Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yay! 3 unlocked my iPhone 4!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Spipov wrote: »
    how about if you buy it on prepay?

May as well spend the few euro more and get it unlocked from Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

its the 3 week thing thats bugging me. need it before as a present..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I asked them to unlock it well over a week ago and I'm now in the USA. Still no unlock.

three prepay : 130 euros to be spent on credit then another 27 to unlock. b*ll0cks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Just got a call off Three, saying they wont unlock my handset untill I pay off the entire contract. Apparently its in the terms and conditions and theyre only enforcing it from the day I called in (26-8) freakin convenient eh?

I asked had they changed the T&C'S and they said no its always been there but theyre only enforcing it now. So I couldnt quote the section 17 of European electronic law thing that o2 and Meteor customers used!

There was no budging them, theyre just a bunch of robots in there it doesnt matter if theyre a supervisor or not, theyve no control and no compensation for all the bad care ive gotten! (I've had other issues)

So looks like I stick to the Jailbreak!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

When they told me that it would cost 17months X €95
    And a €25 euro unlocking fee

I asked them were they aware, I could actually unlock it for free, why in my right mind would I pay €1640 to unlock a handset.

They said it's not up to them, it's what apple has told them to do!

Happily posting this from my meteor sim! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

I asked them to unlock my IP4 and they asked for €25 and after two weeks they called me, that my iphone can be unlocked only if I pay another €1000 :-( No joke. If I knew this I wouldn't buy it. Now I have to wait f...ing 18 months. Or is there any other way, how to make them unlock it or cancel the contract without any big fees? Thanks everyone for help
    p.s. I don't like jailbreake... IP always behaves funny when jailbreaked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Martynet wrote: »
    I asked them to unlock my IP4 and they asked for €25 and after two weeks they called me, that my iphone can be unlocked only if I pay another €1000 :-( No joke. If I knew this I wouldn't buy it. Now I have to wait f...ing 18 months. Or is there any other way, how to make them unlock it or cancel the contract without any big fees? Thanks everyone for help
    p.s. I don't like jailbreake... IP always behaves funny when jailbreaked

Eh, I don't get this, why did you sign up to an 18 month contract if you're just trying to cancel it? You signed up for 18 months you should pay for that long. Next time go sim free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Three really are a joke. There full of bull aswell saying apple won't unlock the phone

i have a friend who uses a boatload of credit on pay as you go. it i got him to buy the iphone, and he used his sim in his own phone (with an adaptor), would they cop on - when it comes time to get the phone unlocked as 130 would have been spent, or they dont give a toss where the sim is used? but the sim has to be associated with the iphone when bought right?

• Advertisement

They could and prob will want the top up from when the iphone was purchased and then it can take upto 14 days for the unlock
    All in all it could take longer than it would getting it direct from apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Right, so I just phoned them. I had asked them to unlock the phone over 10 days ago, and had paid the 25 euro. However, they INSISITED today that I had to pay the remainder of the contract, even though we had not agreed to that earlier. I complained, and was esculated to another person, who had to have the whole situation explained to him. Complaining to him did nothing, so the money was credited to my next bill. I am now awaiting them to get back to me with a complaint reference number, so I can get on to Comreg about it.

I know Comreg might be useless, but sure, we will see if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

I'm sorry, but what "Comreg" is? I have the same problem... bought iphone for 18month/60euro per month cotract and they want me to pay 1000 euro for unlocking... that is just terrible... :-(

I can see where they are coming from, about unlocking, people will just jump ship, and not pay the monthly charge and move to another provider!

But if someone want's to unlock the handset to go on holiday and use a spanish sim card...that's just outrageous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

eeloe wrote: »
    I can see where they are coming from, about unlocking, people will just jump ship, and not pay the monthly charge and move to another provider!

But if someone want's to unlock the handset to go on holiday and use a spanish sim card...that's just outrageous!

Thats the route I went saying I'm going to Tahiti (I Wish) and they dont provide coverage sotherefore I cant use my phone and can they unlock so I can use it.

They promptly said
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    unless you pay off your contract!

