Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External HDD broken

• 26-08-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

I have an Iomega External USB HDD that just suddenly stopped working.

When I connect it to my laptop it starts making the usual noises as if its booting up but then then just stops and then it never actually shows up as a drive in Windows.

I'm thinking the problem is mechanical as if the drive were corrupt Windows would tell me so or am I wrong?

I'm resigned to just getting a new one but I would like to know if its possible to retrieve all the data off the broken one at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Have you tried it a different USB port or on another machine? Sometimes external drives just don't get enough power through the USB port.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Did you let the HD drop or fall? Since it is mechanical, a fall may have damaged it.
    As above, try another power source. Or, try another USB port, usually on the back of your computer, where it's connected directly to the motherboard.

If it is banjaxed, there are people online who can salvage information from those drives. Not sure where, but it is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

bhickey wrote: »
    Have you tried it a different USB port or on another machine? Sometimes external drives just don't get enough power through the USB port.

Yes I tried to connect it to another laptop and my PS3 and both times the results were the same.

I'm thinking I might need to remove the drive from the casing and try reading it another way but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

macgrub wrote: »
    Did you let the HD drop or fall? Since it is mechanical, a fall may have damaged it.
    As above, try another power source. Or, try another USB port, usually on the back of your computer, where it's connected directly to the motherboard.

If it is banjaxed, there are people online who can salvage information from those drives. Not sure where, but it is possible.

I'm thinking it must have gotten a bang at some stage alright. I'm not the only person that uses it so I can't know for sure.

I have looked for data recovery services online but they are not cheap! I was hoping that if it was something small mechanically I could just get around that myself by reading the drive in another way.

Okay well inside the case is just a standard disk drive. If you can carefullly dismantle the shell then you may be able to plug the drive in somewhere. Alternatively you can try a USB caddy (or interface cables) to attach the bare drive to a PC.

If the drive itself has been mechanically damaged though then you've probably seen the last of any data that was on it.

• Advertisement

Okay well inside the case is just a standard disk drive. If you can carefullly dismantle the shell then you may be able to plug the drive in somewhere. Alternatively you can try a USB caddy (or interface cables) to attach the bare drive to a PC.

If the drive itself has been mechanically damaged though then you've probably seen the last of any data that was on it.

Thanks for the info.

I spoke to a friend about this and he said that I need to determine if its a SATA or IDE drive first and then buy the appropriate USB caddy.

I think I'll try open it up tonight then to at least determine this.

Sorry I should have asked how do I know from looking at the drive if its SATA or IDE?

SATA has 2 small L-shaped edge connectors.

SATA has 2 small L-shaped edge connectors.

Any chance you can post an image of what you mean?

Have a look at the connector pictures at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA and you'll get the general idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement