Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

40D to 7D

• 26-08-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Thinking of upgrading my camera - currently have a 40D and my thinking is to go to the 7D. My current lens collection is the 50mm 1.8, 17-55 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8L and these all play nicely with the 7D. Also I think the additional money spent on the 5D would be wasted - I'm not that good a photographer and the 7D would be all I need.

Sound logical?

Also anyone know good places to pick up a 7D - warehouseexpress/pixmania (they have the 7D body at €1,445 and €1,923!) or are there other places. Don't want to buy in the U.S. as I'd like a full 2 year euro warranty.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Bought my 7D off computeruniverse.net - was cheaper than the two prices you quoted. Also, try www.skinflint.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

elderlemon wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Thinking of upgrading my camera - currently have a 40D and my thinking is to go to the 7D. My current lens collection is the 50mm 1.8, 17-55 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8L and these all play nicely with the 7D

Yep , I have two of the lenses you listed and 70-200f/4 , only have my 7d since yesterday (from Gunns , got a very good deal) but all work nicely indeed specially my 70-200L

Also I think the additional money spent on the 5D would be wasted - I'm not that good a photographer and the 7D would be all I need.Sound logical?

Not really - both cameras have their merits, teh 7D is a very high end camera - how good a photographer you are shouldnt determine an arguement for one over the other in this instance in my opinion. Its Like comparing to ferraris , both are shiney fast awesome yokes ;-) you can drive one you can drive the other.

You should choose on your actual requirements for use. I chose a 7D over the 5D becuase it suited my requirements better than the full frame 5D, I wanted to retain the mag factor on my lenses, speed was an issue for me, the potential high ISO benefit on the 5D wouldnt have been of particular benefit to me....then cost and value was a consideration but not the only determining factor.

Also anyone know good places to pick up a 7D - warehouseexpress/pixmania (they have the 7D body at €1,445 and €1,923!) or are there other places. Don't want to buy in the U.S. as I'd like a full 2 year euro warranty.

thanks

Its a small point , but I opted to go with Gunns ,cost slightly extra v online (under a 100 quid in total) with a high quality Flash card included but I have the comfort of good local customer support if there are any problems.

Best of luck and enjoy the upgrade!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Also I think the additional money spent on the 5D would be wasted - I'm not that good a photographer and the 7D would be all I need.

Sound logical?
    begs the question as to how you think the 7D would be better for you? what are your perceived shortcomings of the 40D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

at a guess the lcd screen, the build, HD video, higher MP, AF system there are more but I'm eating some Artic Roll at the moment and not in the mood for checking out the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Good question. Most of my photography is low light, indoors and outdoors, with no flash. I also do a lot of sports.

My thinking is the 7D has better higher ISO with lower noise. This could possibly give me another stop or two on the 40D. Also the extra mega pixels could give me that extra reach (allow me to crop more while still holding quality). Add in the better focus on the 7D and there's enough there to make it worthwhile.

I also have someone who wants to take the 40D off my hands so that's another reason to jump now.

That's my reasoning but it may be flawed!
    begs the question as to how you think the
    7D would be better for you? what are your perceived shortcomings of the 40D?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'd say spend the extra bit for the 5D Mark II As you are getting a full Frame sensor.

Why would I need a full frame sensor? I agree for some people need the 5D but for my photography its would be overkill. Plus I would have to change most of my lenses and come up with another €800-€1000 just for the body.
    I'd say spend the extra bit for the 5D Mark II As you are getting a full Frame sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Xiled sniper didn't read ur posts properly at a guess.

For sports/wildlife/fps and extra reach 7D (not that the 5D II can't do any of them btw)

For quality with that hard to explain magic 5D II has it, is FF, brilliant for everything else and IQ, and finally ISO which comes into play more than u think it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I agree with the nut shell approach from AR there :D... it pretty much sums up my choice of 7D over 5D.

Make no mistake both are superb cameras and you will not be disappointed with the 7D... prepare to read a lot of manual though heh heh its a serious piece of tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭rubdub

I also upgraded from 40d to 7d and would definitely say go for it! I absolutely love the camera! absolute gem!

you can pick them up in berminghams for about €1500.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

7D is a great camera, great AF on it and to be honest, had I not got the 5D MKII I would have bought the 7D.

The 5D MKII really fails in it's 7 AF points v the 7D's 18 (or 19?)

Some magazines have done head to heads with 5DII and 7D and the 7D wins.

Many thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to go for the 7D - its got what I need and lots of room to grow. Might add in a nice prime and really blow my budget.

Advertisement