Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Cert

Options
  • 26-08-2010 8:53am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

have been clearing out doc's and realised I don't have an electrical cert for an extension built about 3 years ago.
    It was a direct labour build and I got an electrician to install a new fuse board but some where after finishing he never tested the system and supplied a cert.

I know :o

so, what to do now.
    Can another electrician test my house and supply a cert ?
    Where do I get a list of certified electrians that can do this for me
    whats it going to cost ?

thanks

k

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Installing Contractor Not Available To Certify A New Installation

RECI Rule 14 states that the registered contractor may not certify new installations not constructed by him/her without specific authority by RECI. However, sometimes the contractor who installed the electrical installation in a building is not available to certify the installation or the consumer may be unable to obtain a completion certificate. In such cases the consumer then cannot obtain electricity supply to the new installation.

In these circumstances if the consumer wishes to appoint an alternative electrical contractor to test and certify the installation, RECI may authorise the alternative contractor to do so. The consumer should complete a RECI F002 form and submit to RECI. This form is available online at the bottom of this page. On receipt of this form, the installing contractor is written to advising him of the situation and asking him to respond. If the installing contractor will not issue the completion certificate then RECI, having considered all the circumstances and made whatever investigations it deems appropriate, may authorise an alternative contractor to test and certify the installation. The installation should also be inspected by RECI and if the inspector is satisfied that the installation complies with the Wiring Rules then the contractor, if he is registered, can issue a completion certificate or alternatively if it is a non registered contractor the inspector will provide a certificate for the contractor to complete and sign.

In some cases the installing registered contractor will issue the completion certificate to his customer, the building contractor. However, sometimes the building contractor withholds the completion certificate in order to assist his commercial negotiations with the consumer. The agreement between the ESB and RECI with regard to completion certificates was put in place in the interests of safety and standards and it was not intended that the completion certificate should be used for commercial purposes. It is therefore RECI's policy in these cases to authorise an alternative electrical contractor to test and certify the installation. However in this case the installing registered contractor has not breached any RECI rule.

This form is to be completed in cases where the Installing Contractor is not available to certify a new installation constructed by him.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Thanks Bertie1,

will fill out that form so and see what happens.

any idea on costs of a new contractor to test & certify this ?

Thanks

K

You will have to pay the contractor ( there is 3 hours work in testing an installation properly especially one they did not wire themselves, + any remedial works deemed necessary ) + you will have to pay RECi.

so ballpark ???

K

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

bertie1 wrote: »
    You will have to pay the contractor ( there is 3 hours work in testing an installation properly especially one they did not wire themselves, + any remedial works deemed necessary ) + you will have to pay RECi.

I'd say there'd be more than 3 hours work to fully test a house.!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Do a full test & complete the cert + pay reci for a test . Be present while the Reci inspector goes over everything again Euro 1000.00
    Providing there are no faults found & nothing has to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

bertie1 wrote: »
    Do a full test & complete the cert + pay reci for a test . Be present while the Reci inspector goes over everything again Euro 1000.00
    Providing there are no faults found & nothing has to be done
    I think that might be a bit OTT. The works involved in the extension may well have costs less than that. It's only a house extension after all. Perhaps the OP can give an indication as to what was involved (electrical wise) in the extension?

cast_iron wrote: »
    I think that might be a bit OTT. The works involved in the extension may well have costs less than that. It's only a house extension after all. Perhaps the OP can give an indication as to what was involved (electrical wise) in the extension?

I have previously been involved in having to certify a house done by another contractor . The extension means that the whole house has to be tested as it will effect the load on the fuseboard , tails, bonding etc. Once there is more than one circuit added to the board a sub system cert will not do the whole installation needs to be tested . There is a min of 3 hours to test any house then fill up all the additional paperwork for RECI. RECI have to be paid cira 300.00 to come out & then go over everything again including the test record sheets to see that my readings correspond with those taken by the RECI inspector.

Thats another 3 hours wasted with the inspector . .

See how much change you have now out of Euro 1000.oo provided no remedial works need to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Holy sh1t bertie1 , how do you sleep at night with those prices:mad: shame on you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I had a sunroom added to the house about 5 years ago it has 6 double sockets and 2 lighting circuits should I have got a completion cert for this.

Also the house was built in 97 and I never got a cert. There must have been one as the house was connected.

Should I have been given the original completion cert.

Is there any problem not having a completion cert ?

• Advertisement

I am mainly concerned with insurance.
    That if I had a fire - for whatever reason - the insurance company would look for a cert. If I don't have one - that could void the insurance.

not sure if this is the case but just want one.

Yes Dave - 300/400/500 for 3 hours work !! - and another 300/400 for Reci to come check the work the "reci certified" person did just before.

I wonder - I really do.

k

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

karltimber wrote: »
    That if I had a fire - for whatever reason - the insurance company would look for a cert. If I don't have one - that could void the insurance.

Yes Dave - 300/400/500 for 3 hours work !! - and another 300/400 for Reci to come check the work the "reci certified" person did just before.

I wonder - I really do.

k

Surely you would have had to submit the original cert to the ESB for them to connect your electricity, if so get on to them first and ask for a copy, it appears to be the cheapest option at the moment, so I would give it a shot!

HI Buttons,

Yes - I have the original - first section of a cert when it was installed first.

But when I got this lad to do the work, I am not sure if it went through the company the cert came from or if it was by himself but using the company's cert book.

Doubt either if he even works at that company any more.

will look for the cert shortly and see what it says.

Thx

K

Hi,

have been clearing out doc's and realised I don't have an electrical cert for an extension built about 3 years ago.
    It was a direct labour build and I got an electrician to install a new fuse board but some where after finishing he never tested the system and supplied a cert.

I know :o

so, what to do now.
    Can another electrician test my house and supply a cert ?
    Where do I get a list of certified electrians that can do this for me
    whats it going to cost ?

thanks

k

You got the guy doing the extension to change the fuse board as well as do the extension.
    The whole house has to be tested.
    The contractor that tests it has to be present when the RECI inspector comes to do the final test as another contractor can test but not sign off on anybody elses work . That 3-4 hours for the origional test , 3- 4 hours with the RECi inspector , the associated paper work and the paper work that has to be filled up not to mind the numberous phone calls with RECI to arrange same. ( they will contact the other contractor in writing to let hm know they are going out to the job this also takes time as he has a right to reply before anybody goes at it) Travel time etc . In total I estimate what ever contractor you get , there is a min in total of 12 hours . This cannot all be done on the same day. There is about 3 half days messing around.
    It is not as straight forward as you appear to think. . You asked for a ball park thats it if it is to be done properly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

I wonder - I really do.

k
    aso the periodic cert comes from Health & Safety at Work Act 2007 (S.I. 299)it is a requirement under the electrical section.

as far as i am aware you only have to get a periodic cert completed for insurance purposes and they generally only ask for that if you have something non-standard in the build that you have made them aware of i.e. a thatched roof ao another flammable material that is not used during the normal course of building works in this country. Also there are 2 outfits that have members that can perform this function....RECI & ECSSA & both are answerable to the CER. Both have websites with their members details listed & i am sure that the scare tactics that been shamefully used on you in this forum would hopefully not deter you from employing another member of either of these groups as not everyone is out to extract the max. from people without doing a decent job. electricians have to sleep at night too!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

seaniefr wrote: »
    aso the periodic cert comes from Health & Safety at Work Act 2007 (S.I. 299)it is a requirement under the electrical section.

as far as i am aware you only have to get a periodic cert completed for insurance purposes and they generally only ask for that if you have something non-standard in the build that you have made them aware of i.e. a thatched roof ao another flammable material that is not used during the normal course of building works in this country. Also there are 2 outfits that have members that can perform this function....RECI & ECSSA & both are answerable to the CER. Both have websites with their members details listed & i am sure that the scare tactics that been shamefully used on you in this forum would hopefully not deter you from employing another member of either of these groups as not everyone is out to extract the max. from people without doing a decent job. electricians have to sleep at night too!
    S.I. 299 i.e. Health & Safety at Work Act 2007 looks for a periodic certificate of inspection in the electrical section. Will add the wording when i have a look through it.

Advertisement