Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinned Meat..

Options
  • 26-08-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

...Is it really "bad" for your dogs?

Currently i am changing my GSD over from pedigree maxi junior which i used to mix some tinned meat through to Royal Canin which she is now having dry and not all too impressed :rolleyes:. I've heard mixed reports on meat but pretty sure there is enough protein content in the RC so she doesn't need the tins anymore but just said i'd ask the above question..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

My lad won't touch it. I tried mixing it up with nuts, I tried mixing in chicken & ham but he won't go near it.
    However I have changed him to Bakers Complete with the moist meaty chunks & he gobbles this down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You can add a bit of warm water which will enhance the taste and smell a little bit or you can blast it (dry) in the microwave for about 3 seconds which will enhance the smell as well to make it a bit more appealing. It probably doesn't smell like dog food to your dog if s/he is used to getting tinned stuff with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Eemia wrote: »
    ...Is it really "bad" for your dogs?

Currently i am changing my GSD over from pedigree maxi junior which i used to mix some tinned meat through to Royal Canin which she is now having dry and not all too impressed :rolleyes:. I've heard mixed reports on meat but pretty sure there is enough protein content in the RC so she doesn't need the tins anymore but just said i'd ask the above question..

to be honest all supermarket dog food is not good for your dog... tinned food, pegigree chum its... its like giving a child Mcdonalds all day everyday... the reasons she like it, yes it tastes nice but it fulls of "E" numbers for dogs... if you want a healthy dog long term steer clear...

i know she's not impressed but she will adapt to her new food... ;)

cocker5 wrote: »
    to be honest all supermarket dog food is not good for your dog... tinned food, pegigree chum its... its like giving a child Mcdonalds all day everyday... the reasons she like it, yes it tastes nice but it fulls of "E" numbers for dogs... if you want a healthy dog long term steer clear...

i know she's not impressed but she will adapt to her new food... ;)

Would you include Bakers Complete in that description?
    He's on the moist meaty one & I have to say it's really suiting him, so far anyway. But I'd like your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Would you include Bakers Complete in that description?
    He's on the moist meaty one & I have to say it's really suiting him, so far anyway. But I'd like your opinion.

to be honest yes i would.... i had my cocker on Barkers (also purina beta for a time)... yes he LOVED it would wolkf it down no worris and he looked healthy etc... but had a trainer out when my guy was 15 months, as he was a TOTAL MENTALER... and she recommended i change his food straight away, amongst other things too.. changing his food really made a difference :p

So i did, i changed to Burns:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/burns/burns_adult/156518

Now my trainer didnt recommend a place to but it nor did she sell it to me, so she wasnt one of these people trying to flog her own brand food etc...

My guy hated it, refused to eat for days, and im not surpirsed compared to the barkers and others its not very appealing, but i persisted and now he adores it... once a week i add mushed sardines for his coat / joints etc...

ends up being the same price as supermarket food but far better for your dog... just my opinion...

• Advertisement

cocker5 wrote: »
    to be honest yes i would.... i had my cocker on Barkers (also purina beta for a time)... yes he LOVED it would wolkf it down no worris and he looked healthy etc... but had a trainer out when my guy was 15 months, as he was a TOTAL MENTALER... and she recommended i change his food straight away, amongst other things too.. changing his food really made a difference :p

So i did, i changed to Burns:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/burns/burns_adult/156518

Now my trainer didnt recommend a place to but it nor did she sell it to me, so she wasnt one of these people trying to flog her own brand food etc...

My guy hated it, refused to eat for days, and im not surpirsed compared to the barkers and others its not very appealing, but i persisted and now he adores it... once a week i add mushed sardines for his coat / joints etc...

ends up being the same price as supermarket food but far better for your dog... just my opinion...

Thanks, i'll have a look at the burns stuff. But since I changed his food to Bakers he seems more alert & more willing to listen to commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Theres no harm in adding wet food so long as you reduce the amount of dry food your giving him, and he doesn't become fussy and refuse to eat the dry food. Steer clear of pedigree, cesar, pal, etc. anything really that you can buy in a supermarket, if it lists meat and animal derivatives, cereals or various sugars as the first few ingredients then you may as well feed the dog muck.

Some good brands to look at would be naturediet, bozita, natures menu, james wellbeloved, porta 21, Lukullus, applaws or almo nature. The last 2 are complementary dog foods which means they do not contain all the vitamins and minerals that a dog needs so they have to be fed alongside a complete dog food, but they are brilliant for fussy dogs when you mix a bit in with the dry food.

On zooplus you can get most of these brands but most of them are available at larger pet shops like maxi zoo, jolleys and pets at home also. http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/canned_dog_food

Heres a bit of an insight into what goes into pet food. http://www.k9capers.com/feature-nutrition_in_pet_foods.asp

Advertisement