people just never bothered saying anything, prob cuz they were moving out anyway.

Anyway, to cut a long story short - because the people below us when we moved in never complained & were always friendly, we assumed our apartment was a quiet one and you couldn't hear anything outside of it. Turns out it's not, so obv now we're aware of it and haven't had any *bump bump bumps* in 9 or 10 months.

Approach it in a friendly manner and just let them know that noise filters a lot etc. But say it with a smile on your face and maybe even just say it next time you bump into them rather than having to do the awkward door knock!

ear plugs!!! i would love to but unfortuntly i need to hear my alarm :(

the seagull thing oh god love you !!!!! its very funny to read but i would say its a living nightmare!!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

the seagull thing oh god love you !!!!! its very funny to read but i would say its a living nightmare!!!! :(

Believe me it's no joke tho I will try the earplug solution myself I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

kfallon wrote: »
    At least you can talk to them, I got seagulls outside my window every morn at around 5am screeching and waking me up, it's driving me nuts, I'm thinking about getting a pellet gun or some baking soda :p

That was like the time a few birds took up nesting in a damaged air vent outside my bedroom. I could hear their claws on the plastic and the screeching of the chicks from about 6 in the morning. As soon as the chicks flew the coop, vent was repaired and normal sleep was resumed.

yeah that happened in my mams house they were fighting in the nest all the time!!! apparently its there nature to come back and nest ever year!!! so i would suggest that blocking it up..... my dad is a ventalator and sealled the thing with this foam stuff that goes rock hard. they were pecking at it for weeks and gave up!!!

kfallon wrote: »
    Believe me it's no joke tho I will try the earplug solution myself I think!

im sorry excuse my ignorants, i do feel for you!!! im so tired :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

like they ran up and down the stairs screaming and shouting then i heard one of the tenants go sssshhhhh you might wake them! how considerate of them!!!
    Because of this one segment I'm thinking they don't know how badly the soundproofing is. That, and the way you haven't said anything to them about it means that they probably think you don't hear the music , because I'm sure "you would have said something by now if you could".
    ear plugs!!! i would love to but unfortuntly i need to hear my alarm :(
    There are alarms for the hard of hearing that include a vibrating pad that you put under your pillow that vibrates when the alarm goes off. There's a place in Dublin that sells them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement