Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar Charge extra on "Extra Free"!!!

Options
  • 26-08-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

has anyone else notice Spar charge extra on products that advertise "Extra Free"??...it costs €1.36 for a 330ml bottle of Lucozade Sport, but the bottle that has "500ml for the price of 330ml" on the label is €1.89!! It's the same with Pepsi and other food products! Theft under the tree at Spar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It has come up before, they can charge whatever they want, they can also sell mulitpack bottles individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

it costs €1.36 for a 330ml bottle of Lucozade Sport, but the bottle that has "500ml for the price of 330ml" on the label is €1.89!!

Have you complained?
    When you did complain, what did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

has anyone else notice Spar charge extra on products that advertise "Extra Free"??...it costs €1.36 for a 330ml bottle of Lucozade Sport, but the bottle that has "500ml for the price of 330ml" on the label is €1.89!! It's the same with Pepsi and other food products! Theft under the tree at Spar.

Blame Lucozade, if they did not give the "Extra Free" version of the product a different barcode, the retailer would not be able to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

is that the lucozade orange sport always extra fill bottle? its 750mls in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Your not allowed to sell multi pack individually. If you see this happening report it as the shop will be fined for it.

Luzoade bar code has nothing to do with it, a shop manages the price per unit on the bar code not the producers.

For example Spar on the quay by Tara St sell 500ml luzoade for 1.60, Eastpoint Centra is 2.30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Your not allowed to sell multi pack individually. If you see this happening report it as the shop will be fined for it.

I don't think so.. There is nothing legally stopping a shop from splitting packs and selling them for whatever price they wish..

The distributor may take offence and stop supplying that shop but thats about it.

IF the multi pack item says on it, not to be sold seperately, this is consider terms of the agreement and contract with the reatailers?

Maybe they wont get fined, but i know of one shop that i reported for it , stop doing it pretty much that day after i reported them for it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

To whom did you make your report?

I reported it to the suppliers of the product and they told me they will look into it and take the necessary steps.

Just challenge the shops on it, they soon back down if you say your going to the suppliers about it.

Shops too long have been ripping consumers off, time to stand up to them.

It looks to me as if telling the suppliers is the only line of action a consumer can take. Then it is the supplier's call. Not all suppliers will face down all retailers, and suppliers are especially slow to take on big retailers.

I have a strong dislike of sharp practice by retailers. The only one I have seen breaking multipacks has lost my custom (for more reasons than that one incident; retailers who indulge in sharp practice generally do a number of things that I think wrong).

• Advertisement

Agree againts the big supermarkets you wont win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I reported it to the suppliers of the product and they told me they will look into it and take the necessary steps.

That's pretty much all you can do. There is no law to stop a shop from charging as much as they want for any product. The supplier could decided to stop supplying that shop, but they would be cutting off their own nose there. More than likely nothing will be done.

The best thing to do is stop using that shop, and let the management know that you've stopped, and the reason for it. If enough people tell them they will no longer spend €10, €20, €50 or whatever a week in the shop, all because of 50c on a bottle of Lucozade, then maybe the shop will stop doing that.

Also Spar are not a fault here. Spar is just a brand, and they don't set prices or own the shops. The individual shop owner sets the prices, it's got nothing to do with the Spar organisation. Your issue is with this particular shop, not Spar in general.

Whatever you think about the big retailers, I have never seen any sign of their breaking up multipacks or doing other things that undermine a supplier-funded promotion.

[Often it is because they have persuaded -- or bullied -- the supplier to underwrite some special deal.]

Blame Lucozade, if they did not give the "Extra Free" version of the product a different barcode, the retailer would not be able to do this.
    They could still charge a different price, I very much doubt barcodes have any basis in law. All it would do is cause trouble for shops who use barcode scanning rather than old style price tags. Even with barcoding they could overlabel them with a new barcode to differentiate the 2.
    Your not allowed to sell multi pack individually.
    Yes you can, this has come up in many threads. One person had contacted coca cola to report it and they said there was nothing they could do, and that it was perfectly legal.

Some distributors/suppliers might threaten to refuse the shop any goods. Also I expect some of the branded fridges might be paid for by the company, like a lucozade fridge and they might withdraw it if people are selling mulitpacks.

Also once again people are jumping in with the presumption that the end seller is the one "ripping you off", for all we know the wholesaler could be charging spar more for the larger bottles. I would think this would be common enough practise since if a manufacturer has 50% free on something the shopkeeper can expect a higher turnover and so the manufacturer and/or wholesaler could charge more. If a shop gets in products I expect they could have automatic margins set for them, e.g. all soft drinks get 30% added to cost price, in which case you should expect a difference in price.

With crisps they seem to have less stringent tolerances on the weights. I think they process pack them quicker and have wider variations, so 1 pack might be 20g and the next 30g, while they all average 25g. This might be a legal issue if they are sold with a stated weight individually. Another legal issue might be declaration of ingredients, most mulitpack bars have no info on them, though neither do many cookies or cakes etc sold in shops so I am not sure about the law on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Worked in shop and often saw this occur especially where t wo items banded together and sold an BOGOF,much greater profit selling two units for cost of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Now and again in my local Tesco I've picked up a can/bottle of Lucozade only to discover at the till they will not scan as they've got "not to be sold separately" marked on the bottle.

