Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48 year old mother wants to do her leaving cert

Options
  • 26-08-2010 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

My mam has been a full time carer for over 30 years and because of this she left school after her "inter-cert"...

Now as she has time she wants to do her leaving cert, its just we dont know how to go about it...

Will she have to do the whole 7 subjects or can she do a few??
    or would she be better off to do the junior cert again to get her back into studying and revision???

Any tips or ideas would be grateful :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

No idea how she'd do it, I've no advice but have to give her two massive thumbs up. Fair play to her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

I know yeh, im delighted,

she cared for her own mother all her life and raised 3 children so im pushing her to do it....

FAS will be getting a visit tomrrow anywho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,357 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Suggest she goes into her local VEC offices and tells them what she is looking for, I think she will probably find something to suit.

looksee wrote: »
    Suggest she goes into her local VEC offices and tells them what she is looking for, I think she will probably find something to suit.

Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

If its the leaving cert she wants to do, get her to contact the local vtos office. I know down my kneck of the the woods they run a leaving cert programme. I done my own leaving cert through vtos back in 2004 and never looked back.

The usual programme is they cover six subjects but the teachers are really on a level playing field with adults and they make the learning really good fun. I had the best few years ever doing this course and done really well in the leaving. Plus as I found when your an adult learning all this stuff I found I was learning it because I wanted to and not because it was being hammered into me. I would highly recommend it to anyone and dont worry about being too old there was a woman of 75 in my course!! and of course the vtos have a seperate class so your not in with a load of spotty teenagers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Oh and by the way now is the time to apply for these courses, I saw an advert in my local paper only yesterday for them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Laalaaa

You should tell her to check out qualifax.ie.....it's a great little website for info on schools and colleges around the country that do leaving cert courses......I did the adult leaving cert course last year in cork college of commerce as a mature student and ages ranged from 19 to 62 so age is nothing to worry about at all! We could choose how many subjects we wanted to study and the teachers were really understanding of the fact that many of us hadn't been in education for years so that helped a lot! Citizensinformation.ie is good for info on financial assistance she may be entitled to eg Back to Education Allowance.....I did mine through VTOS so they supplied all the books for the year! Hope this helps and best of luck!

Thank you very much for that.

Shes starting in 2 weeks time and very nervous!!!

:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Delighted for her -she'll do really well. What was required for Inter Cert. 30 years ago is a fair bit beyond what is required for Junior now.

I love to hear stories like your mam's. It's always a great day when adult students get their Leaving results.

Advertisement