Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going abroad for a year

Options
  • 26-08-2010 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'd love to head off for a year and work abroad but haven't the faintest idea how to go about it!

Ideally the states or Canada, maybe Australia.

Is this even possible? I know it won't be easy but I'd like to look into it anyway!

Any pointers to get me started?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

If you're under 30 you get get an australia or nz working holiday maker visa (direct from the dept of immigration website), and if you're under 35 you can get the canadian u35 visa with usit.

There are other options which may also be available (e.g. skilled migrant permits)

Say a bit more about your age and personal circumstances (occupation, family, etc) and you might get a better response.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    If you're under 30 you get get an australia or nz working holiday maker visa (direct from the dept of immigration website), and if you're under 35 you can get the canadian u35 visa with usit.

There are other options which may also be available (e.g. skilled migrant permits)

Say a bit more about your age and personal circumstances (occupation, family, etc) and you might get a better response.

Yep, more info would be good and we can advise you further then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

thanks guys ...

I'm 27, single, no kids, working in administration with a degree in HR

do you not have to be a student to get a visa through USIT?

*sorry, just sawy the under 35 option on the USIT website :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Orlee wrote: »
    thanks guys ...

I'm 27, single, no kids, working in administration with a degree in HR

do you not have to be a student to get a visa through USIT?

*sorry, just sawy the under 35 option on the USIT website :)

You answered your own question! I'd say the U35 program will close soon so if you're going before the end of next January you should apply now.. otherwise just wait for the 2011 programme. It costs €419 and you do need to jump through a few hoops with usit.

Working holiday maker visas are probably the most flexible as you don't need work lined up and you can use it for work or holidays. As you're single and have no kids you can apply for them.

So there's Canada, NZ and Australia. There's also Korea and Hong Kong for under 30s and Japan for under 25 (but up to 30 with permission). You can also work anywhere in the EU without a visa, and you may be able to get skilled work visas for other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Also, if you'd like to get a flavour of the different options and what other people are doing and exploring, check out the USIT Ireland Facebook page.

• Advertisement
Advertisement