Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'stray' horses

Options
  • 26-08-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

new to this 'living in he countryside' lark, and have a question.

There have been a number of 'stray' horses in the past weeks - running loose on the backroads, posing a danger to people/traffic, destroying gardens, and scaring other animals.

It seems that they were either let loose, or the owner has not noticed that their horses have escaped somehow. I have no idea who owns these horses (at the moment, there's two roaming around, there were 4 of the a couple of weeks ago), and neither have any of the neighbours I talked to.

Is there anything I can do? I don't assume the guards will be bothered by this, even though these horses running around on dark backroads at night are an accident waiting to happen...

Any pointers welcome.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Worth contacting your local SPCA and they may be able to help you. Also I would recommend ringing the Gardai as if they're a traffic hazard they might get involved and at least get them into a secure area off roads. Some places have horse pound as well. I'd start by ringing the SPCA as they may be able to give you phone numbers to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There is absolutely no excuse for horses running amock. Contact your local SPCA and next time you see them ring the guards. If the owner is innocent (ie. someone has let them out and they can't find them) they should be nothing but grateful. If they are at fault they need to pay the concequences, loose horses are both a danger to themselves and public at large.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It could be that somebody is letting the horses out of the field in which they are kept. It's not uncommon for mischief makers to do that. It could, on the otherhand, be that the owner needs to fence the field better so as to prevent the horses from breaking out.

It's not all that uncommnn for neighbours not to know who owns the horses as the filed may be rented out to someone else.

Probably best to ring the guards and let them know. I remember a friend of ours had the guards call to their house at 7am because there were horses on a main road and because there were horses in their field the guards had assumed they belonged to my friend. Thankfully they didn't, but it shows that the guards can take these things seriously and do something about it.

Advertisement