Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets running! がんばります!

Options
  • 26-08-2010 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

First ever race start of November. Nothing special. 10k. Lets running!

4k@12k/hr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck with the log. Where in Japan are you? I lived in Osaka in a different life and travelled all over the country, loved it there. Must be hot and humid running over there this time of year too. I used to keep bottles of o-cha in the freezer and leave them on the counter to thaw for a reward when I got back in from a run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ganbatte! Welcome to the logs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Welcome to the training logs. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Cheers folks. It's pleasant enough today. 32C and about 66% humidity. Pleasant might be a bit of a stretch but it's a hell of a lot more bearable than it has been!

shotgunmcos, I'm a five hour bus journey from Osaka. Living out in the 山陰地方田舎 (San-in inaka). It's beautiful out here. Few of my mates have been telling me about all the amazing places they've ran around so I thought I should check it out. That's a good idea with the o-cha! :)

Going to try for 5k down lakeside this evening. Unfortunately not able to wait 'til after sunset when it might be a bit cooler. Not sure how the heat will affect me. Fingers crossed!

Yesterday evening was bloody tough going. Aim was to complete a 5k route down by the lake. Met up with a mate of mine who got into this dastardly running business a few months back and has generously volunteered to be my tormentor as I prepare. From the very start I knew it was going to be a challenge. I don't know if we went out too quickly, if the heat affected me adversely or my legs were just heavy from the previous day but sweet Jesus... I gave up the ghost at 4k. Seems like that's all I'm able for at the moment. To be honest I was pretty pissed off with how much of a slog it was. Going to direct that anger into my running and am looking forward to completing that 5k route real soon! Such a beautiful spot for a run, I wan't to be able to enjoy it!

My legs were fcuked when I finished up yesterday evening and I was expecting to be in a world of pain this morning. Strangely I feel pretty good. I can feel it it alright but I'm not stiff or sore. Is this normal? I'm worried I'm going to get hit with a backlog of pain all at once! lol Also, my mate said I should work out a schedule were I mix things up. To avoid plodding along the same distance at the same speed all the time and to work in rest days. I don't think I have a very good base yet to be changing things up and I'm not sure how really. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement

Made today a rest day as per mates advice. Didnt want to do nothing for fear of my legs seizing up. They were definitely tightening as the day progressed. Live in a an apartment block of seven stories so ran up and down five times. Just short of 100 steps. Didnt take much time and even though I wasnt exactly killing myself boy could I feel it! Im not sure if this kind of exercise is helpful but its definitely exercise. Good or bad? Thoughts?

So after Saturday I decided that running stairs does not make a rest day. They are a killer :D Sunday was nine hours out and about in mid 30s heat and a work do that night. Managed to stick to my newly-started non-drinking ways though did take a certain amount of flack for it. All in good fun I think. Monday was my only day off for the last week and a bit and the only one for almost another fortnight. Spent the day relaxing and out and about with the missus. Today was back to work and I felt spectacularly crap throughout. Maybe it was the getting back to exercise catching up with me. Just felt terribly wrecked.

Before heading to gym this evening I decided I wanted to just complete 5k without stopping. Sole goal. Dropped the pace down to 10k/hr and kept that up pretty comfortably for 25 minutes before popping up to 12k/hr for the final five minutes. Feel a hell of a lot better now than I did earlier and am pleased to know that I can actually complete 5k now, albeit at a very slow pace. Small steps!

Tomorrow is a rest day and then Thursday evening Ill tackle the 5k lake route with my mate again. Might ask him to slow it down a bit so I can finish it. Although maybe having him make me really work for my supper once a week is a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds like a fab place to run. Very jealous!
    Definitely a bit of variety is good for you, but I'm not so certain that trudging up and down 7 flights of stairs repeatedly will do you any great favours. Certainly using the stairs instead of the lift/elevator will improve your cardio fitness, just don't over-do it!

Running is like everything else; it take a little practice, so slowing down and going the distance is definitely the correct approach, particularly given the heat. Your friend's advice is sound. Mix it up a little. Run slower some days and try to push the distance a little further. Other days, keep up the intensity, but keep the distance around the same. Stay very well hydrated in that heat!

Yeah, I have no idea about the merits or not about going up and down stairs. All I know is that it knackered me. If it's a bad idea I'll knock it on the head. Feel pretty good today. Probably won't do anything other than stretch later. I am severely lacking in flexibility these days, although to be honest even when I was fit I was never particularly flexible.

Probably a stupid question but do you carry water with you when out and about? A bottle, or how do you manage it?

