Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yay! 3 unlocked my iPhone 4!

• 26-08-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Yeah that's right... Anyone else pay the 25 Euro to get the handset unlocked on billpay? Took 10 days, they did say that it would, but it came last night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Really? They charge for unlocking? That's a bit mean.

I'm still trying to work out if there will be a jailbreak for my 4.0.2 iPhone before I head away, next week.

EDIT Damn. It looks like there won't be a jailbreak. How did you get it done? Did you ring up? I wonder if they would push it up a few days for me. There is no way it takes them 10 days, O2 had it done for me within an hour.

So, I just went through with it. I paid the 25 quid, and yer one went on to inform me that 'We have no control over the jailbreak process, Apple do that.' I was dumbstruck at this, because
    A) it's going to take 10 days when O2 did it instantly
    B) If you have no control over it, why the hell did you just charge me 25 quid?

Anyway, let's hope it happens before I go to the US. Worst case scenario, I will have to spend a bit of money roaming before it goes through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

woah woah woah, hold your horses. Can someone explain what is going on here... If you're with 3 and pay 25euro (in shop? over phone? online?) they factory (iTunes) unlock your iPhone 4 for you?

Bit of verification required.

woah woah woah, hold your horses. Can someone explain what is going on here... If you're with 3 and pay 25euro (in shop? over phone? online?) they factory (iTunes) unlock your iPhone 4 for you?

Bit of verification required.

Yup. That's what it looks like. I did it over the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

slasher_65 wrote: »
    So, I just went through with it. I paid the 25 quid, and yer one went on to inform me that 'We have no control over the jailbreak process, Apple do that.' I was dumbstruck at this, because
    A) it's going to take 10 days when O2 did it instantly
    B) If you have no control over it, why the hell did you just charge me 25 quid?

Anyway, let's hope it happens before I go to the US. Worst case scenario, I will have to spend a bit of money roaming before it goes through.

They simply mean that they themselves do not issue the unlock code; they request it from Apple who then supply it via an iTunes sync. Nor is it "jailbreaking"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I'm still trying to work out if there will be a jailbreak for my 4.0.2 iPhone before I head away, next week.

EDIT Damn. It looks like there won't be a jailbreak. How did you get it done? Did you ring up? I wonder if they would push it up a few days for me. There is no way it takes them 10 days, O2 had it done for me within an hour.

I'd say that O2 did it for you for an older iPhone and that 10 days for iPhone 4 is worst case scenario.

culabula wrote: »
    They simply mean that they themselves do not issue the unlock code; they request it from Apple who then supply it via an iTunes sync. Nor is it "jailbreaking"

I know exactly what it is, and I wasn't going to go through with it until I saw the post on the Jailbreak dev blog about how they weren't going to jailbreak 4.0.2.

I just think it's odd that they justify charging so much for what it is. I could understand a fiver or so. But all they need to do is click a button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I know exactly what it is, and I wasn't going to go through with it until I saw the post on the Jailbreak dev blog about how they weren't going to jailbreak 4.0.2.

I just think it's odd that they justify charging so much for what it is. I could understand a fiver or so. But all they need to do is click a button.
    Yes, but it's a button they don't really want to be clicking.

Johnmb wrote: »
    Yes, but it's a button they don't really want to be clicking.

Hence understanding charging some amount of money. I mean, they already have us signed up to 18 month contracts, so they will be getting their money's worth. Unless they pull an O2 and try to change the terms and conditions. Which I personally hope they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I don't think there that stupid after seeing what happens on 02 & meteor. They give the unlock code for free when you get an upgrade on bill pay so no panic to pay 25 euro if you don't need to use another sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

called 3 and said they would unlock it and it would take 10 working days and i got charged 25 euro, they do this for all phones though and have done it from the start! (they used to ask you to pay all of your line rental up front and then charge 25 euro or wait till you have finished your contract!)
    so its not to bad i suppose!
    o2 make you wait the full 18 months
    not to sure about voda though! but for non -iphones if your in contract then they'll just give it to you

crazyderk wrote: »
    o2 make you wait the full 18 months

O2 make you wait 5-6 months and satisfy minimum spend criteria, definately not 18months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

O2 make you wait 5-6 months and satisfy minimum spend criteria, definately not 18months.

I thought they might have changed that alright, when they first posted on their forum about unlocking they had posted that they wanted you to be outside of your contract! id say theyve probably relaxed on it alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I don't think there that stupid after seeing what happens on 02 & meteor. They give the unlock code for free when you get an upgrade on bill pay so no panic to pay 25 euro if you don't need to use another sim.

You sure? The last upgrade I got with them I had to pay to get the old phone unlocked. Although that was well over a year ago now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

no they dont, i got my iphone 4 on release day and its bein unlocked since the 16th of august, i requested it on the 14th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea I'm sure, you have to wait 7 days after your upgrade then there's no charge on the unlock code. That's bill pay, not sure if they'll do the same for a pre pay upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

O2 are unlocking iPhone 4 for free

crazyderk wrote: »
    I thought they might have changed that alright, when they first posted on their forum about unlocking they had posted that they wanted you to be outside of your contract! id say theyve probably relaxed on it alright!
    they never said anything like that, if ya were in contract or finished didnt matter, once ya owed no money and had topped up by 150 on prepay they unloceked them

Rafloution wrote: »
    O2 are unlocking iPhone 4 for free

I stand corrected *frantically typing in www.o2.ie*

I stand corrected *frantically typing in www.o2.ie*
    see my post on top of this page, i got mine unlocked a little over 2 weeks of getting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Simon201 wrote: »
    Yeah that's right... Anyone else pay the 25 Euro to get the handset unlocked on billpay? Took 10 days, they did say that it would, but it came last night.

Yeah i got mine unlocked last week aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

No joy with unlocking the iPhone 4 with three any more!
    I was onto them to do it last night, paid 25 quid and got a call to say I had to pay the whole contract up front before they would do it so now my 25 quid is credit onto my account.

Anyone get this done recently?
    I got my phone a week ago and I'm with them years on bill pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

dont worry slasher, 4.1 is on the way and comex has kept a hole secret from apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭rob88

my parents have been on vodafone bill pay for 4/5+ years.. if they upgraded to an iphone 4 can they request the unlock code and give me the phone and i'll stick a meteor payg sim into it?

rob88 wrote: »
    my parents have been on vodafone bill pay for 4/5+ years.. if they upgraded to an iphone 4 can they request the unlock code and give me the phone and i'll stick a meteor payg sim into it?
    afaik vodafone wont unlock the iphone yet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

rob88 wrote: »

technically yes, if vodafone unlock it for you, but then dont forget your parenst bills may increase significantly as they will be transferred to aniPhone specific plan which may include less calls/texts and still cost more than what there paying now.

kceire wrote: »
    technically yes, if vodafone unlock it for you, but then dont forget your parenst bills may increase significantly as they will be transferred to aniPhone specific plan which may include less calls/texts and still cost more than what there paying now.
    they wont unlock bill pay iphones but will on prepay
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67417383&postcount=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭rob88

those b@stards lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

keith123 wrote: »
    No joy with unlocking the iPhone 4 with three any more!
    I was onto them to do it last night, paid 25 quid and got a call to say I had to pay the whole contract up front before they would do it so now my 25 quid is credit onto my account.

Anyone get this done recently?

I got my phone a week ago and I'm with them years on bill pay.

Yeah was told the same, they don't do it anymore. Unless you pay remaining month line rental in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

how about if you buy it on prepay?

Advertisement