Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a kitchen

• 26-08-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Can you let me know how much it would cost to fit a kitchen, its an L shape kitchen, 4 metres long, 2.6 metres wide.

Units are all made up when delivered, so they just need to be fitted.

I was quoted 800 which i think is steep as i dont think they will be paying tax on this amount.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kingtorres9

Don't pay that much, with all the cabinets made up it should take no time at all. With all the chippies on the dole now you would get it done for about €200, a good days pay for anyone. Ask around and you will be amazed what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Don't pay that much, with all the cabinets made up it should take no time at all. With all the chippies on the dole now you would get it done for about €200, a good days pay for anyone. Ask around and you will be amazed what you get.

€200 to fit a kitchen? You're having a bubbly bath, but if you want to get it done for that price, you'll most likely find someone, but you'll be sorry in the end.

It can all depend on the walls, the states they are in, length of worktop, types of joints, scribing worktop, quality of walls for fixing units etc.....

€800 to fit a kitchen, what exactly are you getting for that? Are appliances fitted, under cabinet lighting and so on? sink fitted and plumbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

€200 - dream on. :cool:
    Fitting a kitchen requires some of the skills of plumbing, electrics and carpentry.
    You would need to specify exactly what units and how many together with list of appliances, to get even a rough idea.
    Things like extra power sockets, moving water and waste pipes etc. can bring additional costs.
    I am no expert but I did fit my own and I have some idea of what is involved.
    A seamless joint in a worktop could cost you €100 alone, if you employ somebody to do it.
    Have you thought about doing it yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

How long would it take a good carpenter to fit? If its only a days work then no way should he be getting €800. A surgeon wouldn't even get that :D

200 is plenty, 250 if tax is to be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

changes wrote: »
    How long would it take a good carpenter to fit? If its only a days work then no way should he be getting €800. A surgeon wouldn't even get that :D

200 is plenty, 250 if tax is to be paid.

id say to the OP
    be careful of the advice ya get and who ya listen to

for starters ,it will take more than a day to fit that kitchen ...properly

if that man is going to plumb and wire up that kitchen and has a good work history
    he probably worth paying that much or there abouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kingtorres9

Is the new units replacing old ones or is it an empty room. my quote was for a like for like replacement. If it is an empty room then maybe €800 is not bad but if its like for like then i would'nt pay more than €200. I did my own in a day (plunbing & electrics) and i am just a good at DIY not a pro.

Is the new units replacing old ones or is it an empty room. my quote was for a like for like replacement. If it is an empty room then maybe €800 is not bad but if its like for like then i would'nt pay more than €200. I did my own in a day (plunbing & electrics) and i am just a good at DIY not a pro.

was your kitchen 4m long and 2.6m wide?
    carpenter under no obligation to do either plumbing or elecs

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

endasmail wrote: »
    carpenter under no obligation to do either plumbing or elecs

The OP asked about cost of having kitchen fitted not a demarcation of trades.
    I would expect a kitchen fitter to do just that i.e. fit the complete kitchen including plumbing and electrics or arrange such works. All works covered by the quotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

I have read a lot of your replies and they all have a certain amount of credibility. For starters (no matter how many people are out of work) to have a kitchen fitted for €200 (and done properly) is a nonsense in my estimation. You have told us the length and width of the kitchen. Now why not tell us the following:

How many kitchen units?
    How many integrated appliances?
    Is the old kitchen removed or still in situ?
    Who removes the rubble/waste?
    What Electrics are involved, lights, sockets etc?
    Have you gas or electric?
    How many water appliances for plumbing?
    Do you require backsplash works i.e. tiling/glass
    Who supplies screws?
    Is the floor being tiled?

It is OK for everybody to look for the cheapest price to have a job done nowadays, and rightly so. But you must keep in mind that this is something that is going to have to last you for a number of years, so if it is not fitted properly then you are going to have problems from day 1. And remember there could be wider implications in getting a job done on the cheap. Did you know if you have a gas hob or oven going into your kitchen that it must be certified by a recognised installer! Your electrics should also be certified by a registered contractor.

Remember what might be cheap today may prove very costly tomorrow!

If you want to send me the details (by way of a PM) of what is on the list above I will be glad to give you a realistic idea of what it should cost - for a good fitted kitchen job. You see just like there are bricklayers and there are stonemasons - there are roofing chippies, there are shuttering chippies, there are cabinet makers, and there are proper Kitchen Fitters. Full kitchen makeovers was something I done a lot of and I think I have the expertise and know what I am talking about. So €200 is a nonsense. As the old saying goes LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP! Best of luck and I hope this information helps you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

My point was that if this job takes one day by one man then no way should he be taking €800 home with him at the end of an evening.

If carpenters or kitchen fitters are worth €800 a day then is it any wonder our country is in the state its in and why the building/property trade has collapsed.

The average industrial wage in ireland works out at €123 per day.

• Advertisement

danjo wrote: »
    The OP asked about cost of having kitchen fitted not a demarcation of trades.
    I would expect a kitchen fitter to do just that i.e. fit the complete kitchen including plumbing and electrics or arrange such works. All works covered by the quotation.

thats why the quote is what it is ,all works covered
    dont no what your on about "demarcation of trades" only stating a fact

changes wrote: »
    My point was that if this job takes one day by one man then no way should he be taking €800 home with him at the end of an evening.

If carpenters or kitchen fitters are worth €800 a day then is it any wonder our country is in the state its in and why the building/property trade has collapsed.

The average industrial wage in ireland works out at €123 per day.

some quick operator to finish that kitchen in one
    have a number for this superman kitchen fitter?

Advertisement