Personally I used to carry a water bottle for anything over 13 miles. Anything under that amount I wouldn't have bothered, but that's specific to Irish climates.

When I was running in Spain last year (32'C+) I would stop every 3 miles for a bottle of water (lots of shops around), but this year (32'C-37'C) I largely didn't bother (10k training runs) but was very dehydrated after each run. So it really depends on the climate and your specific needs. If the distance is 5k, then you really shouldn't need to take on any water during the run, regardless of the temperature (unless it hits extremes!). If you run around the lake frequently, might be an idea to find a location where you can stash a bottle, so when you get to multiple loops (and you will!) you can grab a drink if needed.

• Advertisement

Cheers, reckoned I wasn’t going to become delusional from dehydration on 5k runs alright! To be honest if the heat is the same tomorrow I’m going to go the gym instead. I’ve spent a bit too much time out and about in the heat over the last few days and am not keen on pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Solid advice on the hydrating. I am basically never without a water bottle at the moment.

I'm in a similar place to you, starting running in a hot climate. I can usually get out after sundown as it sets at 6.30pm here but it is still 25 degrees and very humid even without the sun.

There is one possible tip which has worked for me so far. If you have a beach or a pool handy for you, get out for a dip as much as possible on the days directly after your runs.

I don't really swim too hard that much in terms of testing myself physically but I will stretch in the water and swim about. I found it gets the circulation going and goes a huge way to negating the effects of the previous evenings run. It is also a very pleasant way to spend 20 minutes in the morning before breakfast and work.

Proper running clothing is much more important than at home. I preffered normal t shirts in Ireland but after wearing them here a few times, I bought some good dri-fit t shirts and shorts and it made a big difference to me.

5k at 10k/hr.

That was a nightmare. I don’t know how to explain it. Ugly. After comfortably doing the 5k the day before I was not expecting that. Plan for this evening was to stretch out towards the 6k mark. Failure on that front. Felt like I was running on a full stomach which certainly was not the case. Going to go back tomorrow and do it again. Has to be better.

Tristram wrote: »
    5k at 10k/hr.

That was a nightmare. I don’t know how to explain it. Ugly. After comfortably doing the 5k the day before I was not expecting that. Plan for this evening was to stretch out towards the 6k mark. Failure on that front. Felt like I was running on a full stomach which certainly was not the case. Going to go back tomorrow and do it again. Has to be better.

Don't get down. It may have felt like a nightmare but it would have been beneficial. These runs early in a traiing schedule can feel easy one day and then like the hardest thing in the world the next day.

We're in similar enough positions in terms of training level and running conditions so I think I'll be following your log plenty!

Might not be the best idea to head out again tomorrow, do the same run and expect a different outcome. It's important to rest between run days. As per myflipflops's suggestions, could you swim, or cycle instead then have a go the following day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I don't know if you've been living and running there long - but it's not the heat alone that's the problem. Humidity will drain you - and it's subtle ... you won't really notice the effect. Problem is that in those conditions sweat does not evaporate so you loose the cooling effect (science), and I think you have to work harder to get enough oxygen (my feeling). I finished two races this year in conditions like you've described and the following day felt like I had gone back to heavy smoking !

66% humidity combined with a medium/medium-to-hard session will leave you drained. As Mr Clown suggest you'll benefit from taking it a bit easy and ramping up the training rather than trying to force it. We all have those runs - it will come.

BTW, even at 5k I would try to have water available ...but that's me. Good luck.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Problem is that in those conditions sweat does not evaporate so you loose the cooling effect (science), and I think you have to work harder to get enough oxygen (my feeling). .

I've noticed these 2 things alright although it's only now that you point out the point about sweat not evaporating that I understand the issue I've had. I was drenched in sweat after my run on Tuesday despite not working very hard. Obviously it all just accumulates and does not evaporate.

Don't get down. It may have felt like a nightmare but it would have been beneficial. These runs early in a traiing schedule can feel easy one day and then like the hardest thing in the world the next day.

We're in similar enough positions in terms of training level and running conditions so I think I'll be following your log plenty!

Yeah, there’s going to be down days alright! To be honest yesterday has made me even more determined to work at this. Looking forward to the day when I can do these kind jaunts no bother.
    Might not be the best idea to head out again tomorrow, do the same run and expect a different outcome. It's important to rest between run days. As per myflipflops's suggestions, could you swim, or cycle instead then have a go the following day?

