Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photovision Coverpage

• 26-08-2010 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Is it just me of does anyone else think the PP on this young ladys face is just awful. Her skin looks totally fake. I got it in snail mail about a month ago and have to say it looks even worse in print.

Is this what the industry as a whole is pushing as standard face retouch?

Dublin-1-Web.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's a bit terrifying, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

It kinda reminds me of a program I saw on TV about men who pay alot of money for life like dolls...freaky... :p

But seriously, this was the best that they could do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

is there any flip side to this trend of photoshopping faces, like young CEOs asking for wrinkles to look like they have more experience? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

she has a nice mouth all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Seen worse, and it's hardly anything new. Air-brushing has been around for donkey's years. It's funny that nobody likes this type of processing, but yet they continue to push it, thinking 'perfection = great photo' - and they just end up making it look almost like CGI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

K_user wrote: »
    It kinda reminds me of a program I saw on TV about men who pay alot of money for life like dolls...freaky... :p

Yea remember that - very freaky...

She also has that blank "I'm doing a poo" face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

she has a nice mouth all the same

But, is it actually her mouth??? It's probably been enhanced too.

You would probably walk by this girl in the street and not notice her from that pict.

her upper lip definitely looks altered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

All the glossy magazines are full of this albeit to a much higher standard, it wont be long till you get the small text in the corner similar to the mascara ads "this picture doesnt even look like the model anymore" along with "styled with lash inserts and enhanced in post production"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

K_user wrote: »

On a tangentially related note, I saw this a while back and thought it was great ...

Lars and the Real Girl.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805564/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Holy crap!

No matter how often I see that sort of thing, it still amazes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

All the glossy magazines are full of this albeit to a much higher standard, it wont be long till you get the small text in the corner similar to the mascara ads "this picture doesnt even look like the model anymore" along with "styled with lash inserts and enhanced in post production"
    Yes, yes, I'm pretty sure we all know it's in every form of print out there, but what I think is more worrying is the quality - For a professional photographic trade show, one would assume the quality would be an exemplary image, showing off the best the show has to offer. Unless it is doing that. I really hope that's not what it's doing.

On a tangentially related note, I saw this a while back and thought it was great ...

Lars and the Real Girl.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805564/

That is a good movie. There are people out there who like the 'plastic' look on their centre-folds out there.

But, these techniques should never be used to showcase photography. It's like those CGI flicks that try to make the characters as human-like as possible, yet never quite get it right. Why don't they just use real actors!? Animation should be OTT and real should ... well, real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Yes, yes, I'm pretty sure we all know it's in every form of print out there, but what I think is more worrying is the quality - For a professional photographic trade show, one would assume the quality would be an exemplary image, showing off the best the show has to offer. Unless it is doing that. I really hope that's not what it's doing.

I seem to recall my wife recently pointing out that some TV ad had one of those foot notes that the image had been adjusted! Can't recall what the product was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Cheryl Cole's L'Oreal shampoo ad has a small print disclaimer saying that she has hair extensions, which means that the hair that we're seeing is unnatural and L'Oreal can't take credit for the way it looks.

Advertisement