Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Garmin Edge 800

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

It's even bigger than 705?! Looks good though. The touch screen makes a lot of sense, but I somehow doubt how it will work with full finger gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

mmmmmm.....shiney.......like the "weave" in the case - very carbon fibre!

I don't think it's bigger than the 705, but the screen is.

This might be one for the Christmas list.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Touch screen, hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Must say no bought two garmins already this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not sure about the touchscreen, but I find the 705 joystick is impossible to operate under duress so won't miss that.

10 data fields is useful, might mean less mode switching.

• Advertisement

I just had my 705 replaced 3 weeks ago. I wonder when it's out.

Lumen wrote: »
    Not sure about the touchscreen, but I find the 705 joystick is impossible to operate under duress so won't miss that.

What do you need to do with the Garmin when you are under duress?

Raam wrote: »
    What do you need to do with the Garmin when you are under duress?

Switch modes.

Switch modes.

I'm intrigued. How much duress are you under, and what is on the other modes that you simply have to see in this extreme moment of stress?

Raam wrote: »
    I'm intrigued. How much duress are you under, and what is on the other modes that you simply have to see in this extreme moment of stress?

I could explain the precise circumstances but it would send you to sleep.

Obviously it's not necessary, but I'm too far down the rabbit hole to turn back now.

• Advertisement

I could explain the precise circumstances but it would send you to sleep.

Obviously it's not necessary, but I'm too far down the rabbit hole to turn back now.

Explain it to me as we ride up Seskin Hill on Sunday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late

discussed here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056012446

its not a toy its a serious training aid ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,304 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Beasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Size comparison:-

IMG_9571_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Will be interesting to see if the new HR soft strap is any less **** than the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Just in case any of you were looking for a review, found one here. Think I'll have to purchase when it comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Nice review thanks, the only thing left to find out is if the touch screen survives a fall. (saying when and not if, because in my case this is common scenario).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I thought you were a SRAM man....

I'll get me coat

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,304 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Out mid-October - that's my birthday present sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Beasty wrote: »
    Out mid-October - that's my birthday present sorted!

Me Too! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

£324.38 (excluding cadence sensor and heart rate strap) from CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55544

penexpers wrote: »
    £324.38 (excluding cadence sensor and heart rate strap) from CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55544

£360/€427 for the version with heart rate strap and cadence sensor is not as bad as I thought especially since that is the price pre launch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Looks good, definitely worth the investment for the hard winter training!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoughBag

And it wil work with Vector . Garmin have bought Metrigear, see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

why oh why would you want one it's just another expensive toy no more than that :rolleyes:IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Any ideas on price yet?

EDIT: Just saw the above post.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Any ideas on price yet?
    The scroll bar in your browser is very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Diarmuid wrote: »
    The scroll bar in your browser is very useful.
    Sorry, must have had a brainfart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dexty

so how wud it work if any water gets on the screen. I hav a palm pre touch screen mobile and any bit of water on the screen sends the touchscreen haywire

also, wud polar hr strap be compatable? and do u hav to buy the maps too or r they loaded already?

dexty wrote: »
    also, wud polar hr strap be compatable?
    Doubt it.
    dexty wrote: »
    and do u hav to buy the maps too or r they loaded already?
    Some packages include detailed maps. They will be more expensive than those with just the base maps, which are rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Why do all garmin owners love them and then give out crap about them

levitronix wrote: »
    Why do all garmin owners love them and then give out crap about them

It's like your own home town. You can say what you like about it, but woe betide anyone else who says a bad thing about it.

