Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Jerky?

Options
  • 26-08-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭

Aanybody know anywhere I can find this in Galway? Either homemade or processed stuff, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

There's a few shops in town that do it.... forget their names tho

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good man salthillman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Eh, Dunnes, Tesco, Supervalu. They all do it.

Do they? What section would it be in? Ive never seen jerky in any of those shops ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Most of them have a section with cured meats and cheeses and stuff around deli areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

What the hell is beef jerky anyway?

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerky_%28food%29

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Thargor wrote: »
    Do they? What section would it be in? Ive never seen jerky in any of those shops ever.

Its called peperami or something like that, definately saw it in dunnes on the headford rd. Ask a store assistant in any shopping center for it.

Edit: That is jerky right? Ive never had it so dunno if thats what your looking for.

Nah Pepperami is a spicy sausage meat kind of thing, jerky is thin strips of meat seasoned and dried until they go all tough and chewy, Americans eat loads of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

You could order it online: http://biltong.ie/

Might want to start off with a small batch as this stuff isn't as processed (less perspectives, E-no's) as other jerkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

There ya go: http://www.beefjerkysnacks.ie/ Came across them a few months ago when they were looking for a distributor for the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

in the market on saturdays theres a south african couple selling biltong which is very popular there,better than jerky imo. cured thin strips of beef.you'll need strong teeth tho,i know a guy who lost a tooth munchin on some ha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I bought a Darina Allen book over the weekend - it has a recipe for jerky in it. If you want I can post it? (But I am aware that I seem to always be telling people to make stuff themselves.... in this case it's more because it's so difficult to find!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

in the market on saturdays theres a south african couple selling biltong which is very popular there,better than jerky imo. cured thin strips of beef.you'll need strong teeth tho,i know a guy who lost a tooth munchin on some ha

Never knew that, Whereabouts in the market is the stall?

Xiney wrote: »
    I bought a Darina Allen book over the weekend - it has a recipe for jerky in it. If you want I can post it? (But I am aware that I seem to always be telling people to make stuff themselves.... in this case it's more because it's so difficult to find!)
    Do you need a brick smoking thing in the garden to do it? If you can do it in the oven then please post, Id love to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Mactard wrote: »
    You could order it online: http://biltong.ie/

Might want to start off with a small batch as this stuff isn't as processed (less perspectives, E-no's) as other jerkies.

Its preserved naturally through drying, it will last ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

There is a recipe for Biltong and one for Jerky, both use a fan oven.... for an incredibly long time though so you'd want to REALLY want the jerky 'cause you'll be paying for it when your ESB bill comes (might be worth looking up online what it would cost to run an oven at 50 C for 15 hours - it might not be as bad as it sounds? There are a few energy calculators around, and as long as you made A LOT it may still turn out to be economical)

Jerky

1 kg topside (beef)
    175g onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tbsp white wine vinegar
    2 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or more if you like it hotter
    1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    250ml soy sauce

Cut the beef into thin 5mm (1/4 in_ strips or along the grain. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together in a bowl. Add the meat and marinate for 6 hours in the fridge. Remove from the marinade and place on a wire rack on a baking tray, making sure that the meat pieces are not touching. Put in a fan oven at 50 C/120 F for 15 hours.

I'll post the Biltong one later, gotta run!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Its preserved naturally through drying, it will last ages.

Yessir, I mentioned trying a small batch in case it's not what the OP was looking for...I've tried some of the more commercially available jerky too and the difference in taste is absolutely night and day

• Registered Users Posts: 17 t_rizzle

you can buy large bags of beef jerky in Mortons supermarket in Salthill.
    In regards to billtong its along the same lines as jerky but has a very different taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Got some in mortons salthill about a month aga it was about 4 euro for a beg of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

eagle10 wrote: »
    Got some in mortons salthill about a month aga it was about 4 euro for a beg of it.

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

sweet gonna get me some when I go to salthill tomorrow. I love jerky!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

you can get tuna jerky in the latvian shops

Advertisement