Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inappropriately high speed limits

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

It is not Inappropriately high speed, It is Inappropriately reckless driver decision making and poor control and knowledge of the limits of their vehicles and the road conditions involved. No Matter what is the speed limits is in place these reckless drivers will continue to drive the way they want to.

We have way too many 60kph on long straight wide stretches of road leading into Towns and villages where very little accidents happen. You give over zealous people the chance to put these all over the place. Do you want to punish responsible drivers? My answer is Yes, It is always the responsible drivers who are been punished.
    Do not punish responsible drivers because the reckless drivers who do not care nor take responsibility for their own, their passengers and their road users safety.
    There is a law currently in place to punish these reckless drivers. It is call dangerous Driving, but it is not enforced. How many drivers are punish with dangerous driving in the Courts after the accidents. The answer is very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

ongarboy wrote: »
    interesting debate here about putting speed restriction signs up at dangerous bends

Not restriction signs as such. Just information signs as to the optimal speed, in normal conditions, to take the bend safely. Drivers will then know based on the suggested speed what degree of corner awaits them. They would not be enforceable speed limits. The driver would still be 100% responsible for how he then decided to take the corner and he would have to factor in road conditions as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Steviemak wrote: »
    I drove extensively in New Zealand and practically every bend has a sign stating the appropriate speed at which to take it. It can be done. Plus all the Cats eyes were maintained.

What harm would it do? None, I say, and it may even save lives.

New+Zealand+Trip+088.jpg
    Really like it. Yeah, I know the 'suggested speed' will be inappropriate for some vehicles/conditions, and stupid drivers will continue to be stupid. The point is that it can give a clear, consistent indication of the severity of the hazard ahead.

It can't be worse than our current system, where the warning signs/road markings can be any one/combination of:
    • Caution
    • Extreme Caution
    • Severe bends ahead
    • Slow
    • Very Slow
    • Slower
    • Dead Slow
    • Get out and push
    Chosen apparently at random depending on the local council's penchant for hyperbole.

you forgot "go mall" ;)

Advertisement