Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Habitual Residency Check - JSA Claim

Options
  • 26-08-2010 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Any answers on the below?

Someone I know has applied for Job Seekers Allowance, they have been waiting for 10 weeks now. The contacted their local welfare office and were told the claim is as the stage where it gets sent to for a Habitual Residency Check to confirm they have been in the county for at least two years.

I have a few question on this:

Does this mean they will be approved for the dole as long as they pass the HRC, I cant imagine it would be sent for this check unless it was going to be granted.

If this is the case generally how long does this process (HRC Check) take, it has been 10 weeks already. They live in Waterford where I know the wait can be up to 15 weeks (HRC Check)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

U sure its just two years??
    i moved to Ireland in april 05 took all of my things with me and bought a house
    Had a job for almost 2 years
    When i got unemployed got JSB
    Last year i did apply for JSA and it took them almost a year to say : Payment will cease as you do not satisfy Habitual Residence conditions
    Between the job loss and the JSB i was gone for a holly day of 3 months
    Thats now just 2 1/2 year ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

Yeah pretty sure, he met a welfare officer and was told it was two years. I think its a joke having to wait nearly three months for the claim to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Habitual Residence is dependant on many factors other than two years' residency here.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/pages/habres.aspx

Has your friend applied to the Community Welfare Officer while awaiting outcome of his claim application?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

all the info you need is in the link balagan posted.that will take months to process if it gone to be checked for Habitual Residence,it can often take up to a year depending on the country social welfare need to get the info from.

A lot of it is down to deciding officers spending a lot of their time doing appeals rather thaan new applications....

• Advertisement
Advertisement