The check-out staff say "Sorry, we can't sell you this on its own as it's loose". So, it seems that it's OK for some retailers to sell and not others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Just challenge the shops on it, they soon back down if you say your going to the suppliers about it.

Shops too long have been ripping consumers off, time to stand up to them.

The suppliers cannot dictate anything to the shop.

The shop is under no obligation to listen to them. Lucozade cannot stop them and if they did supply them directly, then the shop can just buy it elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In Tesco they break open multipacks of Murphys draught.

The customer grabs the can and proceeds to the checkout but of course it has no barcode. Hardly the customers fault, single can and we don't check items for barcodes.

So the shop assistant leaves you standing at the till while they go to the shelves to get another can or just to check the price. The customers behind you shake their heads and tut tut like you are deliberately holding up the queue.

More commonly, the cashier ask you the customer what the price is and then enter it manually on the till.

Realy, there has to be a better system then this :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Now and again in my local Tesco I've picked up a can/bottle of Lucozade only to discover at the till they will not scan as they've got "not to be sold separately" marked on the bottle.

The check-out staff say "Sorry, we can't sell you this on its own as it's loose". So, it seems that it's OK for some retailers to sell and not others?

Or maybe they do not have an open button to scan it in with.

Or maybe its company policy to do this so it discourages peoples from breaking open packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

ok, is there a question of legality in terms of false advertising somewhere along the line? I know the shop is not claiming you get anything free, but the bottle clearly states its 500ml or whatever "for the price of 330ml"...and you get charged more!
    And no, i didn't ask them about it because i was on my lunch...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Your . If you see this happening report it as the shop will be fined for it.

Who would be imposing the fines?

Lucozade? - No because the shop will delist the product.

Gardai - No, because there is no law against this.

Consumer association - No - as per gardai answer.

I've seen shop sell multipack items individually but at a lower price than normal - as for the saprs / centras it is just a silly error by one of the staff.

The product comes in, the staff look at it. 500ml lucozade, they check price for 500ml locozade on their system and enter it.

To get it changed, let the shop manager know, and it will probably be done in minutes.

Tesco could sell it if they wanted to, they just do not have it on there system as a single item so it cannot be scanned. I often pick up cheap drink in tesco in the "damaged goods trolley", it is full of bashed cakes etc but you get mulitpack cans/bottles which are not sold singly, often around half price. They just put a different label on it with either a barcode or just a handwritten number which the cashier can put in. Now if a rep from coke or heineken came into the shop it is not like they are blatantly opening up multipacks and officially selling them, but they would not expect them to throw them out.
    In Tesco they break open multipacks of Murphys draught.

Realy, there has to be a better system then this :mad:
    The "they" is customers doing it, I often see large signs in supermarkets asking customers not to break open mulitpacks. This problem really boils down to the manufacturer insisting on different barcodes or no barcodes on mulitpack items, and people ripping open boxes they should not.
    is there a question of legality in terms of false advertising somewhere along the line?
    I very much doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

when i said "legality" i am referring to Consumer Law, Sale of Goods & Supply of Service etc. not criminal law... A few people have said "no" that there is not a breach any legislation but have not given a reason why...it's misleading to have "free" advertised on something and then to be charged for it. I sure that you cant have false or misleading advertising...maybe i'm wrong?

A few people have said "no" that there is not a breach any legislation but have not given a reason why.
    The reason is there is a free market, they can charge what they want and you can decide to pay or not. I am not sure what other reason you really want, it would be sort of like me saying is it illegal to wave my hands up and down 6 times in my own house, and people say of course its not illegal, and then I ask -where in the law does it state I can do this, if there is no law saying you can't then you can presume you can.

Have a look through here http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2007/0607/b06c07d.pdf

I skimmed through a bit and only see this
    (6) Without limiting subsection (5)—
    (a) if the commercial practice involves a representation or
    creates an impression (whether in advertising, marketing
    or otherwise) that a product was previously offered at a
    15 different price or at a particular price, consideration shall
    be given to whether the product was previously offered
    openly and in good faith at that price and at the same
    place for a reasonable period of time before the representation
    was made, and
    20 (b) if the commercial practice involves a representation or
    creates an impression (whether in advertising, marketing
    or otherwise) that a product is being offered by a trader
    at or below a price recommended by the manufacturer,
    producer or supplier of the product (other than the
    25 trader), consideration shall be given to whether that
    recommended price was one recommended in good faith
    by that manufacturer, producer or supplier.
    so seems you cannot have fake RRPs listed, which is not the same thing as is being asked here, but in other threads people did question if shops could charge more than the stated price on things, e.g. a pack of biscuits with 99cent written on it by the manufacturer, or packs of ham etc -and yes the shop can charge you more than what is stated.

There are also laws to stop you saying "was €5 now €2" if it was only €5 for maybe a single day. But there seems to be no law to the opposite situation, which is what this "free" business sort of is.

Advertisement