Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling clubs.

Options
  • 26-08-2010 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I want to join a cycling club but am not sure what one I should join :confused:

Do the different clubs generally do different type of spins, flat, hills?

Was out with the Dublin Wheelers once and though I really enjoyed the spin it was more or less all on the flat.

Would Orwell focus more on the mountains because of where they are based?

Is there a general rule or do all clubs tend to vary things?

Living in Clontarf but don't mind having to cycle 10km or so to the meeting point.

Any recomendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Mods - posted this in cycling adverts by mistake, could you please move.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Biased but Swords CC ;)

Lots of different spins. Especially form Jan to march we do some hilly ones. Good few aroound your neck of the woods are members as well.

The league is a great way to get into racing as well.

Orwell's a great club too but they are unfortunately Southsiders ......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

snollup wrote: »
    I want to join a cycling club but am not sure what one I should join :confused:

Do the different clubs generally do different type of spins, flat, hills?

Was out with the Dublin Wheelers once and though I really enjoyed the spin it was more or less all on the flat.

Would Orwell focus more on the mountains because of where they are based?

Is there a general rule or do all clubs tend to vary things?

Living in Clontarf but don't mind having to cycle 10km or so to the meeting point.

Any recomendations?

Thanks

Swordscc ?? www.swordscc.com We're hosting a sportive in September which will introduce you to the "hills" of North Couty Dublin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Moved per OP's request

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

RobFowl wrote: »
    Biased but Swords CC ;)

Lots of different spins. Especially form Jan to march we do some hilly ones. Good few aroound your neck of the woods are members as well.

The league is a great way to get into racing as well.

Orwell's a great club too but they are unfortunately Southsiders ......
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    Swordscc ?? www.swordscc.com We're hosting a sportive in September which will introduce you to the "hills" of North Couty Dublin.

I'm sensing a strong presence of Swords CC members here!

Have never taken part in a sportive before so think I'll make this one my first.

Thanks lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

snollup wrote: »
    I'm sensing a strong presence of Swords CC members here!

Have never taken part in a sportive before so think I'll make this one my first.

Thanks lads.

I missed it last year, and I think I may miss it this year too. Suffice to say, North County Dublin is not flat, but does not have the bigger hills that Wicklow has.

I heard last years event was fast and furious, so it should be a good one again this yere :)

I would say this: there is a lot more to cycling than cycling up hills. A flat spin can be devilishly hard if you ride fast enough. Headwinds can also make for a tough spin.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

... and steering round the potholes will do wonders for your bike-handling skills ...

The good news about that sportive is there seems to be plenty of places you can take short cuts if you are struggling

(and Swords is definitely the way to go if you are northside)

Advertisement