Heeded your advice this evening. Spent 45 minutes on a bike at gym earlier. Wasn’t pushing it too hard. Just enough so I knew I was working.
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    I don't know if you've been living and running there long - but it's not the heat alone that's the problem. Humidity will drain you - and it's subtle ... you won't really notice the effect. Problem is that in those conditions sweat does not evaporate so you loose the cooling effect (science), and I think you have to work harder to get enough oxygen (my feeling). I finished two races this year in conditions like you've described and the following day felt like I had gone back to heavy smoking !

66% humidity combined with a medium/medium-to-hard session will leave you drained. As Mr Clown suggest you'll benefit from taking it a bit easy and ramping up the training rather than trying to force it. We all have those runs - it will come.

BTW, even at 5k I would try to have water available ...but that's me. Good luck.

Been here a year and a half now but haven‘t been running during summer. Humidity is a killer even when you’re doing sweet feck all so I can imagine it must make a hell of a difference when your active. Even deskbound people have face towels on them 24/7 to take care of the sweat! lol

I’m away off the mainland for the weekend so I’m not sure what I’ll be able to get done. Great spot for swimming tomorrow though so will have to seize the opportunity.

Great time out the islands over the weekend. First time ever to swim with bioluminescent plankton. Amazing! Played badminton last night. Lovely change of pace. Fecking fantastic to be doing something dynamic again. Didn't realise how much I was missing the auld badders. Few of us went at it pretty hard for about half an hour before taking it down lots of notches :D Going to play again on Thursday. Will see if I can fit some gym time in afterwards. Another typhoon incoming at the moment and I'm not sure how it's going to effect things. Will try get a run of some sort in later!

5k and a bit. 15 mins at 10k/hr, 5 mins at 12k/hr, 5 mins at 10k/hr, 5 mins at 12k/hr. Ankle was a bit stiff. Not sore but stiff. Seemed to loosen up after a while. Hopefully nothing.

• Advertisement

3k today after work. 3k with hills. Good god what a difference. Big gang of us out and about. Started off slow and broke up after 1k. Stayed with the front group. **** off steep hill right before the finish had me feeling like I was going backwards. Such a different feel to it. Great fun and must do something similar again!

edit: no idea how long it took. must buy a watch. any recommendations?

Badminton yesterday after an easy 2k. So nice to be playing again. Think I'll throw it on the back burner for a while though. Need to start getting some longer runs in. Seven weeks to go til the 10k. Plenty of time!

Today was a good day. Tried to do each kilometre at a different pace and really enjoyed it. It was nice being able to push myself for a k and know that instead of being absolutely knackered and keeling over I could just go back down to a nice slow easy pace for a bit and then pick it up again. I think this is going to help with the motivation too. Did just under 7k which is longest session so far. Will head out again tomorrow but probably take it easy. Not sure how legs will feel. Might cycle instead. Temperature has dropped under the 30C mark now and it is heavenly!

Nothing happened yesterday. I came home from work and crashed.

Today, another good session done. I like that I’m pushing myself a little more these days. Think it’s paying off too. Find I’m going at faster paces for longer. Long weekend starts tomorrow and I am off to the islands again. Three days of relaxation! Going to reward myself and enjoy a few beers I think. It’s been a while.

All the swimming, hiking, and *cough* beer from the long weekend really took it out of me. Was feeling a bit under the weather yesterday and did nothing. Hamstring is a bit tight at the mo so did a bike session earlier. 20k down. Tomorrow is another holiday here and I doubt Ill get anything much done. Hoping on Friday to get a good long, albeit very slow, run in.

As predicted nothing done yesterday. Feeling a little run down this week. Could be the drop in temperature, could be coming down with something but definitely feeling a bit off.

Another bike session today. 20k. Have a tiny splinter embedded in my foot and cant get it out. Annoying little bugger!

Still not the may west. 25k on the bike today and feeling a little better. Rest tomorrow.

Cons: Cant believe its been a fortnight. Bad, bad, bad. Went out today to get back to it. Have found myself a great park which should keep me going for a good while with a variety of routes to choose from. Today was not good however. Went out way too fast and paid dearly for it. Dont have a watch so not sure how long I was out for but I was done and dusted after 5k. Lot of work to do! Only four weeks til my 10k race :eek:

Pros: The last two weeks has seen extremely radical changes in my diet! :) Might wander over and start a food diary.

Absolutely beautiful evening to be out and about. Clear blue skies and a lovely cool 23C. Perfect! Felt much better than yesterday. Going to have to buy a watch as I am useless at pacing myself!

• Advertisement

Wont be doing anything today. Surprising gf after work for her birthday. If the weather stays like this I should be playing soccer tomorrow evening, otherwise a run.

Advertisement