Wiggle have some of these in stock now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Launch day price of €390 for base model in CSS next week, 20th Nov. Dan Martin will be there too with goodies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

For anyone looking to buy this before CycleSuperstore has them in stock (Nov 20th), ProBikeKit's site says they have them in stock now. You'd be paying a premium though, as from what I can see, the bundle that CSS sell is 453euro while what appears to be the same bundle on ProBikeKit is 523euro. It's hard to be sure they are identical bundles though as one site (PBK) mentions the specific model while the other doesn't, one refers to the premium HR strap while the other doesn't, etc. Clear as mud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

doozerie wrote: »
    For anyone looking to buy this before CycleSuperstore has them in stock (Nov 20th), ProBikeKit's site says they have them in stock now. You'd be paying a premium though, as from what I can see, the bundle that CSS sell is 453euro while what appears to be the same bundle on ProBikeKit is 523euro. It's hard to be sure they are identical bundles though as one site (PBK) mentions the specific model while the other doesn't, one refers to the premium HR strap while the other doesn't, etc. Clear as mud.
    The bundles are set by Garmin, so they should be the same.

xz wrote: »
    Launch day price of €390 for base model in CSS next week, 20th Nov. Dan Martin will be there too with goodies :D
    Dan Martin rescheduled for 12 December, as he's undergoing surgery for sinus problems

Edge 800 launch goes ahead tomorrow, not that I'll be going, as mine arrived earlier this week:p

From the CSS website:

20th November 1PM

Official Garmin Edge 800 Launch at Cycle SuperStore
    • Presentation of new Garmin Edge 800 will be held by Garmin Representative
    • Garmin Representative will answer all your questions related to Garmin Edge 800
    • You will be able to buy Garmin Edge 800 at special discounted price
    12th December

Meeting with Dan Martin at Cycle SuperStore
    • Garmin Edge 800 at Discounted Price at the launch day
    • Discussion with Dan about his past season in Garmin-Slipstream Team and plans for the future
    • Garmin-Slipstream free Jerseys, Water Bottles & more...
    To be confirmed early December.

Beasty wrote: »
    Dan Martin rescheduled for 12 December, as he's undergoing surgery for sinus problems

Edge 800 launch goes ahead tomorrow, not that I'll be going, as mine arrived earlier this week:p

From the CSS website:

First thoughts on the 800?

alfalad wrote: »
    First thoughts on the 800?
    Not road-tested it yet, but in terms of appearance, set-up etc:

It feels a bit sturdier (but slimmer) than the 705.

I like the large screen - plenty of room for even more stats!.

Using the touch-screen is straightforward.

Set-up of HRM, Cadence Meter and PM was straightforward - similar to the 705

The one part of the set-up that was a bit confusing was the data fields. The instructions state you go into Bike Settings and then the Data Fields menu (like the 705), but there is no Data Fields menu! I eventually worked out I had to go into the "Training Pages" menu and then into "Training Times" to choose the data to be displayed

You get up to 10 data fields on each page, and you can set-up up to 5 pages (and can "switch-off" pages you don't want)

The port cover is larger than the 705 )and 500), as it includes the Micro SD card slot as well as USB port - hopefully there is no increased risk of water getting into it.

• Advertisement

Was looking around for the new 800 with no frills, meaning minus the heart monitor and cadence, but with a decent mapping base,
    Called to a few shops here in Cork and they keep on mentioning packages available, would like to know if anyone out there has any info on this.:)

Was looking around for the new 800 with no frills, meaning minus the heart monitor and cadence, but with a decent mapping base,
    Called to a few shops here in Cork and they keep on mentioning packages available, would like to know if anyone out there has any info on this.:)
    Got mine from Wiggle, but they are already out of stock. CRC seem to havce them in now though

Ok beasty thanks! did you go with the pre-installed base maps or have a more comprehensive selection added, from what i've seen either facility is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

This guy does some of the most detailed Garmin reviews out there. Leaves no stone unturned

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garmin-edge-800-in-depth-first-look.html

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Just wondering what the basemaps are like for the edge 800? Are they as bad as some people make out, or will they do the trick. I don't need a map for precise street names but it would be handy to have a map that will be able to identify towns on your route. Would be handy if i didn't have to invest in the extra navigation bundle.

They're pretty crap, very very basic, if you're going cycling to an area that you don't know just about useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

+1 A Garmin 500 and an iPhone or GPS smartphone is way more useful.

They're pretty crap, very very basic, if you're going cycling to an area that you don't know just about useless.

Advertisement