Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yearly Average Speed

• 26-08-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭

On reviewing my performance data on the Garmin Connect website the other night I noticed that my yearly average speed was 25.7km/h for the year to date versus 25.6km/h for the same period last year, a pitiful improvement of 0.1km/h.
    I know I have averaged 30km/h + on most sportives I have done this year which is up 2-3km/h so I am putting it down to slow speeds in training, especially on hill intervals etc.
    I have only been cycling 2 years so maybe I am expecting too much or maybe this figure doesn't really mean anything but I am curious to know what sort of yearly average speed other people are seeing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you using your Garmin outside of training/sportives, i.e. on your commute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭yoda81269

No, anytime I have cycled to work (35km each way) I use it as training spin

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There are clearly a number of factors to consider - if you are doing hill intervals, this will definitely slow you. In addition the stats can be distorted by a predominance of one particular type of cycling - my average speed commuting is much less than my average racing, and I do a lot more commuting than racing

Having said that, my average this year (29.4 kph) is slightly down on last year (29.6 kph), but I have done much more cycling, and spent a lot more time either recovering from or preparing for races, rather than pushing hard every time I go out (which was what I tended to do last year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well then it's probably just a function of numbers. Since you do 350km a week (assuming you cycle everyday), that's 9,100km over 6 months. If you've done 5 sportives this year of 200km, then assuming that your training spins are at the standard 25.6km/h, then a 10% improvement in your sportives averages, will only yield a 1% (10% of 10%) improvement in your yearly average, or about 0.2 km/h. I personally would focus on the actual improvement in sportives as opposed to the yearly average :)

Advertisement