Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xbox to WiMax Hub

• 26-08-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hope someone can help, I have just received my Wi max Hub and on the back it only has 1 Ethernet port ( Eircom has 4 ) It seems I need this one to connect to the pc, so how do I now connect the xbox?

Do I need to purchase the wireless adapter for the xbox?

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

The xbox has wireless so should connect automatically. If you have the old xbox you will have to buy the wireless dongle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hope someone can help, I have just received my Wi max Hub and on the back it only has 1 Ethernet port ( Eircom has 4 ) It seems I need this one to connect to the pc, so how do I now connect the xbox?

Do I need to purchase the wireless adapter for the xbox?

Thanks..

You can purchase a cheap switch for €5-€10 euro on ebay, plug both your PC and xbox into the switch, and connect the switch to the WiMax hub

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shinyboots75

You can purchase a cheap switch for €5-€10 euro on ebay, plug both your PC and xbox into the switch, and connect the switch to the WiMax hub

thanks, is there a name for it or a picture????

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You're looking for an Ethernet Switch or Hub - they're both essentially the same product, but a switch has a "brain" which manages traffic more effectively than a hub. I would imagine the WiMax Hub has this functionality built into it, but check in case. If in doubt, buy a switch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shinyboots75

Kharn wrote: »
    You're looking for an Ethernet Switch or Hub - they're both essentially the same product, but a switch has a "brain" which manages traffic more effectively than a hub. I would imagine the WiMax Hub has this functionality built into it, but check in case. If in doubt, buy a switch :)

thanks for that....again is there a name for it, what will I ask for when purchsing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

They're just called switches or hubs and there's a thousand brands making them :)

Linksys, 3Com, NetGear all make decent stuff.

Here's a decent one at a good price: http://www.dabs.ie/products/netgear-5-port-10-100-switch-22ZK.html?refs=53340000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=5+port+10%2F100+switch

100mbit switches are there. You don't need a Gigabit switch because your WiMax hub probably only does 100mbit :)

At this stage, for home networking, I wouldn't even bother going with a brandname switch. I've been using two no-name switches for years now and no problems whatsoever :)

Advertisement