That's what i said to them, if i had 1600 to give you, i wouldn't be in this problem....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

eeloe wrote: »

Uh? Jump ship? but they have signed a document saying they will pay a monthly bill for 18 months. What, are you suggesting that if the networks unlock our iPhones we will 'just' default on the payment and go elsewhere? That is going to get messy when 3 sell on the debt to private debt collectors.

On the other hand, I really don't see why any network wont unlock the phone when you go on a long contract. They literally lose nothing...how can they? And I'm sure if they advertised it, it would surely be a great selling point, seeing as how many of us do want an unlocked phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Clockers

Rang 3 customer service last week to get more details about iphone contract etc. Was specifically told over the phone could unlock it for 25 euro immediately. On that basis took out contract today and when called to get code, was told like so many others that I would have to pay entire contract money. Wasn't impressed, terms changed in August seemingly, so I asked was it possible that the rep I spoke to gave me the wrong info?? Upshot is I have demanded a copy of the phone call with the rep. Have her name etc, and 3 confirm her identity as correct sooooo....watch this space!!!

BTW..I've no problem with the 18 month contract or the 25 to unlock...but I have an O2 sim with lots of free calls too, all of which was informed to rep. Not going to sell iphone either to make a quick buck.

so what if ya have her name and here the call, people make mistakes so ya wont get the unlock

All operators seem to have changed their upgrade and unlock terms and conditions without warning. August seems to be the date. Anyone on O2 told recently that they cannot upgrade after 12 months??

I specifically enquired about this and was given an answer, and on that basis I took out a contract.

If 3 can refer to taped phone conversations, then it works both ways.

• Advertisement

o2 changed the upgrade criteria before they released the iphone 4, that was the whole point of a 12 month contract, for example i got my iphone 4 for 259 on an 18 month contract, for 12 months it would have bein 369 plus 5 extra per month

why should i get the same uprade offer as someone who has spent a lot more on the phone over the course of the year

The point is they never told anyone they were doing it!

I was recently in an O2 store and they knew nothing about it, and were still informing customers they could upgrade in 12 months.

how did i know about it them and i remember it being posted on the o2 forum a few times before they changed the forum aswell

Lucky I guess...as I said their own staff didn't.

Anyway enough about O2, I don't have a problem with them (my wife does!).

Let's see how I get on with 3. Will let ya all know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

This thread is bizarre and full of nonsense. Why do people think you can start a bill pay contract, pay 25 euro and have an unlocked phone? I'm aware 3 used to do this but obviously they weren't thinking properly. It makes the sim free iPhone apple sell redundant and considering apple have to provide the unlock code to the operator, they are not gonna be reluctant to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

This thread is bizarre and full of nonsense. Why do people think you can start a bill pay contract, pay 25 euro and have an unlocked phone? I'm aware 3 used to do this but obviously they weren't thinking properly. It makes the sim free iPhone apple sell redundant and considering apple have to provide the unlock code to the operator, they are not gonna be reluctant to do it.

Just because Three unlock your phone for €25 doesn't mean you're freed from the contract. They also require a minimum spend on pre-pay to cover their costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Just because Three unlock your phone for €25 doesn't mean you're freed from the contract. They also require a minimum spend on pre-pay to cover their costs.

Ah, I'll retract what I said.That has cleared it up for me, makes much more sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

3 are the only provider who actually charge an admin fee to unlock your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 StefanPLU

I am from Germany and there if you sign up for a contract (every carrier) you get always an unlocked phone.

I was sure thats normal here as well and was surprised to hear that my iphone is locked, i am travelling a lot to asia and us and have a local sim card for those countrys (much cheaper then roaming), so i need an unlocked phone.

I am paying already EUR 40 a month to them and i am on a 18 month contract, its perfect for me when i am in Ireland, it has enought minutes and texts and also 2 GB Internet, but i would not like to pay roaming charges.

Greetings

Stefan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

Is this sill the official position with 3 can anyone confirm? I saw an iphone on adverts trying to sell an iphone 4s locked to 3 and was curious

Advertisement